• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CLOSED! Five KEY Comics for Sale

59 posts in this topic

Hi welcome to the boards.

For a purchase of this amount would be best to have some references.

Do you have an e-bay account as example you could share?

Or some UK board members / dealers that might vouch for you. (thumbs u

Hi, yes I do.

eBay - User ID - krystalmaria12

100% record and used daily for both buying and selling. I'd sell via eBay, though I don't like the idea of them taking a 10% cut... Saying that they have been frequently giving me free listings with 75% off FVF's so if they do again anytime soon that could be an option.

If somebody does buy them here though I had planned to send a full invoice via Paypal, and of course they will be shipped in a bomb-proof package and fully insured so we are both protected.

Have I priced them fairly? I'd appreciate some feedback on my price here.... I could probably count the amount of comics I've sold in my lifetime on my fingers! A year into collecting and I've done nothing but buy, and spent a small fortune in the process! I'm treating this sale as a reward to myself for all the work I've put into my newfound love for comics :)

Dan

Have I priced them fairly? I'd appreciate some feedback on my price here....

Dan

Probably best to ask for pricing feedback via PM, but that is your call.

In order to price them though, you really should include grades and provide details on any non-visible defects; as well as, disclose any restoration, loose or reattached pages/cover and missing pieces.

Since you asked - I'd think your set may sell for about half your asking price especially since the X-Men 1 is a Pence copy. I'd check to see how much each one is selling for on E-Bay and then knock 10% off for selling on the boards and then knock an extra 10% off for the bulk purchase. Hope this helps.

Since you asked - I'd think your set may sell for about half your asking price especially since the X-Men 1 is a Pence copy. I'd check to see how much each one is selling for on E-Bay and then knock 10% off for selling on the boards and then knock an extra 10% off for the bulk purchase. Hope this helps.

This...

Since we're talking about it, I might knock off a bit more for the 'bulk'. They're keys, which obviously helps, BUT what are the odds that someone OTHER than a dealer would want all five comics? And dealers TYPICALLY prefer a higher profit margin than 10%-20%, especially since they're more likely going to have to pay taxes (not that the rest of us don't), and they are more likely to rely on the comics for their livelihood, so tying up that much money for 'common keys' for not great return doesn't sound that appealing. And for those 'collectors' that might want 1-3 of these, they still have to spend time and money to sell the ones they don't want to keep.

btw, the big scans are great. but most people would still want a grade estimate and/or description of flaws to spend THAT much money. Unless you are or expect to be dealing with people where a few hundred dollars here and there doesn't mean too much, in which case, congratulations.

Since we're still talking... Why bulk these? Its only five comics, its not THAT much more trouble to do five separate deals. If you're trying to maximize value, why not sell individually? Unless you're desperate to sell them faster or your time is really worth THAT much (congrats again!). IN which case, you probably should price them well lower and just be done with it (or an ebay auction and roll the dice)

All right chaps, all fair points. The price is not set in stone... There is some wiggle room...

But half price and then another 20% off that... Really? $1,800?

No. No way. They probably stand me at that. And they are worth more than that.

I thought to sell them together so it was one deal, one package, one payment. It is on that thought I am offering freepost worldwide.

If somebody wants to buy one or two then that's fine too but postage and insurance will be on top of any price we agree. Which is probably off putting. So IDK?

Regarding grades and grading, I'd rather not go there. But since you ask I'll have a crack.

X-Men #1 - 3.5

X-Men #1 Giant-Size - 6.5

X-Men #94 - 6.5

New Mutants #98 - 9.4

Jimmy Olsen #134 - 7.0

And there's really no hidden faults with any of them, all are attached firmly by the staples, no loose or detached centre pages... Obviously all complete, no bits missing or nothing. No graffiti inside. No tears or spine splits. To my eye, no restoration of any kind.

There is the slightest of nicks to the bottom back cover of GS#1, and some indentation squiggles top left, like someone has doodled on a piece of paper over the cover, both hard to see but there if you look.

If you click on the scans you'll be taken to the hosting site and be able to see them without the text down the right edge.

I don't need to sell them... If they sell so be it, if they don't... I'm happy either way. Be nice to be paid for once that's all. And I'm trying to build up a little bank so I can try and buy some collections next year, that's the way it's done right?! :)

Ok lets do quick but friendly math, I'm going to assume you don't have gpa and use ebay finished sales (so this is how I might have done MY math if I was trying to evaluate this deal IF I didn't have GPA).

