• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your List of Underrated of Up-And-Coming Artists?

23 posts in this topic

It's always fun to make best of lists, debate the all time greats, but what about those who are yet to be considered the top dogs?

Who's on your guys lists of artists (can be big 2, creator owned, w/e) who you think are either on the rise, or do not get nearly enough attention?

Rafael Grampá

Amazing, any series on the way?

He did a story in Batman Black and White Vol. 2....eh...#3?

His big personal project was Mesmo Delivery, published by Dark Horse in 2010-sh.

Currently he's doing short films, with an occasional cover....

Here's his Detective Comics #50 variant:

CaooRURW8AAgay-.jpg

STK699663.jpg

Grampa is a beast, I buy everything he does. I'm not sure if he's underated or upcoming because I don't get the impression he's trying to break in otherwise I suspect he could get work, at least on covers, anytime he wants. I find most creators are aware of Grampa, and when he does commissions that list fills up quick and is coveted.

Other guys I like that also aren't really unknown and not really new lol but I don't think will get much traditional work are James Stokoe and Brandon Graham.

Typically when someone deserves to blow up and they are already at the big 2 they do, like Mike del Mundo (who is ridiculous).

I think Wes Craig is a guy people reading Deadly Class really love and he's AMAZING in that.

I see Wes Craig was already mentioned, but I'd like to add Lukas Ketner to the list - I'm not sure the full time comic gig is something he's after, I believe he makes his day to day living doing graphic design.

He's done some covers and some work in Creepy and a few other places, but if he's actually known for anything it's Skybound's Witch Doctor series. I like his style, he's able to carry off comic horror, and his interesting magical / medical / horror creatures are always well designed.