• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Auction vs BIN... which is more accurate?

65 posts in this topic

To go back to the original question, BINs are actually very accurate, in a way. When you see a BIN that is about to expire in 24 hours, you know that buyers have seen that offered price for at least a week, and decided not to buy it. Therefore, the accurate price is something less than the BIN value the would be seller has used.

e.g., say I have a CGC 9.6 copy of New Mutants 98, I know it is a hot book right now, and I want to maximize what I get for it, so I offer it as BIN at $600. And a week later, lots of potential buyers have seen the offering, the offer ends, and the book has not sold. We can then definitively say that book is worth something less than $600.

As opposed to then offering the same book as an auction, 23 people place bids, and at the last minute it gets sniped for $406.52. I submit the $406 is closer to the accurate price than $600, but as others have pointed out, there are lots of variables in a real auction. What is my shipping cost? What is my feedback? What time does the auction close? 9 pm EST on a Sunday when most people are home and awake is good; 3 am EST on a Tuesday is terrible.

we are talking BIN sales prices, not asking. for sure that copy of cable 9 someone has up for $15K is definitely way too high!

but i get your point. but unless it is a cgc book, you need to look carefully at what is offered. is the book claimed as a raw 9.8 but the picture is fuzzy from a mile away? does the seller accept returns or does it say "bid based on the scan, F-you"...these are going to be factors in sales price, of course. also, shipping cost. an $8.95 shipping price on a raw book is going to scare people off even if the total price is better than someone with free shipping or $3.99 shipping.

Too many auctions get no bids at $9.99 where I stick it in my store for $20 and get a $16 offer within a week for me to put too much faith in auction results.

there is a way to see what the best offer was

Not always.

If you submit an offer to a buyer directly for a listing that does not have the best offers option available and the buyer accepts your offer the listing will show that it sold for the full price.

Then the seller is paying full fees for what it didn't sell for and it's paid for outside ebay.

Then the seller is paying full fees for what it didn't sell for and it's paid for outside ebay.

No it isn't. Ebay has the option to make offers for listings through their messaging system. I can have a book listed for 100 bucks with no best offer option enabled. If a buyer sends me a PM on eBay asking about the book I can respond to that message with an offer price. If its accepted by the buyer the item is marked as sold on eBay and the selling price shows the full price at which it was listed, not the best offer price that it actually sold for.

so you can still make an official "best offer" even if the seller hasn't designated it??

The seller sends the buyer a best offer after the buyer has initially sent a message to the seller inquiring about the book.

so you can still make an official "best offer" even if the seller hasn't designated it??

The seller sends the buyer a best offer after the buyer has initially sent a message to the seller inquiring about the book.

so a seller can respond to an iquiry with an "official" offer?

did not know.

maybe i should look at my options more closely.

As a buyer only I have noticed that the majority of BIN prices are "stupidly, ridiculously" HIGH compared to Overstreet and actual eBay auction selling prices which I keep records of for my key books.

Same goes for the consignment books on MCS.

I always wondered what the seller was smoking before making the listing.

Just my opinion as a consumer.

Books marked at more then overstreet? Must be some hot keys you are tracking.

Take a look at some of the early Pre-Hero Journey Into Mystery and Strange Tales books, I will not buy them.

Conversely, I have had BINs that sat for 3 months then suddenly someone buys it.....

Yep - I just had a book that sat at BIN for a month with barely any lookers, then I relisted for a higher BIN and it sold in less than a day. (shrug)

Weird.

Conversely, I have had BINs that sat for 3 months then suddenly someone buys it.....

Yep - I just had a book that sat at BIN for a month with barely any lookers, then I relisted for a higher BIN and it sold in less than a day. (shrug)

Weird.

Relisting is key. Im SURE you all know this.

When I get those promotion listings from eBay for a few days I end all listings and relist almost daily... Until I see there are watchers on the listing...

Unless youre selling a trending/popular item on eBay, your listing will just get lost in an ocean of drek

Weird.

When I get those promotion listings from eBay for a few days I end all listings and relist almost daily... Until I see there are watchers on the listing...

Unless youre selling a trending/popular item on eBay, your listing will just get lost in an ocean of drek

Do you think more people are looking at new listings or listings that are ending? I guess I do not get many purchases as the 11:59 hour of a BIN but of course auctions do the best at the last second. I'll try that trick next time- thanks.

Weird.

Do you think more people are looking at new listings or listings that are ending? I guess I do not get many purchases as the 11:59 hour of a BIN but of course auctions do the best at the last second. I'll try that trick next time- thanks.

For BINs, I would guess new listings in hopes of finding items that are priced way too low before they can be popped by other opportunists.