• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this book a 3.5 by Overstreet standards

8 posts in this topic

Several weeks ago I saw the following book on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Action-Comics-247-December-1958-Superman-s-Lost-Parents-/161913559177?hash=item25b2ccd889:g:a0gAAOSwnipWaPk0

The seller, John Haines. lists the book as a VG- 3.5 (according to Overstreet). I emailed John and told him that given the large spine split and heavy writing on the front cover, I did not see how this could be a 3.5.

To be fair, John does lists the defects of the book and at best it is a low grade copy to begin with. I just want to know for my own self, if I am off base by thinking this book is overgraded. I am not an expert grader, I am just a humble collector.

Could someone with a better eye for such things give me their opinion and tell me if I am wrong.

I would drop the grade for such an obtrusive grease pencil mark, even on a lower grade book, but many don't always do so, including CGC.

The split is in the middle of the spine, and IMHO between a size that might not have much impact on the grade below VG, and one that would automatically bring it down to the Good range.

It looks more like a 2.5 to me, but I could see some calling it a 3.0. I've bought from John before, and found his grading to be decent, and he does list defects of note. Sometimes folks get a little loose on a book now and then ( and that includes CGC).

Thank you to all who responded to this request for a grade.

It appears we have 6 voters and looking at the scores, I would say the consensus is about a 2.5 (which I would agree with). Heck, on a day when I didn't get enough sleep and was feeling like it wasn't worth arguing over, I MIGHT even give it a 3.0 (that is a big might).

I appreciate each of you for taking the time you did. If I was way off base, I wanted to know.

I agree with "rjpb" that in the past I always thought John was a fair grader. That is why this book took me by surprise and made me second guess myself.

Oh well, dealers are welcome to grade as they deem appropriate and buyers can choose to deal with them or not (as they find their grading to be strict or lenient.)

Thank you again to all who responded.