• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cardboard is cut, I'm ready to get back in

54 posts in this topic

I don't think 9" would fit in the mailers I use (unless I get wider mailers or trim each board). And buying the cardboard would triple my cost of packing materials. (mailers are 30cents each). BUT, it would save me some time... but that time is basically leisure time watching movies or a game on TV. Hmm... hm

I still like free. :grin:

They do make them in a smaller size too, I just like the 9x12's because they fit perfectly in the uline cardboard mailers I use ( http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-327/Easy-Fold-Mailers/12-1-8-x-9-1-8-White-Easy-Fold-Mailers?FromOrderHistory=Y ). So the mailer is 59 cents and the boards are 60 cents (for two) per order, but it only takes me about a minute to wrap an order and it's very secure. And I save time being able to print out my postage beforehand too, since I know the weight of a mailer + 2 boards + SA/GA book(s) from doing it so many times.

But free is nice too! I just know how much I hated cutting boards and decided to skip that step. lol

How the hell do you cut cardboard ? :o

xxx ooo

Rupp

my wife had exiled me to the porch to do it because she didn't want a mess in the house and i was hacking up some big box at a weird angle. was it my finest hour? no.

I don't think 9" would fit in the mailers I use (unless I get wider mailers or trim each board). And buying the cardboard would triple my cost of packing materials. (mailers are 30cents each). BUT, it would save me some time... but that time is basically leisure time watching movies or a game on TV. Hmm... hm

I still like free. :grin:

How much is your time worth?

Exactly, but you can't get paid for every hour you are awake, that's why he said leisure time.

Some people get paid when they sleep

I use the 9" x 12" pieces that you can order from Uline (30 cents each if you buy 1000+). I know it sucks to pay 30 cents a piece (or 30x2=60 cents per shipment), but it is so nice not having to cut it yourself, and they are all nice and uniform.

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-3384/Corrugated-Pads/9-x-12-150-lb-Corrugated-Pads?FromOrderHistory=Y

ouch, 30 cents? that's $1.20 for most of my comics as I generally use 4. my margins are slim enough selling a book for $10 on ebay with free shipping.

this was my first injury in 16 years of doing this thousands of times. it was really dumb and was the result of working on the porch table that was full of other , without much light at 2 a.m., and me hacking up a big box.

How the hell do you cut cardboard ? :o

xxx ooo

Rupp

my wife had exiled me to the porch to do it because she didn't want a mess in the house and i was hacking up some big box at a weird angle. was it my finest hour? no.

We all have our moments sir lol

Be careful buddy ;)

xxx ooo

Rupp

While not directly related to this topic, I finally broke down today and purchased a "Box Sizer" which allows you to easily reduce the size of a box to get a good fit with what is inside. As I will be soon selling many large lots/sets of different sizes on eBay, I will need to customize boxes for sure. Does anyone else use one of these? Is it helpful?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261960318092?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks for any feedback.

Byron - TvComics

While not directly related to this topic, I finally broke down today and purchased a "Box Sizer" which allows you to easily reduce the size of a box to get a good fit with what is inside. As I will be soon selling many large lots/sets of different sizes on eBay, I will need to customize boxes for sure. Does anyone else use one of these? Is it helpful?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261960318092?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks for any feedback.

Byron - TvComics

I used to just use a ruler and quickly mark off four spots then score the box around using the ruler as a straight edge. I have since learned an extremely easier method. Pack the box and use a piece of flat wood or clipboard. Put it inside the box flat to use as a guide and score the box. Very simple and takes literally seconds over my original method.

I bought these too, but I will say they are very thin.

These look interesting but I rather have the grain of the cardboard go vertically. (shrug)

These pads are "32" Edge Crush which I have always found too weak to do anything around comics. Be it pads or boxes, I look for 200 pound or more strength as the 32 ECT boxes are just too weak to ship comics in my opinion....

Thanks for any feedback.

Byron - TvComics

If you have a steady supply of the same box they work very well if you have

patience. My wife hates the one we have, but she tries to wing it thru the box

in two seconds. If you pay for boxes, just spend the few cents on the Uline

pre scored boxes.

I bought these too, but I will say they are very thin.

