• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Archie 271

5 posts in this topic

A little help here, please. What's an appropriate downgrade for the waviness added by moisture damage? I'm not talking about water stains. There are no actual water stains, but there is evidence of moisture.

I was excited to add this book to my collection of "I Can't Believe They Put That Risque' Stuff on A Comic Book Cover" collection.

I thought it would go well with these, among others. (Sorry for the odd photo rotations. I've tried to fix the issues, but Photobucket isn't cooperating.)

Archie_271_09_zpsntojgjjk.jpg

However, when my Archie 271 arrived, I was really disappointed by its waviness.

Next are some pictures to show you what I got. And then a story about what's not in the pictures.

Sorry I neglected to get the BC. There are no significant defects on the BC. Overall, the book is pretty solid. Some blunted corners, and some non CB creases along the spine, as seen in the pics. The pink circle above the CCA stamp looked at first to be amateur resto, but on closer inspection it just looks like some sort of a production issue.

The big disappointment for me was the moisture damage. I used the word "waviness" earlier. That's not really the right word. Perhaps the best word would be crinkly. You know what I mean? When you roll or fan a book slightly that has had moisture damage, and the book isn't supple but instead rather crinkly in your hands. It doesn't curve smoothly. Since there's no waviness to the book, I couldn't get that crinkliness in the photos.

From what you can see here.. what are your thoughts on

1) What grade you'd give it without moisture damage?

2) What grade you'd give it knowing that when you roll it a bit in your hands, it is sort of crunchy or crinkly, suggesting moisture damage that not visible to the eye or the camera?

Any help you could give I'd appreciate. Most likely, I'll just send the book back as extremely overgraded.

Thanks!