• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walt Simonson Pin up question

7 posts in this topic

With respect to Walt Simonson and Frank Miller, it appears that there is a bit of mystery with respect to who drew the cover of Star Wars #47.

According to the CGC label, it was Walt Simonson. I recall reading in the book titled Star Wars: Panel to Panel that Frank Miller drew the cover. The Wookieepedia website also indicates that Frank Miller drew the cover:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_47:_Droid_World

I tend to think that it's possible that Frank Miller drew the cover as it's close to the same time that Frank Miller drew the pin-up in Star Wars #43. Star Wars #43 also predates the Walt Simonson Star Wars run (from #49 to about #66) even though Walt Simonson provided art for #16 years earlier.

In 2013, I submitted a universal copy of #47 as a signature series book (signed by Anthony Daneils. I avoided having the cover artist sign the comic since it is in question, both the interior artist Carmine Infantino and the writer Archie Goodwin have also passed away). I wrote on the label that it was possible that the cover was in fact drawn by Frank Miller rather than Walter Simonson. However, I didn't hear anything back from CGC and the label still indicated Walter Simonson as the cover artist.

If the artist is in fact Frank Miller, should I write a letter to CGC to justify it?