• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cardboard is cut, I'm ready to get back in

54 posts in this topic

i swear, the cardboard is what slows me down the most. i keep on telling myself i will make a stack like this, but i don't. doesn't help that i accidentally stabbed myself in the chest with my exacto last time i was cutting up a batch and it got a little infected.

They're about 8.5' x 12", gives about an inch all around most books and still just fits inside a 9.5x13.5" standard bubble-mailer envelope. .

All layered in opposite corrugated direction (horizontal and vertical) for solid protection.

Cut by hand with a box-cutter (and two new blades) and a large metal straight-edge from fresh boxes from Costco (found a stack of large unused boxes).

Took a few days (couple hours a day). But I hate having to cut cardboard and so I try to get it over with all at once - should last me a while.

i swear, the cardboard is what slows me down the most. i keep on telling myself i will make a stack like this, but i don't. doesn't help that i accidentally stabbed myself in the chest with my exacto last time i was cutting up a batch and it got a little infected.

Oh OUCH!

WTH!? Damn, you stabbed yourself in the chest!? Yeah, those blades will get ya' if you try to rush!

Amatuers.

boston.jpg

And cross stack the grain of the cardboard, IE layer running north/south, next layer

running east/west, third layer running north/south again.

Then glue all three together with Elmers school glue.

Amatuers.

boston.jpg

And cross stack the grain of the cardboard, IE layer running north/south, next layer

running east/west, third layer running north/south again.

Then glue all three together with Elmers school glue.

The boxes I had started out at about around 3' x 4', and some were even larger.

None of them would fit in that cute little desktop paper-cutter you got there. ;)

I run my boards horizontal and vertical, but if I used six boards (I assume you put three on each side since you glue them together), they'd never fit in the mailers I use.

If I had a book that I thought I needed three boards per side (higher $$ book), I wouldn't waste three boards - I'd put them in a wraparound cardboard mailer wrapped with bubblewrapped and padded with filler and put inside a priority box.

:cool:

Jeez.

Just buy more. I get anywhere from twenty to forty such pieces a week via the mail or UPS. When the double stack reaches about three feet, I end up throwing the rest away. Maybe I'll offer them for sale here and establish another revenue stream.

I've seen sheets of cardboard for sale at Staples and places but they don't look very thick or strong, but these were free and were great quality cardboard.

Where do you buy yours?

I use the 9" x 12" pieces that you can order from Uline (30 cents each if you buy 1000+). I know it sucks to pay 30 cents a piece (or 30x2=60 cents per shipment), but it is so nice not having to cut it yourself, and they are all nice and uniform.

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-3384/Corrugated-Pads/9-x-12-150-lb-Corrugated-Pads?FromOrderHistory=Y

I don't think 9" would fit in the mailers I use (unless I get wider mailers or trim each board). And buying the cardboard would triple my cost of packing materials. (mailers are 30cents each). BUT, it would save me some time... but that time is basically leisure time watching movies or a game on TV. Hmm... hm

I still like free. :grin:

I don't think 9" would fit in the mailers I use (unless I get wider mailers or trim each board). And buying the cardboard would triple my cost of packing materials. (mailers are 30cents each). BUT, it would save me some time... but that time is basically leisure time watching movies or a game on TV. Hmm... hm

How much is your time worth?

How much is your time worth?

Exactly, but you can't get paid for every hour you are awake, that's why he said leisure time.