These look interesting but I rather have the grain of the cardboard go vertically. (shrug)

These pads are "32" Edge Crush which I have always found too weak to do anything around comics. Be it pads or boxes, I look for 200 pound or more strength as the 32 ECT boxes are just too weak to ship comics in my opinion....

Basically I now use one of the 32's and one thicker piece. My biggest concern is edge conditions, so these do have some value in protecting edges. If someone wants to bend your package it doesn't really matter what weight cardboard you use.

Do you have a link for some affordable 200 lb?

After using a box knife, and a few bloody cuts, and then buying the Uline

pieces of cardboard, I decided to make my own. Actually my son did. He

watched me make a few, commented on doing the same thing at school,

and after a little finesse, I was paying him a penny a piece for a completed

piece. Now I can whip out 100 or so in about 30 minutes of cutting and

gluing. This is a laminate of corregated 200 lb cardboard piece 3 and sometimes

4 layers thick. All depends on the FREE cardboard boxes available. I buy

bottles of Elmers School Glue when the dollar store has them, but did buy

a gallon of Elmers Wood Glue when I had some kitchen repairs to do.

cardboard1600.jpg

I cut pieces 11" X 8 " and this seems to fit both the USPS Flat Rate Legal

Envelope quite well, and makes a perfect fit on the USPS Medium Flat Rate

Box. FIRST I cut up the FREE cardboard I scavenge from around the

neighborhood. I live in the big city, but still make friends that save things for

me, the owner of the Menchie Ice Cream parlor keeps me covered with boxes

for my 100 ct Ebay lots, and the Manager of the Big Lots has his people keep

the appliance boxes and such saved up for me. The lady that runs the shoe

palace doesn't know it much, but she supplies me with mylar bags and

polypro bags that are FREE and usually hold at least 50 comics each. The

mylar filmed ones are sometimes crinkled up, but I am resourceful. Bless her

for keeping the dumpster area clean.

cardboard2600.jpg

This CUTE little trimmer I've had for 30 years or more. One of the first birthday

presents my wife bought me just after we got married. I used to make my own

postage stamp boursers books back in the 1980's. Another story for another day.

Only sharpened it once. It will cut 250 lb material easily, will trim golden age

backing boards to current size, usually 3 at a time. I started only using

silverage bags about 20 years ago, and having a case or so of golden age or

magazine bags sitting around was just silly.

cardboard3600.jpg

One of the nice things about making my own, is that it is VERY cost effective,

and I control the quality of the finished product. Sounds goofy worrying about

a piece of cardboard, but that goofy thing will safely protect my difficult to

find customers product. Clean cardboard, and counterstacking it like plywood,

and a few well chosen smears of glue in the future.

cardboard4600.jpg

I have one of the family's old ranch houses that I use for my warehouse now.

I moved my comic book inventory into it a few months back. Nice thing is that

the rest of the family has never wanted the house, but it was the place I was

born. Now I have my best times there, putting comic book orders together.

cardboard5600.jpg

Not fish slapping anyone else, but my finished product is better, both quality

wise, and security wise, and cost me just a few cents apiece. Paper trimmer

was about $ 30, thirty or so years ago, glue is a buck or so a bottle, lasts

through about 500 individual cut sheets, and the cardboard is gratis.

Time invested is about an hour all together sans the gathering of the raw

materials.

Next month I'll tell you about all the fun I have with the plastic political signs that

are so prevalent throughout my neighborhood. These make GREAT packing

material.

cardboard6600.jpg

Next month I'll tell you about all the fun I have with the plastic political signs that

are so prevalent throughout my neighborhood. These make GREAT packing

material.

In NY State, removing a candidates signs is considered election tampering and is subject to crazy fines for a first offense and jail time for repeat offenders.

Wow - nice pictorial! I too like the concept of FREE and that is why I needed the Box Sizer.

Question for towards2112 - when you sell your large lots, it appears from your description that you do not use boards (perhaps not even individual bags?) - do your buyers ever comment that they were expecting Bags and Boards? I have a 20K piece collection to move with long runs and will be selling large lots. I want to avoid bag/boards for all and am thinking 2 comics per bag and board but would even avoid that if I thought I could get away with it....