• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC war comics: where to begin?

103 posts in this topic

Jimjum pointed me to some comics on ebay, lhcomics, so I picked up four war comics. So that gives me five to start the new year one the one from blazinbob arrives. I'll post pics one they're here.

:applause:

Looking forward to seeing them!

I enjoyed putting together the: Our Army at War 1-80 run so much, that now that I have completed it,..i almost want to do it all over again !!!!!

:gossip: GI Combat................... GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Course, if you're going to get #128, you might as well go for the #129 because of the cool triple vertical panel cover. . .

oaaw129.jpg

. . .but then it makes sense to get the remaining triple panel covers in #134-137 also.

Course, if you're going to #128, you might as well go for the #129 because of the cool triple vertical panel cover. . .

oaaw129.jpg

. . .but then it makes sense to get the remaining triple panel covers in #134-137 also.

:cloud9:

I know I know,.. and speaking of those Sgt Rock issues ,.. I have only seen issue #84 come up for sale THRICE in the last four years....ANYWHERE !!!!

Wow, talk about scarce.

84 is tough. A mid grade copy came up for sale on the boards within the last year and I jumped on it.

Well, DTD, what can I possibly add now that hasn't already been said?

The advice given, and points made so far in this thread are terrific.

As Hepcat said, only you can decide what you like. My advice, try a bit of this and a bit of that, and pretty darned soon, you'll know exactly what you like.

For me, I always enjoyed DC war as a kid. The Unknown Soldier, Sgt. Rock, and the Haunted Tank were my favourites.

In 1993/94, when I discovered Chris Pedrin's Big Five Information Guide, I knew EXACTLY what I wanted to focus on. There was a checklist inside, showing me all the titles and if it was a key of any sort. There was a section that broke down every single book, telling us what stories were in each issue, and who the creators were. He included a price guide and gave thoughts on which books were undervalued at the time. There were articles to read, specifically about these books or characters, that you would not find anywhere else. Not to sound too dramatic, but this book was easily the most important discovery in all of my comic collecting days. It turned out to be an integral part to what molded me into the man I am today. I'm laughing as I'm typing this, but it's absolutely true.

Here's what I would do, if I were to try to add a bit more to what has already been said:

You can buy comics, one by one, and pick up these great reads (and I encourage this, because, as mentioned before, they're fun to collect and the smell...oh, the smell) :cloud9:

or you can

Buy the Showcase Presents volumes (they're cheap).

• Enemy Ace Vol. 1

Enemy Ace stories from:

Our Army at War #151, 153, 155

Showcase #57-58

Star-Spangled War Stories #138-152, 158, 181-183, 200

Detective Comics #404

Men of War #1-3, 8-10, 12-14, 19-20

The Unknown Soldier #252-253, 260-261, 265-267

DC Special #26

• Haunted Tank Vol. 1

Haunted Tank stories from:

G.I. Combat #87-119

The Brave and the Bold #52

Our Army at War #155

• Haunted Tank Vol. 2

Haunted Tank stories from G.I. Combat #120-157

• The Losers Vol. 1

The Losers stories from:

G.I. Combat #138

Our Fighting Forces #123-150

• Men of War Vol. 1

Men of War #1-26

• Our Army at War Vol. 1

Our Army at War #1-20

• Sgt. Rock Vol. 1

Sgt. Rock stories from:

Our Army at War #81-117

• Sgt. Rock Vol. 2

Sgt. Rock stories from:

Our Army at War #118-148

• Sgt. Rock Vol. 3

Sgt. Rock stories from:

Our Army at War #149-180

• Sgt. Rock Vol. 4

Sgt. Rock stories from:

Our Army at War #181-216

• The Unknown Soldier Vol. 1

Unknown Soldier stories from:

Star Spangled War Stories #151-190

• The Unknown Soldier Vol. 2

Star Spangled War Stories #191-204, Unknown Soldier #205-216

• The War that Time Forgot Vol. 1

"The War that Time Forgot" stories from:

Star Spangled War Stories #90-128 (129-137 not included)

• Weird War Tales Vol. 1

Weird War Tales #1-21

--------------------------------------------------

The biggest surprise for me, that came out of these Showcase Presents, was The War That Time Forgot. This collected the majority of the dinosaur stories, printed in Star Spangled War Stories. When collecting DC war books, I nearly always passed on the dino issues, as I felt they were over-priced in the guide, and hokey for bringing dinosaurs into the stories. However, after picking up the Showcase Presents with these stories, I absolutely loved them! In fact, it was the hokeyness (sp?) and far-fetchedness (sp?) that I really enjoyed.

If it's the art and the stories that you're after, don't worry too much about grade. So much of this great genre can be had for so little, even most of the key books, to be honest. If you go to shows, most dealers should be willing to sell their low-mid grade war books for half guide. If they aren't willing, then I would suggest passing because the next dealer will be. 2c

EBay is also a great source to pick some books up, but I would be patient and pick and choose what you buy. Auctions will usually bring you your best deals, where as buy-it-nows usually only help the seller and the impatient buyer.

Good luck going forward, sir. I am envious. (thumbs u

Lastly, thank you, DavidTheDavid! I just realized that you're helping me get some content ready for next year's. War Report, that will be printed in the upcoming Overstreet Price Guide. (worship)

Andy

Agreed, all great advice. And if you ever get bored, you may find yourself picking up things like this:

P28T5Ish.jpg

Great page!

Or something like this :grin:

GIC273Glanzman.jpg

Or this.

Heath%20E1T%202-3_zpsnwvkv66p.jpg

Uhhhhhhhh.... (wipes mouth and picks chin up off of floor)