• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JUSTICE LEAGUE ACTION on Cartoon Network (12/16/16)

65 posts in this topic

REVIEW: JUSTICE LEAGUE ACTION Lives Up To Its Name

Probably the biggest question many comic book fans want to know about Justice League Action is whether it's 100% slapstick aimed at young kids (à la Teen Titans GO!), or if there's a Pixar-esque approach to the story where adults can find something to enjoy and connect with as they watch with their kids (or by themselves, this is a judge free zone)? The show is a fresh mix of both approaches and the result is a kid's program that's tonally reminiscent of Batman: The Brave and the Bold. However, where that show was a simplified, episodic baddie-of-the-week/team-up adventure series, Justice League Action appears to be laying groundwork for a season-long storyline that should please old school Bruce Timm fans.

The art style will definitely take a while to get acclimated with. Instead of the crisp, bold lines of the Bruce Timm style, we have softer and a thinner lineweight, where shading is almost nonexistent and a greater emphasis is placed on color schemes. It's not "wrong" or "bad", just different in the same way that the CGI animation in Green Lantern: TAS was a departure from the norm.

Justice League Action has nonstop action, a plethora of heroes on call and a great voice cast that brings much needed entertainment value to a desolate Saturday Morning cartoon slate. While traditionalists may find the reconstructed mannerisms for some of the characters offputting, there's just enough familiarity present that allows the show to function as a worthwhile introduction of younger audiences.

Overall Rating: 3.5/5.0 stars

WBAJLA_PREMIERE_03.jpg

WBAJLA_PREMIERE_04.jpg

WBAJLA_PREMIERE_10.jpg

WBAJLA_PREMIERE_08.jpg

I watched the first episode last night when the family went to bed (Shazam Slam). Combined, it was 43 minutes. I liked it!

I think the '10 minutes' comment is about the vignettes they use to tell the overall story. So the first 10-11 minutes is about a few of the main characters (Batman working with Shazam the Wizard to fight Black Adam). Then the next vignette built upon the first piece - but in a different setting.

I'll have to go back and watch it again.

I watched the first episode last night when the family went to bed (Shazam Slam). Combined, it was 43 minutes. I liked it!

I think the '10 minutes' comment is about the vignettes they use to tell the overall story. So the first 10-11 minutes is about a few of the main characters (Batman working with Shazam the Wizard to fight Black Adam). Then the next vignette built upon the first piece - but in a different setting.

I'll have to go back and watch it again.

No, the episodes are literally 10 - 11 minutes each. Shazam Slam is a 3 part lasting 32:02 & the only exception so far. I've seen 11 (9 if you count the 3 parts as 1) episodes & they're all short. Look on IMDB & you'll see that the run time is 11 mins each:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5419200/?ref_=nv_sr_6

No, the episodes are literally 10 - 11 minutes each. Shazam Slam is a 3 part lasting 32:02 & the only exception so far. I've seen 11 (9 if you count the 3 parts as 1) episodes & they're all short. Look on IMDB & you'll see that the run time is 11 mins each:

I watched the pilot, and it is 43 minutes. Which this reviewer even calls out as '40 Minutes of Nonstop Super-heroic Action'. Even notes again it is '42 minutes'.

(shrug)

Best Shots Review: JUSTICE LEAGUE ACTION Pilot '40 Minutes of Nonstop Superheroic Action'

Mixing together the sprawling cast of Justice League Unlimited with the humor of The Brave and the Bold and the sheer kinetics of Teen Titans, Justice League Action feels like a recipe for success for DC Entertainment, Cartoon Network, and even more importantly, superhero animation fans everywhere.

The show’s 42-minute debut, “Shazam Slam,” wastes no time in bringing together eclectic pairings of DC’s finest characters. With the Wizard Shazam on the run from extradimensional demons, it’s an inspired choice to have him cross paths with the distinctly non-powered Batman, whose determination and detective skills help overcome the curmudgeonly wizard’s skepticism as they team up to rescue Billy Batson at the Rock of Eternity. And what’s even better is that this first section is far and away the weakest storyline of the whole episode - Kevin Conroy and the legendary Carl Reiner both fit the characters of Batman and Shazam nicely, but at the outset, Justice League Action struggles with whether it wants to be a full-throated comedy or a dramatic action story, and you can’t help but feel a little dissonance when hearing Kevin Conroy cracking jokes.

‘Rama Rating: 9 out of 10

So interested there is something else listed on IMDb. Though that site does allow for members to make alterations to the content.

I wonder if they broke them up into mini web episodes?

Wow! Collider really liked the pilot as well.

‘Justice League Action’ Review: Animated Antics and Super-Powered Punchlines Abound

With the announcement that Justice League Action would be the next animated series in this ever-popular franchise, some were concerned that it would skew more towards the sillier side than that of the classic action shows. I’m happy to report that the newest installment strikes a surprising balance between the promised action and kid-friendly comedy. It’s the closest thing I’ve seen to the classic 90s/00s DC superhero series in years.

To be fair, I’ve only seen the hour-long premiere of Justice League Action, titled “Shazam Slam,” so it’s difficult to say where this series will ultimately end up when compared to its forebears. However, if this tone stays consistent, I’d place its seriousness below that of the mature direct-to-video material, and shows like Teen Titans, Young Justice, and Batman Beyond. The closest comparison is probably Batman: The Brave and the Bold, which took a slightly silly, episodic approach to storytelling but did not skimp on the action. However, this new series appears to favor longer interconnected arcs featuring more complex stories and an increasingly large cast of characters rather than independent installments with new guest stars.

It’s a perfect look for a show that delivers bone-crunching combat and epic fights that range all over Metropolis (and beyond) but also keeps things kid-friendly with sparing use of silliness. This really should be a crowd-pleaser across demographics. Sure, older audiences looking for more mature content or younger audiences who gravitate towards silly stuff might find it lacking, but it’s definitely worth a watch for fans of DC Comics, superhero fare, or just well-produced, high-quality action cartoons in general. I can’t wait to see more!

Overall Rating: 4/4 stars

I watched the pilot, and it is 43 minutes. Which this reviewer even calls out as '40 Minutes of Nonstop Super-heroic Action'. Even notes again it is '42 minutes'.

(shrug)

Best Shots Review: JUSTICE LEAGUE ACTION Pilot '40 Minutes of Nonstop Superheroic Action'

Mixing together the sprawling cast of Justice League Unlimited with the humor of The Brave and the Bold and the sheer kinetics of Teen Titans, Justice League Action feels like a recipe for success for DC Entertainment, Cartoon Network, and even more importantly, superhero animation fans everywhere.

The show’s 42-minute debut, “Shazam Slam,” wastes no time in bringing together eclectic pairings of DC’s finest characters. With the Wizard Shazam on the run from extradimensional demons, it’s an inspired choice to have him cross paths with the distinctly non-powered Batman, whose determination and detective skills help overcome the curmudgeonly wizard’s skepticism as they team up to rescue Billy Batson at the Rock of Eternity. And what’s even better is that this first section is far and away the weakest storyline of the whole episode - Kevin Conroy and the legendary Carl Reiner both fit the characters of Batman and Shazam nicely, but at the outset, Justice League Action struggles with whether it wants to be a full-throated comedy or a dramatic action story, and you can’t help but feel a little dissonance when hearing Kevin Conroy cracking jokes.

‘Rama Rating: 9 out of 10

So interested there is something else listed on IMDb. Though that site does allow for members to make alterations to the content.

I wonder if they broke them up into mini web episodes?

There must have been a 10 min segment cut from the one I saw.