• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TERRIFICON - AUG. 19-21, 2016 - MOHEGAN SUN (UNCASVILLE, CT)

30 posts in this topic

Hey!

We will be setup with a booth and are the public cgc facilitators for this show.

We hope to see you there!

We will also be selling out variants-----

www.ScorpionComics.com

Tan%20HQRVariant001a400_CMYK%20sm_zpsdowukrvr.jpg

image1_zpsqwsdpvxv.jpg

KITSON%20ALLSTAR%20BATMAN%20lo%201_zpshckfzyco.jpgBARRY%20KITSON%20bw_zpsw0hfturg.jpg

I think it stinks that this show is right up Boston Comicon's arse and only comes the following week. I know now I can expect to see the same dealers with the same books. Promoters need to space out the New England shows. Who needs to go to several shows all within a few months. Think any dealer will be replenishing stock? Think buyers will be replenishing $$$$? Why the need to butt heads?

Chris, I follow your logic but there are some big holes in it that I think you haven't considered.

A decent amount of dealers who set up at Boston, will not be setting up at Terrific Con, for those very reasons.

I'll be set up at Terrific Con, not at Boston...last show I did was Garden State Comic Fest about a month ago, which I barely did any prep for....and I wasn't able to set up on the first day of the show, only set up on Sunday.A buddy of mine will be splitting the booths I booked with me, he isn't doing Boston, and hasn't done any shows since Big Apple back in March.

I know that you are setting up at Boston and that your shop is in Boston, aaand that you're not setting up at Terrific Con.So you will have convention fresh inventory at Boston, just as my partner and I will at Terrific Con.

In all of the years that I have been to cons, I have invariably went to the booths of smaller/little name dealers waaay before I went to an Overstreet advisor's table.These sorts of smaller dealers by nature will not set up at both shows, because they don't have the stock (and/or desire to buy more books) to have successful runs at both cons.

Hell, I don;t even *bring* any books that I list on ebay to shows at all, I bring nothing but raws for my $5,$10 and my "priced as marked/let's make a deal Monte hall boxes" , along with nothing but raws on my wall.Slabs can be sold on eBay, raws are for shows.

Bigger dealers like Harley Yee, Bedrock and so on.... will almost always do all of the bigger annual shows like Boston and Terrific Con.

There is a 3-4 week gap between Boston and Terrific Con.I'd think that the majority of dealers that are setting up at both shows, would have ample time to do the following..

Add new stock consisting of:

a)

Dealer to dealer pick ups made at Boston,most of these sales occur before the show opens to the public.

b)

Collections purchased at Boston, sold by attendees to dealers at Boston.Dealers won't have time to bag/board, price and file a collection during Boston.

c)

Other books they purchase in the interim between 2 cons and unprocessed books they processed into their convention inventory, after Boston ended.

..and lastly, if dealers are paying thousands of dollars to set up at a show....and then doubling their overhead on another area show a month later ..... booth spaces, van rental or plane fare and hotel costs.....they will most definitely not be bringing the same stock they had at Boston to Terrific Con.

A dealer that spends thousands on setting up at shows, would by the very nature of putting out such money have to know how to maximize profits....and bringing the same books that he had at Boston to CT a month later, is going to severely hurt his bottom line.

I'll also note that CGC SS providers can witness books signed at Boston, then have them signed again by another creator or celebrity at Terrific Con....or for that matter, a show a month or 6 months after Terrific Con, without the submitter having to pay for grading fees twice.

For example:

I'd have to think that having Camren Bicondova sign virtually any of the more in demand Hughes Catwoman covers, then having them get Gughes to sign & sketch the book at the next con or event they can snab Hughes at, would be a good play.There are no Bicondova CGC SS books on eBay and she charges $40 per signature.pretty sure that Hughes doesn't charge for sigs.

Be first to market on a Catwoman 51 Lost Number cover with a Bicondova signature with a Hughes sig & sketch in a CGC SS 9.8 slab and I'd think that would be a very nice flip.....maybe $500 or so?

Or any of the Hughes Catwoman covers in grade.....or 9.6 candidates with NCB spine ticks, have them pressed by Henn or CCS.... the more risque, the better the return :o

(daaaaag, last week I sold a Catwoman 51 CGC 9.6 Hughes sig/ no sketch in a green QUALIFIED label for $99.99 + $15 or so shipping via a BIN listing, within the first day of listing the book.May have taken 2 days but it sold quickly, which means I could have priced it at a $125 + shipping BIN and had little resistance on it.)

I won't have time to run around to

Back to the point...

I know that NYComics offers this service and I'm sure that reputable SS providers like Rich Henn do, as well.

I am comfortable with giving my books to NYComics and Rich Henn for sigs, because of their solid reputations.I know they won't carelessly handle my books and/or lose the damn book, as a handful of other CGC SS providers have done.

CGC SS providers like AnastasiasCollectibles (who post under AnastasiasCollect on this forum).....I would never trust them in handling my books for a day, let alone months at a time.I've read more than enough in the way of horror stories on this board about them.

One boardie I PM'd with about his exp. with AnastasiasCollect , told me more about his experience with them....there was a handful of threads on them by more than one boardie who they screwed over, but they have been scrubbed.