• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice from veteran collectors: how do you fund your purchases?!

165 posts in this topic

No wife....no kids....and have a career where you can progress (I truly love the single life and I never wanted any kids). Or simply be born into a family that has a lot of money. Or be one lucky guy and hit the lotto. Last option but the sad one is receiving a inheritance left by loved ones and using it for your own hobbies.

In my case I share my hobby with my brother so we buy key books together and we both have careers and make enough money to enjoy or love for our hobbies. He has kids and a wife (she also has a very good career) but not me....I have my cat and that is more than enough for me.

School....school and more school (I went to college and then to university and worked my but off for many many years....most days where 14 hours to 16 hours non stop 7 days a week and then go to sleep for 8 hours or so and start all over again.....not much time to play around but I knew it would pay off in the long term) and then climb the ladder at work....it took me a lot of hard work to get where I am and like many people I did not have a life of luxury before putting in all the effort. My family was just a normal blue collar family.

But if this is not for you do a trade like say a electrician or a plumber all trades now pay very good money (and there is nothing wrong at all being a trades person). I have a family member who is very very good at his trade and on good days he pockets a 1000$. That is a lot more than you need to enjoy a hobby.

I'm just going to cut and paste an old conversation I had with another board member.

quote=oakman29]First off I have been collecting comics for nearly forty years,but besides my ASM run of AF 15,ASM 1-current I was lacking in the "big grails".

I make a very good living,but living in California,with a house,supporting two grandkids and everything else involved,it was tough to build a collection that I wanted.First off you need to set goals,and be very focused.

Okay here we go!

Get yourself a savings account at a bank that is separate from the current bank you have,no debit cards(too tempting).Then every paycheck put in 20,40 or whatever you can comfortably afford to put into that account.You have to mentally forget that that money is in there,and to never withdraw EVER! Until your goal has been reached.

Never,ever tell your wife/girlfriend you have this account,or you have lost the battle.Buying shoes and purses instead. :makepoint:

Okay now that you have your account,you need a goal.Let's say you want a Hulk #1 in 3.0,and you know Hulk 1's in that grade go for around 4K, so you start building up your savings account for this Hulk 1,remember stay focused! Don't buy every little thing that looks shiny to you,or you will have lost the battle.Staying focused is the key here.Then when you have reached your goal of 4K you purchase your book,and set a new goal,and start saving for that one.

I only buy one big book a year,and that's fine.I have been able to get the"big grails" I've always wanted.I can usually save up around six thousand a year,putting money in that I would otherwise use to get coffee at Starbucks.So instead of coffee I'm setting a goal and keeping it for an ultimate payoff in the end.

The money in your account grows real fast when you ignore it,so good luck,stay focused on your ultimate goal.

sandiegocomiccon2011004.jpg

020.jpg

lol

I wish I could get a Hulk 1 3.0 for $4k!!!

Great advice bro!

I just bought what I could when I could. You can't rush your collection if your buying keys unless your loaded. I am not loaded. Just always enjoyed comics and chose to spend my extra money buying comics. Personally I have just collected Marvel, which I always enjoyed more then other companies.

Buy what you enjoy, when you have the cash for it. Before you know it, you may have a pretty cool collection.

I forgot to mention I do not gamble, drink, smoke or take any type of drugs (nothing against the weed smokers I just prefer being 100% sober) so that saves me a lot of money.....I also almost never go out to restaurants to eat I enjoy cooking at home much much cheaper.

I also gave up the luxury of owning a car 6 years ago and take the bus that saves me a lot of money each month and I actually enjoy the bus more much less frustrating and you have the time to read your comics what more can I ask for. Yes I rather own my comic books and other collectibles than having a car....as you get older cars are not that important to most people.....I think lolll at least not to me!!

I also do not travel maybe one day I will once a year but not much more than that. My life is my hobbies and I am very happy with it that way!!

So yes there are a LOT of sacrifices involved but if you love your hobbies as much as some of us you will put in the effort.

I thought maybe this was a hobby for the ultra wealthy...or perhaps the collectors with the mega keys had gotten into the hobby many years ago before the explosion in prices, etc.

But it seems that the bottomline here is just SAVE and stay FOCUSED on maybe 1 or 2 keys a year.

I thought maybe this was a hobby for the ultra wealthy...or perhaps the collectors with the mega keys had gotten into the hobby many years ago before the explosion in prices, etc.

But it seems that the bottomline here is just SAVE and stay FOCUSED on maybe 1 or 2 keys a year.

Pretty much. Save, set goals and you can attain most of what you want.

I am 100% zen...little turds like you have nil effect on true functional adults. They wish they did but they do not!! Why because we actually have a life unlike people like you. You are a bottom feeder nothing more and nothing less.

Still with the insults, doesn't fell very "zen."

:shrug:

(thumbs u