X-men 94 CGC 6.5 selling for somewhere between $250 and $300 (generously), so lets say $200 for raw.

NM 98 for a raw 9.4, $300 seems about right whilst being generous.

X-Men 1 Giant CGC 6.5 selling for like $550-$600, generously say the raw is $500.

Jimmy Olsen $175 on a good day? call it $200 to be nice and keep it even.

Generous Subtotal so far: $1200

X-Men 1 cgc 3.5 (non-uk) sold a few weeks ago for $2,200. So how much for a raw, UK copy, with an unverified (and exceedingly common) signature? $600 doesn't seem insane (though it probably could be higher, but we went on the high end with the other books).

So now we're at 1800, and still haven't gotten to the 10% for ebay fees and whatever 'bulk' discount there might be. And I get that there's a lot of value in a price including shipping and insurance too. From a very new seller to the boards who doesn't seem to have confidence in their grading? Trying to sell to some of the most experienced, sophisticated, knowledgeable comic buyers available? Put yourself in the mindset of a potential buyer. Why would someone want to buy all of these books right now from you?

At half someone would probably be getting a deal (depending on how the grades end up), but not an unfathomable or ridiculous one.

Ok lets do quick but friendly math, I'm going to assume you don't have gpa and use ebay finished sales (so this is how I might have done MY math if I was trying to evaluate this deal IF I didn't have GPA).

X-men 94 CGC 6.5 selling for somewhere between $250 and $300 (generously), so lets say $200 for raw.

X-Men 1 Giant CGC 6.5 selling for like $550-$600, generously say the raw is $500.

X-Men 1 cgc 3.5 (non-uk) sold a few weeks ago for $2,200. So how much for a raw, UK copy, with an unverified (and exceedingly common) signature? $600 doesn't seem insane (though it probably could be higher, but we went on the high end with the other books).

So now we're at 1800, and still haven't gotten to the 10% for ebay fees and whatever 'bulk' discount there might be. And I get that there's a lot of value in a price including shipping and insurance too. From a very new seller to the boards who doesn't seem to have confidence in their grading? Trying to sell to some of the most experienced, sophisticated, knowledgeable comic buyers available? Put yourself in the mindset of a potential buyer. Why would someone want to buy all of these books right now from you?

At half someone would probably be getting a deal (depending on how the grades end up), but not an unfathomable or ridiculous one.

with that being said, the comics are yours, and it's obviously your right to attempt to sell at prices that fit your goals and preferences. Don't let anyone bully you or pressure you into making a deal you're not comfortable with.

Who said half price?

I said they may sell at half - if someone really wants a pence X-Men 1 signed by Stan. I'd probably start the price at $2,000 and probably have to break up the set to come close to that amount.

Who said half price?

I said they may sell at half - if someone really wants a pence X-Men 1 signed by Stan. I'd probably start the price at $2,000 and probably have to break up the set to come close to that amount.

+1 see my terrible analysis above.

Who said half price?

+1 see my terrible analysis above.

Not terrible. OP asked for opinions, and yours is well argued, and in the main I agree with you. When I first saw this I came out with $1250 for the 4 "subtotal" but I didn't know how to evaluate the X-Men 1 pence copy, I have no experience with that.

My 2c is also to sell separately, and put the NM 98 in the Copper/Modern.

and these are great books, keys are king, and these are very nice copies for the grade. :)

Not to pile on but I'd have to agree the assessment. UK copies are tough to move unless deeply discounted. However, you've got some great titles... very desirable, but just not at the current ask.

Not to pile on but I'd have to agree the assessment. UK copies are tough to move unless deeply discounted. However, you've got some great titles... very desirable, but just not at the current ask.

OP - my recommendation is that if you really want close to $4,500 for these books you are going to have to sell them somewhere else. Even if you got the same value of $2,200 as a Cents copy for your X-men 1, you are still >$1,000 off your asking price (which in reality if you got $800 for your copy I would do a backflip if I were you) - which is quite a discount. This generally isn't a place where people spend more than FMV, honestly it is quite the opposite.

I hope for your sake you did not spend as much as you are asking for on these books. If so, I would stick around and learn from some of the people here so you can avoid a similar mistake in the future.

Good luck!