• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective #27 vs. Marvel #1

43 posts in this topic

Sorry I misunderstood that your book and heritage's were different in content (two versions of SCE books) Sometimes it's really hard to express in foreign language what I mean.

Did a web search and found some good info:

"Three editions of the 1954 giveaway comic "Donald Duck Tells About Kites" are known to exist. Those produced for the Florida Power and Light Company and the Southern California Edison Company are virtually identical, with one minor variation in the text. For the Pacific Gas and Electric Company, however, Barks provided three alternate panels incorporating a warning about broken power lines into the story.

In the Southern California Edison Company edition, panel 3 on page 7 shows Donald telling the nephews to call the Edison Company to send a lineman to retrieve a kite that is tangled in power lines; panel 4 (which is the width of the page, as wide as two normal panels) shows the lineman returning the kite.

In the Pacific Gas and Electric Company edition, panel 3 shows Donald telling the nephews that they must notify Pacific Gas and Electric about a broken power line; panel 4 shows the ducks preparing to telephone the company; and panel 5 shows a nephew writing down "Never touch fallen electric wires. Report them to P.G. and E. or to your parents" as one of his kite safety rules.

The final panel on page 8 shows all of the kite safety rules. There are seven for Southern California Edison, and eight for Pacific Gas and Electric, "Never touch fallen electric wires" being the extra one. (In the Pacific Gas and Electric edition, rule 7 of the Southern California Edison becomes rule 8; the electric wire rule is shown as rule 7.)

Michael Barrier wrote about the story: "Barks's vouchers show that Western accepted eight pages of pencil roughs on June 17, 1954, and accepted another eight panels of roughs and six inked pages on July 8, 1954. This would indicate that some of Barks's pencils were inked by another artist, but there is no noticeable variation in inking styles in the story; all looks like Barks's work. Since this was an unusual book, it seems likely that either his records, or Western's, or both, failed to reflect accurately the work that was done."

So I guess that overstreet info about Barks not inking all pages is just BS as I suspected.

How to recognice Florida Power version is still a small mystery, do even experts know what to look for? Or is it just simply different text in 1st page label.

I am sceptical that the "Florida Power" version exists. Given that OS

persistently has been wrong about pag 8 since the 1970s, it's a little

harder to give credibility to the other details. Gerber shows pics of

the SCE and PG&E copies and only list these in the index. If the

Florida copy does exist, it would have to be the rarest variant of

any Disney comic ever published - even rarer than the special edition

of WDCS #4. I know many Disney collectors with near complete runs

of everything ever published, but none of them has ever seen the

Florida Kites.

My Grandfather had worked with FP&L since the mid 40s when he returned from the war, I asked him about it (back in the 80s) and he said he had never heard of it being produced or he would have brought one home for my dad and uncle.

I even got a chance to go with him one day to one of the main offices in Ft. Lauderdale when he was finishing up a training manual and did some snooping in their archives and could find no reference to it.

Not saying it doens't exist, but I couldn't find any reference to it the day I was looking.