• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about address label on Foom magazine

11 posts in this topic

A label is an "after market" addition that's post-production, so I'd think would impact the value overall whether it's on or if it's gently removed or it's just torn off recklessly. Ultimately, the condition of the magazine will be determined based on the condition from it's original form.

With standard magazines, collectors prefer newstand editions over subscription editions with labels printed on the magazine or adhered to. In many cases the labels were done with rubber cement, so peel off easily. Other times you can put a hair dryer to warm the glue to peel it off, or for older publications maybe crack the glue.

In that way 'tho it's partially why some feel CGC signature series in itself is a flawed grading standard since there's after-market alterations (not restoration of course) with a signature on it, so by unbiased grading standards there should be a penalty for that. But I also heard that the grading company has subjective exceptions based upon the age of the book, so a 7.0 golden age vs a 7.0 silver age vs a 7.0 modern age would have different defects and not at all look the same, not judged by the same standard, which seems odd.

If I recall correctly. aside from the first 3 issues which came in a nifty envelope, when I originally subscribed, all subsequent issues arrived with a subscription label affixed to the outside. Since FOOM was a subscriber only publication, and not sold on stands or otherwise, don't all issues after the first three have labels? I saved a few of my issues and they all have the labels. Did anybody buy issues off the rack, or did Marvel make FOOM a newsstand mag after a certain point?

No. I subscribed early on and they had a special deal arranged with Steranko who designed at least the first few issues. I ordered my sub as a sort of fan club kit originally. It came with the first 3 issues, a bunch of stickers, a poster signed by Steranko and a membership card and maybe some other stuff. I still have it packed away, but I do remember the mailing envelope is very striking...a close up of The Hulk with his mouth open and that's where the mailing label went. I must have subscribed after 3 issues had been completed, because after that all issues came with the label affixed and not in any more envelopes.

I actually suspect it was the latter. Probably the fan club was an after thought once they had subscriptions underway. Maybe they printed too many of the first 3? In other words, aside from the fan club versions of numbers 1-3, every other example of FOOM would be a subscription copy with the labels attached (unless down the line they did the same thing with other issues they had too many of and did the fan club thing again). I can't remember any further solicitations for FOOM once I joined up....probably because it wouldn't have mattered much to me already being in the club, so to speak....