• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you store OA to prevent damage?

12 posts in this topic

Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked multiple times but I can't find an answer via search.

I have about 400 pieces of OA currently stored in Archival Quality, PH Neutral, Acid Free Filexe? Art Binders. (11x17", 13x19" & 18x24") Usually I place one piece of art on each side of each page so I'm not sure if I'm putting 2x too much art in each binder and this is causing my problem) But I've started to notice that some of the pieces (especially near the top of the binders) are starting to get a little wavy. (And on some of my larger pieces, even though I've bought multiple sized binders not all of them fit perfectly and sometimes the larger pieces of art move around inside the binders very easily) I know art isn't all that condition sensitive and none of this is a huge deal but it's bugging me and I'd like to find a better way to store these if a better method exists.

I don't have them in bags/boards because most of my art fits perfectly into the 11x17 binders, but the added width of a bag and board usually will cause them not to fit. (I've thought about bagging/boarding everything and then using just 13x19" binders, but then I'm back to the binders being too big and the art likely shifting around whenever things get moved)

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to store roughly 400 pieces of OA of various sizes (but mostly 10x15") (Specifically what products, brands, sizes, to use etc) I've tried to figure this out on my own, spent several afternoons on the boards & on google searching and can't come up with a system I like. So the more detailed & insufficiently_thoughtful_person-proof the responses the better!

Thanks!

Hey Ankur,

Thank you very much! I will definitely try that ASAP. Is there any chance that the waviness can be caused because I'm doubling up and putting a piece of artwork on the left side of each binder as well as the right? (Or because sometimes it's a snug fit with certain pieces?) Or is it simply as easy as controlling the humidity/moisture?

Hey Ankur,

Thank you very much! I will definitely try that ASAP. Is there any chance that the waviness can be caused because I'm doubling up and putting a piece of artwork on the left side of each binder as well as the right? (Or because sometimes it's a snug fit with certain pieces?) Or is it simply as easy as controlling the humidity/moisture?

No problem! I keep my portfolios stacked. Most pages are in mylar or other acid free bag. The combination of being in a bag plus portfolio, and being stacked probably reduces the amount of moisture that gets to the actual art. But adding a desiccant also helps. I use these and they last about a month and are easy to recharge. Have one in every safe deposit box as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Improved-Eva-dry-E-500-Renewable-Dehumidifier/dp/B000H0XFD2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456111436&sr=8-1&keywords=evadry

Ankur

As someone with only 6 pieces of OA...all mine are stored in frames, on my wall. If you'd care for me to go through your collection of 400 or so, pick out a few...and "store" them in a similar fashion? I'd be happy to do so for you. Think nothing of it. :)

Here's what I do with my pieces.

I do differentiate between high end art and standard art.

The high end pieces or ones that seem more condition sensitive, what I do is:

1) Use Acid Free Backing Boards = https://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-129-backings.aspx

2) Use Mylars = https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-5164-11-x-17-original-comic-art-sleeve.aspx

Put the comic art with a board, then into a mylar.

3) Use Polybags = https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-7353-13-x-19-original-art-print-sleeves.aspx

Then put that boarded mylar into a polybag (oversized to fit the piece), then use tape to seal the opening to ensure nothing goes in (silverfish, dust, moisture, etc.).

It could cost you about $5 per piece after paying for the mylar and boards (depending on the quantity you order and discounts as well as where you order your supplies from)

Then I put those into a Itoya Portfolio

I don't use 11" x 17" as that won't fit mylared art and also even if you put artwork in these, it rides right at the top edge, prone to damages, so go for the 13" x 19" sized portoflios, as they'll also accommodate the larger pieces (DC and Dark Horse boards are often wider than standard art boards).

http://www.amazon.com/Portfolio-inches-Storage-Display-Sleeves/dp/B0016ML7YE

And there you go.

For 400 pieces of artwork it could be expensive to archive all of them but to me it's worth it to preserve your collection.

And for standard art, those commissions and interior pages maybe not worth the overkill archiving yet you still want to respect, you can simply use

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-3107-11-x-17-original-comic-art-sleeve.aspx - this will cost you about $0.25 per sleeve and does a good enough job, and still seal the top flap to ensure it's entombed against the elements.

When encapsulating OA like this (Mylar + polybag + portfolio), should a pack of silica gel be placed with the art in the mylar (maybe behind the backing board?), especially for collections housed in humid climates?

If so, is there a recommended dosage (5 grams or 10 grams) to seal with the art?

Or, would Ankur's desiccant unit still make a difference after the pages are essentially triple-bagged? I'm currently in a very humid location and now have to add moisture & mold damage to my list of concerns.

Thanks to AKA Rick and Ankur for the very helpful info here. And big thanks to Filter81 for starting it back in February! (thumbs u

Has anyone researched what are the proper humidity level ranges for the room in which the art is stored?

40-45% from what I've seen. I keep my portfolios stacked so the compression of the weight will reduce the amount of air/moisture that gets to a page. I keep a dessicant unit in the same cabinet as the portfolios. Between that and bagging the art, I don't think there is any need for concern.

Adding mini dessicants to each page is not ideal. They don't have much capacity and will be hard to recharge. A large individual unit will fare much better in my opinion.