• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please REgrade this...

37 posts in this topic

Very cool. Thanks for the response. Here is the real grade:

UPSci3V.png

Id sell that for 9.0 GPA and go buy a real 9.0 with the money.... (still nicer than mine!)

There again, in my eyes if a book doesn't look 9.0 (or whatever) even if it's graded as such, I won't buy it. That SA #208 is nearly flawless and yet garnered an 8.5. Good deal for me because I can buy it as an 8.5 with a little premium added because of the signature.

Even with the small scans, we can certainly see discrepancies in grading. What does one do with a 9.0 that looks like a 7.0? Especially possibly the most sought after bronze age book?

It would be interesting to see how a dealer might deal with this should you offer it to such. Would they simply offer you a % of a 9.0 pro forma or would they evaluate the book?

A dealer would offer me a third of GPA, likely. Like they always do. I have to think they would eyeball the book in the process and make a determination that this isn't a 9.0 regardless of the CGC grade and offer me less. If I sold it, I'd get a pittance from a dealer, then they would try to sell it at full 9.0 to the next person who wants this admittedly awesome issue, then the new owner at a later date would be stuck at sale or upgrade time trying to sell a GL #76 9.0 with claw marks all over the spine.

I have a 7.5 GL #76 that looks happier than this 9.0. I guess I am just trying to illustrate that a 9.0 grade doesn't necessarily mean the eye appeal is going to be 9.0. As strange as this sounds, if the above 9.0 were mine, I'd be tempted to crack it out, resub and hope for a lower grade just for the sake of realism.

I've noticed this kind of grading isn't unusual for this particular book either. They seem to tend toward higher grades but when you scrutinize them, I at least end up saying "no way". Even some of the 9.2's, and 9.4's don't really hold up to the grades. 9.4's look like 9.0's to me. I have seen some 9.6's that are sick and have a price tag to go along with it. I dunno. I'm a neophyte to all this, but a 9.0 should look better than this one, especially given the issue and demand for it.

I had this ASM 252 graded onsite at the Baltimore Con last September. Very clean book except for the upper left corner (see pic). I was pleasantly surprised to get the 9.8. Conversely I also submitted a She-Hulk 1 at the same time and it had just the tiniest non color breaking spine tic and it came back 9.2.

2e6g7f9.jpg

I had this ASM 252 graded onsite at the Baltimore Con last September. Very clean book except for the upper left corner (see pic). I was pleasantly surprised to get the 9.8. Conversely I also submitted a She-Hulk 1 at the same time and it had just the tiniest non color breaking spine tic and it came back 9.2.

2e6g7f9.jpg

What will happen when/if you try to sell it as a 9.8 and the buyer notes the ding? Haggle? Then what is really being said is that "this isn't a 9.8."

2e6g7f9.jpg

What will happen when/if you try to sell it as a 9.8 and the buyer notes the ding? Haggle? Then what is really being said is that "this isn't a 9.8."

This particular example aside, these days it's necessary to look for high quality scans of the any book one is interested in as far too often one reads, "No returns on 3rd party graded books."

I find it duplicitous for a seller to stand behind the label and not the book. :sumo:

2e6g7f9.jpg

This particular example aside, these days it's necessary to look for high quality scans of the any book one is interested in as far too often one reads, "No returns on 3rd party graded books."

I find it duplicitous for a seller to stand behind the label and not the book. :sumo:

... I don't know if duplicitous is the right word..... someone pays a third party for grading to avoid the whole grading debate and hair splitting sessions..... although if the book is offered without pictures or scans I might have to agree. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

2e6g7f9.jpg

I would tell the potential buyer that the "ding" is a bindery tear and as such....

CGC graded it as a 9.8 because it is production related.

It is haaaaard to see but if you look closely, that is all there is, to it.

I would stand firm on the grade that CGC assigned, and the price.

No need to haggle on 9.8's.

If it is sold on eBay and the buyer wants a refund, then the seller *should* tell the buyer to send it back.

If I were the seller, I would accept a return.

I sure as Hell wouldn't listen to any talk about a partial refund, based on a book with a bindery tear, that is CGC graded at 9.8.

The buyer would be responsible for the original shipping and return shipping.

It would be interesting to see how a dealer might deal with this should you offer it to such. Would they simply offer you a % of a 9.0 pro forma or would they evaluate the book?

A dealer would offer me a third of GPA, likely. Like they always do. I have to think they would eyeball the book in the process and make a determination that this isn't a 9.0 regardless of the CGC grade and offer me less. If I sold it, I'd get a pittance from a dealer, then they would try to sell it at full 9.0 to the next person who wants this admittedly awesome issue, then the new owner at a later date would be stuck at sale or upgrade time trying to sell a GL #76 9.0 with claw marks all over the spine.

