• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Noob's Guide to GA Books

28 posts in this topic

It's certainly a pretty book.... and I think YOU will like it...... but it will likely precipitate a long downward spiral into the Golden Age Maelstrom ..... but that's not always a bad thing :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

It's certainly a pretty book.... and I think YOU will like it...... but it will likely precipitate a long downward spiral into the Golden Age Maelstrom ..... but that's not always a bad thing :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

Yeah, I have several others picked out. Just those GA books can get so expensive. I almost pulled the trigger on a few more already, and am excepting donations of pretty books. :P

One thing I notice about GA...... high grade isn't always king...... especially when the book approaches 1K ....... many very sharp 5.0 to 6.5 copies can be had for decent prices with eye appeal that does the trick. Sometimes those 5.0's will sell like hotcakes and the 4 figure HG's will sit. If you find yourself drawn to some of the 2nd tier publishers, like Quality or Fiction House, there are still bargains to be had. GOD BLESS...

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not really interested in resale at all, this is more for general knowledge.

I have an Overstreet Guide - I'll browse through it.

With GA hero books, SA, CA, etc. it's safe to say #1's and first appearances dictate value over the rest (with other factors at play as well... i.e. grade, PQ, # printed, etc)

however, with most GA books (ones with soldiers on covers, half naked women, horror covers ,etc) they aren't necessarily #1's or first appearances of any particular character.

Is it safe to say most/all GA books are very collectible?

If you are getting interested in GA, the Gerber guides are a must.

These days, covers drive most of the market. There are handful of artists -- Schomburg, Raboy, Baker, Cole -- almost all of whose covers are highly collectible. Most Good Girl Art covers are widely collected, as are WW II covers, particularly those featuring Hitler.

The importance of covers can be seen in the often dramatic difference in collectibility (and price!) between certain issues and the issues surrounding them. Headline Comics 8, for instance. Or Real Life Comics 3. Both feature dramatic Hitler covers and are sought after by collectors who have no interest in any other issues in those runs.

If you get into GA collecting, I think you will find that the challenge of locating books is much more fun than with SA, BA, or later books.

Welcome aboard!

These are all good points. It is a cover driven market. In fact, that's how a lot of folks collect GA these days. I don't want to undercut great interiors, but there are good sources for copies and archive editions that won't break the bank. These allow for greater appreciation of GA interiors while maintaining a slabbed collection (reproductions are rarely a satisfying alternative to the real deal, but they can supplement it). It all depends on his preferences and collecting interests.

One thing I can say definitively, if Michelangelo wants to hold onto most of his cash, he'd best stay away from Timelys! lol

:cry:

Its a good point about reprints and GA covers. Many, many, GA collectors go for the covers and not necessarily fist appearances. Then there are the ones like Captain America Comics #3 which has a cool cover and it is the first cover appearance of the Red skull. Great book; really pricey. I, like everyone else, recommend you buy the Gerber Photo guides to GA comics. Spend time going through it and making note of the covers you really like. You might find the next big thing and make a fortune but you will definitely own some cool comics that caught your eye! :cloud9:

Last thing is that Timelys are horrible. Ugly covers, horrible interiors. :sick: I understand that PreCode Horror (PCH) is an under-appreciated GA category. Maybe you should start there. :whistle:

One thing I notice about GA...... high grade isn't always king...... especially when the book approaches 1K ....... many very sharp 5.0 to 6.5 copies can be had for decent prices with eye appeal that does the trick. Sometimes those 5.0's will sell like hotcakes and the 4 figure HG's will sit. If you find yourself drawn to some of the 2nd tier publishers, like Quality or Fiction House, there are still bargains to be had. GOD BLESS...

The term bargain being a little relative, meaning $ 50 to $200 for a nice looking book and not 4 figures. But I agree, look for how the book presents and do not get stuck on grade. Colors that look awesome (many are faded or colors seems off, but are high grade) are way more important than a high grade.

If you are getting interested in GA, the Gerber guides are a must.

Absolutely! And once you get into a series you like, finding one not pictured in the guide is very satisfying! Gerber and the Overstreet price guide would be the two requisite items to begin with.

Last thing is that Timelys are horrible. Ugly covers, horrible interiors. :sick: I understand that PreCode Horror (PCH) is an under-appreciated GA category. Maybe you should start there. :whistle:

Pass over here what you've been smoking, por favor...:wink: