• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about MANGA

23 posts in this topic

A girl that Judy and I used to watch for her Mom while she worked is moving away soon. Naturally she was introduced to comics while here. She has become a talented young artist, age 11, and has gravitated towards Anime and Manga. We'd like to get her something, but we only have a week before she leaves. Can anyone recommend something Manga that is in a supernatural vein. She's a fairly mature kid.... so we don't want "kiddie" stuff, but nothing too risque' either. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

..... a good book on how to draw Manga would also be cool.....

I will go with the obvious ones (for an 11 year old that is "mature"):

Naruto is pretty great and solid for young readers.

One Piece is epic and safe for a younger audience.

Full Metal Alchemist and Bleach are also great, but push the violence quite a bit farther.

If there is a Barnes and Noble by you, you should be able to get a few of each of the ones above and there are always "how to draw manga books" instock. Just pick your "theme" (people, girls, boys, animals, etc).

FYI, this is very cool of you to do!

Edited by rfoiii

Yeah I was just pointing it out because maybe someone had some there, I do recall Orange being mentioned.

I'd second One Piece, it's my favorite comic, but maybe Fruit Baskets is a better fit. Don't get Tokyo Ghoul because that's pretty R.

You could pick up Miyazaki's Nausicaä, especially if she is into art because he's a master.

I would wade carefully in this thread, man of these are not safe for children (even a mature 11 year old). Most are spectacular suggestions for an adult though!

By "mature".....I mean she's graduated past My Little Pony and such..... but by her own admission, she says the "Death Note" is a bit darker than what she cares for...... whatever "Death Note" is lol ...the art did look polished to me, however. We're really going to miss this kid.... she's like family. She has helped us care for our reptiles and probably named half of them. GOD BLESS...

I would wade carefully in this thread, man of these are not safe for children (even a mature 11 year old). Most are spectacular suggestions for an adult though!

By "mature".....I mean she's graduated past My Little Pony and such..... but by her own admission, she says the "Death Note" is a bit darker than what she cares for...... whatever "Death Note" is lol ...the art did look polished to me, however. We're really going to miss this kid.... she's like family. She has helped us care for our reptiles and probably named half of them. GOD BLESS...

Helpful, then I think the suggestions so far are pretty good! None of those were boarding on Death Note (which is great, but is about a kid who finds a notebook where if he writes someone's name in it they die).

One other one could be Fairy Tail, it is all about magic (magic guilds, wizards battling, epic arcs, etc) and other than the fan-service it is pretty entertaining.

Jim,

I have never been able to finish reading the whole work (in italian they suspended the publication), but I would recommend Kiseiju (in english: Parasyte):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasyte

I am not sure whether these are easy to find in english: the first american edition was suspended, and the second one probably did not have a big print run: I tried to re-collect the series in the american edition but I am still missing some issues.

However, it is an unique read for sure. You would like it as well. :)

She has helped us care for our reptiles and probably named half of them. GOD BLESS...

Um… She might just love Kiseiju. The story involves teenagers, about 17 years old (they are very mature, and the events make them even more mature), and it’s pretty strong, but I guess that if I have read and enjoyed Killraven at the same age, it can be OK.

Recommendations from my 12 year old daughter anime/manga fan:

Kamisama Kiss

Gugure Kokkuri-San

Soul Eater

She says the first is shojo, the second and third are shonen.

EDIT: she also wanted to add Full Metal Alchemist (Shonen)

Second EDIT: Ran the other titles mentioned here past her and all got the nod of approval, except Parasyte (that one's disgusting), and Death Note (too depressing). Nausicaa got the biggest thumbs up of the mentioned Manga.

Edited by thunsicker

Recommendations from my 12 year old daughter anime/manga fan:

Kamisama Kiss

Gugure Kokkuri-San

Soul Eater

She says the first is shojo, the second and third are shonen.

EDIT: she also wanted to add Full Metal Alchemist (Shonen)

Second EDIT: Ran the other titles mentioned here past her and all got the nod of approval, except Parasyte (that one's disgusting), and Death Note (too depressing). Nausicaa got the biggest thumbs up of the mentioned Manga.

Forgot about Soul Eater, that is a great series as well!

One word: Akira

I think that's R rated.

If she is 11 Akira is probably not suitable. Not because it contains anything "obscene" or excessively violent in graphic terms, but it is a narration which couldn’t be so suitable (and even enjoyable) for a 11-years old.

I remember I found it quite "strong" when I read the incipit when it came out (and I was 19).

If she is an artist, I would recommend giving her some art supplies. They always run out and are quite expensive for kids to purchase.

Too true. That's a gift she'll really use.

Fairy Tail is fun :) and in many ways less boy-ish than say Naruto.

My niece really likes to draw and reads manga with that in mind and she enjoys Black Butler.

Black Butler is about a boy who sells his soul to a demon (who becomes his butler) to seek vengeance on his family's transgressors. I know the cartoon lightens it up a bit with slapstick.

Just so you know.

Maybe consider Mushishi. I liked that one.

It may sound creepy when you read the description but it is no more scary than Goosebumps. It's about a Mushi Master who travels medieval(?) Japan like an ancient healer would travel from village to village curing the sick, instead, he cures villages of Mushi infestations, which, in this world are just as common and natural as bacteria, fungus, or bugs. The Mushi are not necessarily bad, just a part of nature. It's intriguing and I can't remember any fighting.