I have a 7.5 GL #76 that looks happier than this 9.0. I guess I am just trying to illustrate that a 9.0 grade doesn't necessarily mean the eye appeal is going to be 9.0. As strange as this sounds, if the above 9.0 were mine, I'd be tempted to crack it out, resub and hope for a lower grade just for the sake of realism.

I've noticed this kind of grading isn't unusual for this particular book either. They seem to tend toward higher grades but when you scrutinize them, I at least end up saying "no way". Even some of the 9.2's, and 9.4's don't really hold up to the grades. 9.4's look like 9.0's to me. I have seen some 9.6's that are sick and have a price tag to go along with it. I dunno. I'm a neophyte to all this, but a 9.0 should look better than this one, especially given the issue and demand for it.

There is no need to sell CGC graded books to a dealer, just pop a slab on eBay at below GOA via BIN and it will sell quickly.

As far as the grade if 9.0 I will go the unpopular route and say that a 9.0 is a fair assesment.

Besides the spine tics, it is a very tight book.

I also think that the PQ plays a bigger part in grading a book than others on here apparently do.

If the book had cream/ow pages...or even OW pages, I could see an 8.5.

White PQ means the papers' very tructural integrity is as sound as can be.

That is what I think was the "decider" between CGC giving this book a 9.0.

Very cool. Thanks for the response. Here is the real grade:

UPSci3V.png

I would have said 8.5 . IMO, too many spine tics to qualify for 9.0 .And I just got out of another thread that said CGC is grading tight . Interesting.

I'm sorry, but I have an old label 8.0 that looks nicer than this 9.0

Small scans --- but there are rounded edges and a good number colour breaking creases, perhaps even on the lower right corner. Nice book but I'd probably be in the 8.0 camp.

I, too, have a number of 8.0s that show better -- though perhaps they are on the other end of the pendulum swing and are undergraded. (shrug)

I'm amazed that this book got 9.0

Multiple spine tics, rounded corners, crease lower right

I've also seen 8.0s that look better

2e6g7f9.jpg

... I don't know if duplicitous is the right word..... someone pays a third party for grading to avoid the whole grading debate and hair splitting sessions..... although if the book is offered without pictures or scans I might have to agree. GOD BLESS...

I favor offering refunds on graded books, however I agree completely with jimbo. Not duplicitous. This is why grading companies exist. The problem is that even a grading company cannot be consistent 100% of the time. Buyers need to educate themselves (buy the book, not the label) because sellers are certainly not going to sell a 9.0 graded comic with a disclaimer that it looks more like an 8.0

At least I've never come across anyone who does that.

2e6g7f9.jpg

I would tell the potential buyer that the "ding" is a bindery tear and as such....

CGC graded it as a 9.8 because it is production related.

It is haaaaard to see but if you look closely, that is all there is, to it.

I would stand firm on the grade that CGC assigned, and the price.

No need to haggle on 9.8's.

If it is sold on eBay and the buyer wants a refund, then the seller *should* tell the buyer to send it back.

If I were the seller, I would accept a return.

I sure as Hell wouldn't listen to any talk about a partial refund, based on a book with a bindery tear, that is CGC graded at 9.8.

The buyer would be responsible for the original shipping and return shipping

A bindery tear means the cover is torn, doesn't it? Production related or not, in my mind that removes it from 9.8. It's a ding at the very least.

What it boils down to is appearance. The GL 76 has white pages, yes. But it has claw marks on the cover as well. I can't see the pages if I don't bust it out and so I am actually buying a cover.

I'd never sell anything to a dealer. Only other collectors. But at the end of the day, some potential buyer will look at the cover and decide this is no 9.0. As I say, that SA SS #208 is flawless in hand and garnered an 8.5.

2e6g7f9.jpg

I favor offering refunds on graded books, however I agree completely with jimbo. Not duplicitous. This is why grading companies exist. The problem is that even a grading company cannot be consistent 100% of the time. Buyers need to educate themselves (buy the book, not the label) because sellers are certainly not going to sell a 9.0 graded comic with a disclaimer that it looks more like an 8.0

I don't want to be argumentative on this point but how close is this to saying, buy the label and not the book?

2e6g7f9.jpg

I don't want to be argumentative on this point but how close is this to saying, buy the label and not the book?

...... I offer returns on CGC books here, but not eBay...... too many folks on eBay like to return empty boxes. Another boardie once said (paraphrased....) "I don't want to become someone's escrow service in their search for books with upgrade potential....". That is a valid concern in my opinion..... as there are collectors who just aren't as honorable as you, Dennis. I would definitely allow you to return a slab..... I know I wouldn't find myself thrust into some ankle grabbing session with a slick operator. One thing I do know, I'm more likely to go for a slab if someone takes the time to detail the defects that DON'T show in the scan...... and the simple solution to this problem would be for CGC to provide a searchable database for grader's notes.... but alas, that ship has sailed. GOD BLESS...