• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FINDING DORY from Disney (6/17/16)

10 posts in this topic

In Finding Dory, with help from Nemo and Marlin (Albert Brooks), Dory (Ellen DeGeneres) the forgetful fish embarks on a quest to reunite with her mother (Diane Keaton) and father (Eugene Levy). Finding Dory is directed by Finding Nemo co-director Andrew Stanton.

'Finding Dory' Drowns Animated Box Office Records With $136 Million Opening

Disney finds itself atop the weekend box office for the eleventh time this year, this time it's the Pixar brand coming up big with Finding Dory. The release is another 2016 animated hit for the studio on the heels of Zootopia, as Dory broke its share of box office records this weekend including the largest opening weekend for an animated feature. It was also a good weekend for the week's other new wide release, the action-comedy Central Intelligence starring Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart, which could be looking at a $100+ million domestic run after its opening weekend. Meanwhile, last weekend's new releases didn't exactly deliver the goods in their sophomore sessions.

Scoring a number one finish for the weekend and a record opening for an animated feature, Disney and Pixar's Finding Dory brought in an estimated $136.1 million this weekend from 4,305 theaters for a $31,634 per theater average. It's an opening comparable to the 90+% bumps both sequels in the Toy Story franchise saw over their predecessors with Dory's opening weekend serving as a 93.8% bump over Finding Nemo's $70.2 million opening back in 2003.

Dory also scored an "A" CinemaScore and played to an audience that was 45% male vs. 55% female. The age breakdown saw 65% of the audience being made up by families and 32% of the overall audience made up of children 12 and under.

On the record front, on top of the animated opening weekend record, Dory broke the record for the largest single day and opening day for an animated film with its opening day totaling an estimated $54.9 million. Included in that opening day total is $9.2 million in Thursday previews, also a record for an animated feature. Of course, it's a bit of a conflict to call both items "records" when you consider Dory wouldn't hold the single day record over Shrek the Third's $47 million if you don't include the additional $9.2 million. Also going down was the record for the largest per theater average for a wide opening animated release, topping Shrek the Third's $29,507 average after it opened to a then record of $121.6 million from 4,122 theaters.

Dory also opened in 29 international territories this weekend scoring an estimated $50 million for a global opening gross of $186.2 million. Its international roll-out includes the largest Pixar opening ever in China ($17.5M) and the biggest Disney/Pixar opening weekend ever in Australia ($7.6M). The release, so far, makes up 32% of the international marketplace with openings in France and Spain taking place next weekend along with the rest of Europe in the coming weeks.

:applause:

Andrew Stanton on the possibilities of a third Finding Nemo film

With FINDING DORY's success, people are once again talking sequel, but as before, Stanton isn't looking to jump into anything, although he has learned never to say never.

"I really do feel like this was the missing piece, emotionally, for the first movie. Now, I’ve stopped saying never for anything because there are a lot of new characters that get introduced and we’ve broadened the universe for this movie. And again, I’m very used to seeing that world continue to open up from the Toy Story movies… so I’ve learned to just say, to my knowledge, I think everything that was born of the first movie is wrapped up. But we’ll see."

Stanton is also aware that a truly successful sequel is a very rare thing.

"With any of the other sequels, we strive to try and make it seem like it was inevitable, like it was meant to be, that all these extended stories and journeys with these characters were part of the whole canon. And that’s really hard, but it’s so satisfying for me when I’m experiencing that, whether it’s a great second season of a TV show or another book in a series. It’s a small club when it’s done successfully. Regardless of how much people may vocalize that they don’t enjoy or wish that there weren’t extensions, sometimes it’s really nice to go back and spend more time with these characters if they evolve, if they grow, if they expand. So that, I’m very happy with. I feel like it was just as hard, if not harder, on [Finding Dory] to get it to feel inevitable and preordained, and that it was always of the larger piece."

Wow! I knew this film was doing great at the box office. I didn't realize how solid it was.

BOX OFFICE: FINDING DORY Swims Past $400 Million Domestically; Will Pass CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR Today

The critically-acclaimed Finding Dory has now officially passed the $400 million milestone at the domestic box office with $402.2 million. This makes it the second film of 2016 to accomplish that milestone, after Captain America: Civil War. That also makes Finding Dory the highest grossing animated film in domestic box office history, just after Shrek 2, The Lion King, and Toy Story 3. It is expected to pass all of those films by next week.

Yeah but that bubble will burst when the public complain that there are too many kids movies being made.

lol

'Steven Spielberg, what's your thoughts on all these successful family animated movies?'

'They're just a fad. Here today - gone tomorrow. Movies about giants will be where it is at. Trust me!'

Box Office: 'Finding Dory' Passes 'Captain America 3' To Become Top U.S. Hit Of 2016

Among older movies, Finding Dory once again led the pack. The Pixar/Walt Disney animated sequel earned $6.283 million (-53%) on its fourth Friday, an understandable drop against The Secret Life of Pets. With $408.5m domestic, it has passed Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War to become the biggest domestic hit of 2016. It will pass Toy Story 3 ($415m) today. We should expect a $20m weekend (-52%) for a $422.2m domestic total, putting it above every animated film save The Lion King ($422.7m) and Shrek 2 ($441m). Pixar and Illumination have a history of thriving alongside each other, so we’ll see if that pattern holds.

'Finding Dory' Swims to All-Time Domestic Record

Disney and Pixar's Finding Dory is now the highest grossing animated release of all-time domestically as it added an estimated $11 million to its domestic total, which now stands at $445.5 million. Here's the top five animated films of all-time domestically (not adjusted for inflation):

- Finding Dory (2016) - $445.5 million

- Shrek 2 (2004) - $441.2 million

- The Lion King (1994) - $422.7 million

- Toy Story 3 (2010) - $415 million

- Frozen (2013) - $400.7 million