• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CLOSED! Five KEY Comics for Sale

59 posts in this topic

I realize I'm new around here, but to be fair, people list books on here for prices far above FMV all the time.

How often do they sell for well "far above FMV"? I pay pretty close attention, I don't see a whole lot of that.

Seems to me like it is fairly rampant. However, most people don't invite comment on it.

I've had a good think about this and here's what I'm going to do...

The X-Men #1 I'm keeping. I'm going to send it for a clean and press in the new year and have it forwarded to CGC for an official grade. I'll likely then whack it on ebay with a high price and if it sells so be it! If not no worries.

The other 4 I will leave here on sale. You can buy them all together for $1,250 (as recommended) free post.

Or, you can buy them separately. I'm breaking them down as follows -

X-Men #1 G-S - $600

X-Men #96 - $325

New Mutants #98 - $400

Jimmy Olsen #134 - $175

If you want any two I will knock off $50. If you want three I will knock off $100. If you take all four it's $1,250... A saving of $250.

I realize I'm new around here, but to be fair, people list books on here for prices far above FMV all the time.

How often do they sell for well "far above FMV"? I pay pretty close attention, I don't see a whole lot of that.

Seems to me like it is fairly rampant. However, most people don't invite comment on it.

It's rampant that they SELL far above FMV?!?!? Really? Wow.

I've had a good think about this and here's what I'm going to do...

The X-Men #1 I'm keeping. I'm going to send it for a clean and press in the new year and have it forwarded to CGC for an official grade. I'll likely then whack it on ebay with a high price and if it sells so be it! If not no worries.

The other 4 I will leave here on sale. You can buy them all together for $1,250 (as recommended) free post.

Or, you can buy them separately. I'm breaking them down as follows -

X-Men #1 G-S - $600

X-Men #96 - $325

New Mutants #98 - $400

Jimmy Olsen #134 - $175

If you want any two I will knock off $50. If you want three I will knock off $100. If you take all four it's $1,250... A saving of $250.

GLWTS!

And just regarding the value of my X-Men #1. Check this out!

ebay

If I should 'do a backflip' as one chap put it, if I sold it for $800... What did the seller of this one do... A quadruple backflip with two and a half twists and a cherry on top! lol

Look at the state of it! I wouldn't pay $200 for that and it sold for $1,650!

And just regarding the value of my X-Men #1. Check this out!

ebay

If I should 'do a backflip' as one chap put it, if I sold it for $800... What did the seller of this one do... A quadruple backflip with two and a half twists and a cherry on top! lol

Look at the state of it! I wouldn't pay $200 for that and it sold for $1,650!

I think you're missing the point. What you cited above is a slabbed US version and what you have here is a UK version which is worth much, much less than a comparable US version. This isn't opinion, this is substantiated fact.

All that said, I do think if you get it slabbed and it hits the 3.5 mark, that you'll get more than $800 for it.

Yep, I hear you on the whole pence is worth less thing. Frankly I find it bizarre since they were printed at the same time in the same place and they are that much rarer... But that's an argument for another day!

Personally I'll take a pence copy any day of the week over a cents copy in exactly the same condition if I can get it for 70% of the cost of the cents. But then I would being an Englishman. I'm slowly but surely collecting all the pence copies I can find, as well as cents, I want runs of both :)

Yep, I hear you on the whole pence is worth less thing. Frankly I find it bizarre since they were printed at the same time in the same place and they are that much rarer... But that's an argument for another day!

Personally I'll take a pence copy any day of the week over a cents copy in exactly the same condition if I can get it for 70% of the cost of the cents. But then I would being an Englishman. I'm slowly but surely collecting all the pence copies I can find, as well as cents, I want runs of both :)

I agree with you on many points concerning the pence vs. cents issues. The pence issues usually had a much smaller run and it would seem being rarer, they would command more $$$, but the market dictates what it does I suppose. Perhaps it is nostalgia (wanting the same issue you had in your youth, cents included) Who knows? There was a Spidey #1 pence issue at my LCS for $1,200. If it was in better shape, I would have grabbed it.

I agree with you on many points concerning the pence vs. cents issues. The pence issues usually had a much smaller run and it would seem being rarer, they would command more $$$, but the market dictates what it does I suppose. Perhaps it is nostalgia (wanting the same issue you had in your youth, cents included) Who knows? There was a Spidey #1 pence issue at my LCS for $1,200. If it was in better shape, I would have grabbed it.

Some reason I really hate Pence copies - never owned one that I can remember. The cover just looks "weird" to me but not really sure why since the pence logo is such a small part of the cover.

GLWTS I will say it seems like you are falling into the newbie trap of thinking you will realize a profit in less than a year and pricing based on slabbed books nit raw. If you paid FMV at the time you bought them, you will not see a profit for some time, most of the time.

Its totally the same thing except for the $60+ slabbing fee, shipping and insurance both ways, the professional grading, the slabbing, the professional resto check (and page count!), and the fact that the OP doesn't appear to be too confident in his own grades.

Interestingly, Canadian versions don't seem to have the same stigma. Sure, I've met a few people who don't like Canadian priced books, but just as many who seek out these books. Probably because US+ CAN both use $$ dollars.

There are a lot of "fluke" sales on eBay. Some people feel the rush from wanting to win something and often over pay. The reverse is also true... an item could easily fly under the radar and some lucky bloke picks up a deal. Most people here tend to know what the books are worth. What you should be looking at is consistency and a trend that's supported by multiple sales.

Slabbing the X#1 may help but you'll be pumping more money + time into the book and it may not realize the grade that you think it should be. Perhaps the strategy should be to try and sell it locally as a RAW book. Often with RAW books, you're also selling the "dream" of getting a nice grade... which can be a selling point.

So you are happy to buy it at 70% of the cost of a cents version but you want to sell it at 100%...?

:shrug:

Slabbing the X#1 may help but you'll be pumping more money + time into the book and it may not realize the grade that you think it should be. Perhaps the strategy should be to try and sell it locally as a RAW book. Often with RAW books, you're also selling the "dream" of getting a nice grade... which can be a selling point.

So your advice is to sell it RAW to someone locally with the "hope" it may grade higher? A little disingenuous right?

if the xmen 1 were to be slabbed now it would get a green label right? so is the value that is coming up that people are talking about, are they for qualified pence copies or signature series books or just copies with scribbles on the front cover...not trying to bash or anything but interested on how something like that affects the price

if the xmen 1 were to be slabbed now it would get a green label right? so is the value that is coming up that people are talking about, are they for qualified pence copies or signature series books or just copies with scribbles on the front cover...not trying to bash or anything but interested on how something like that affects the price

there is also the option of treating the signature as a defect and getting the blue label, which is probably the most preferable option here. THe lower the grade, generally the lower the impact of the sig on the grade. sooo there's that. Being British doesn't not generally make one 'qualified'

The sig would have little to no impact on the grade at this grade level. This is a G/VG or VG- book at best.