• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ok have at my Avenger King-Size #1

73 posts in this topic

Been a bit since I posted a book in here for a bit so I thought I'd go with a interesting one I haven't seen in here. Avengers King Size Special #1 the 25 cent square bound from 1967. Its an original owner copy from a collection I bought 2 years ago and exhibits great gloss with off-white to yes WHITE pages. The spine is super tight and intact, no spine split at all. There is an accumulation of surface wear - however the 2 main creases IE one on top of Powerman's head and the other through Madarin's Nose are both Production Creases.

AvengersKS1.jpg

AvengersKS1bk.jpg

It's the accumulation of defects for me. Hey, I don't win grading contests, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over what I think. 27_laughing.gif

But the major creases on the front of the spine, match up with the ones on the back, so my sense is the entire book took a major bending in two places. Looks like the spine may have been cracked in those two areas. I don't remember seeing any special criteria for grading squarebacks printed anywhere, though. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ok Jbud.. ya know I love ya.

But I gotta ask.. exactly how would you define the term.. super tight?..as in the spine is super tight.

Perhaps we use the term for different things.

I call a spine tight if it is nearly defect free.. not just still attached to the book.

(not trying to bust your chops here, I just want to determine how we define some of the adjectives we use to describe our books.)

And as far as an overall grade goes.. it really is a 4.0 , 4.5 at best... heavily soiled front and back,wrinkled spine, major indents/blunting to top edge, multiple CBC's on top bottom corners, and several severe spine gashes that appear to affect more then just the cover.

A solid book it is, just in need of a cleaning and some love.

Great reader copy to have on hand, and keep.

Ze-

Ok Jbud.. ya know I love ya.

But I gotta ask.. exactly how would you define the term.. super tight?..as in the spine is super tight.

Perhaps we use the term for different things.

I call a spine tight if it is nearly defect free.. not just still attached to the book.

(not trying to bust your chops here, I just want to determine how we define some of the adjectives we use to describe our books.)

And as far as an overall grade goes.. it really is a 4.0 , 4.5 at best... heavily soiled front and back,wrinkled spine, major indents/blunting to top edge, multiple CBC's on top bottom corners, and several severe spine gashes that appear to affect more then just the cover.

A solid book it is, just in need of a cleaning and some love.

Great reader copy to have on hand, and keep.

Ze-

What I meant is that the spine is not split and still retains its square structure. Its not squashed or offset like alot of spines you see on square bounds. The spine is also very secure. There is an accumulation of Dirt, but no staining and a lot of the goss and reflectivity is retained. I will agree that there is an accumulation of surface wear here. But the comic does NOT have that well read VG feel to it - its one of those Paradox books. It wasnt read to death and retained a lot of its original freshness, but it was moved around a lot and picked up defects a long the way.

I apologize for the links and am in the process of moving all my scans to Photo bucket having become very frustrated with Yahoo Geocities, its free but is always down.

There is an accumulation of surface wear - however the 2 main creases IE one on top of Powerman's head and the other through Madarin's Nose are both Production Creases.

I'm in with the 4.5 - 5.0 with a cleaning crowd sumo.gif

hi.gif J

gossip.gifthose are NOT production creases btw - no way no how gossip.gif

Can I post my copy? Can I?