• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CLOSED! Five KEY Comics for Sale

59 posts in this topic

if the xmen 1 were to be slabbed now it would get a green label right? so is the value that is coming up that people are talking about, are they for qualified pence copies or signature series books or just copies with scribbles on the front cover...not trying to bash or anything but interested on how something like that affects the price

there is also the option of treating the signature as a defect and getting the blue label, which is probably the most preferable option here. THe lower the grade, generally the lower the impact of the sig on the grade. sooo there's that. Being British doesn't not generally make one 'qualified'

ok cool. I was just curious because I thought that books that werent signed with a rep on hand would always get a green label. I didnt realize that if the grade was low enough it would count as another defect.

Slabbing the X#1 may help but you'll be pumping more money + time into the book and it may not realize the grade that you think it should be. Perhaps the strategy should be to try and sell it locally as a RAW book. Often with RAW books, you're also selling the "dream" of getting a nice grade... which can be a selling point.

So your advice is to sell it RAW to someone locally with the "hope" it may grade higher? A little disingenuous right?

That's not what I meant. A local person may appreciate the Pence stamp more in the same way that Canadian collectors appreciate the Canadian Whites. Also, all RAW books have some degree of risk and reward. As you know, many people buy RAW so they can slab it up and sell for more money. By selling the book RAW, the potential upside becomes a selling point for the next buyer who is willing to take the risk. The process is no different than buying and selling any other RAW book.

I would sell the X-Men 1 on ebay.co.uk low keys like this will fetch similar prices to their cents counter parts on there, high grade is where the big differences in prices are, most of us in the UK don't care if it's pence. Anyhow cents version is a reprint of the pence copy, as most likely the pence ones were printed up first (lol, hehehehe, ooops). I reckon it would fetch somewhere between $1400-$1700

Not sure what this price is in dollars but it looks very similar to the book offered (possibly a bit better but bad pics make it tough).

X-Men 1 Pence

Whoops - after looking at the back cover it's the same book. lol

I would sell the X-Men 1 on ebay.co.uk low keys like this will fetch similar prices to their cents counter parts on there, high grade is where the big differences in prices are, most of us in the UK don't care if it's pence. Anyhow cents version is a reprint of the pence copy, as most likely the pence ones were printed up first (lol, hehehehe, ooops). I reckon it would fetch somewhere between $1400-$1700

This isn't entirely true. Simple searches of eBay sold records show that your pricing is not accurate.

This raw copy is several grades nicer than the one posted and it sold for £1,550 or $1,672.

Pence Copy sold on ebay.uk

not signed.

:gossip:

I guess no one has to answer to anyone, but this kind of bothered me. I assume he is the buyer of that UK post or known about it because he did some research and posted the following to justify a much higher price for his book (not to mention his following posts about being happy to pay 70% FMV for pence copies). It just seems shady to me, but that's just opinion.

And just regarding the value of my X-Men #1. Check this out!

ebay

If I should 'do a backflip' as one chap put it, if I sold it for $800... What did the seller of this one do... A quadruple backflip with two and a half twists and a cherry on top! lol

Look at the state of it! I wouldn't pay $200 for that and it sold for $1,650!

:eek:

OP should close this down and start fresh. And just price his books how he wants and let the chips fall where they may.

OR - find another place to post/sell them.

Well,that's always an option. This is pretty much the worst place in the world to sell raw common books for a premium.

OP should close this down and start fresh. And just price his books how he wants and let the chips fall where they may.

Well,that's always an option. This is pretty much the worst place in the world to sell raw common books for a premium.

So true!

Honestly, off the top of my head, I cannot think of a worse place at all...

So true!

There isn't one... I thought I knew a lot about comics.. Then I came here and realized I'm practically a noob to collecting compared to alot of the boardies here.

So true!

There isn't one... I thought I knew a lot about comics.. Then I came here and realized I'm practically a noob to collecting compared to alot of the boardies here.

I always equated it to trying to sell a used car in a room full of car dealers. There are some real positives to selling on the boards but it's definitely not the place to get 2x FMV on books.

Good work Sherlock!

That is the book I bought :)

The guy had it up as an auction with a start price of £750 and I offered £500 which was accepted... I said all this in the 'please grade my' part of the forum so I don't know why it's 'shady'.

Still worth more and I'll make some money on it when it sells. For now I'm happy to own it.

And yes, I should not have invited discussion. Whilst interesting, and I'm all for talking, a sales thread is definitely not the place.

This is a good place to sell though. I've been looking into postage costs to the states and it isn't too bad at all. If I get some time this weekend I'll look into opening a new thread offering many more books for sale. Cheers.

CLOSED!

Good work Sherlock!

That is the book I bought :)

The guy had it up as an auction with a start price of £750 and I offered £500 which was accepted... I said all this in the 'please grade my' part of the forum so I don't know why it's 'shady'.

Still worth more and I'll make some money on it when it sells. For now I'm happy to own it.

And yes, I should not have invited discussion. Whilst interesting, and I'm all for talking, a sales thread is definitely not the place.

This is a good place to sell though. I've been looking into postage costs to the states and it isn't too bad at all. If I get some time this weekend I'll look into opening a new thread offering many more books for sale. Cheers.

CLOSED!

Great 27th post!

WTTB!!!