• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm a newbie that needs tips

56 posts in this topic

Buy a foreclosed property with $550 down, fix it up, break it into 3 rental units and become Mr. Roper...just sit back on easy street waiting for those rent check to come in. It's as easy as 1, 2, 12.

Do that again with the first $550 you make from rent.

And then again.

They make it look really easy on television.

Buy a foreclosed property with $550 down, fix it up, break it into 3 rental units and become Mr. Roper...just sit back on easy street waiting for those rent check to come in. It's as easy as 1, 2, 12.

Do that again with the first $550 you make from rent.

And then again.

They make it look really easy on television.

..... :idea: move to Canada, buy a mobile home next to Ricky and Julian, rent a room out, use the proceeds to buy another trailer, rinse and repeat.... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I'm new to collecting and looking for hobby looking to start off my collection with spending 550 bucks to get it started the only super hero I'm into hevy is batman but I'm doing this more of a investment so looking for comics that isn't selling at their all time high at the moment I know the deal yeah if people knew the ones that was gonn spike everyone would buy them but I'm just looking for tips on what to buy. I may buy batman 121 because I grew up with mr freeze as my fav villain.

People have to me to buy up dr strange due to the movie is that reasonable?

Buy what makes you happy. Go with Mr Freeze (thumbs u

.... this.

.... but with patience..... the money can draw interest while you're waiting for the right book. During this time, participate in the Forum threads that interest you and you may find that other books may interest you more than the Batman 121. Despite what you may have been led to believe, investing in comics is a slow growth, long term investment that is ideally made with disposable income. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Go to as many dedicated Comic Book only shows/conventions and search the bargain boxes relentlessly. Lots of times there will be dealers with a ton of overstock that they will be selling for 25 cents. Hit these guys up and buy what appeals to you. In the long run you can always turn around and sell your quarter books for at least a $1. You will be hard pressed to beat a return like that in any other form of investing. With your profits you will then be able to purchase one of the larger more valuable books later.

Good Luck :)

Go to as many dedicated Comic Book only shows/conventions and search the bargain boxes relentlessly. Lots of times there will be dealers with a ton of overstock that they will be selling for 25 cents. Hit these guys up and buy what appeals to you. In the long run you can always turn around and sell your quarter books for at least a $1. You will be hard pressed to beat a return like that in any other form of investing. With your profits you will then be able to purchase one of the larger more valuable books later.

Good Luck :)

oh lord, you don't want to become a dollar book dealer. just pull the trigger now.

if everything was so easy to sell for $1 each, why would the dealers sell it for 25 cents? why does my shop have 4 long boxes of pretty decent 3 for $2 books sitting out there (that I have cherry picked, but there is still good stuff in there).

I'm not saying there are not some serious opportunities out there, but you can't just buy any old long box of junk for $50 and expect it to have a FMV of $200-$250.

frankly, I think if you want to be a bottom feeder there are more opportunities in the $1-$3 (or 3/$10 books) turning those into $5-$20 sales. but you have to know what can sell otherwise you wind up buying a lot of $2 books that are worth $2.

sure, check out the 25 cent books, if you can find them, but don't ignore the stuff that costs a little more in the process.

(and why is it that i am giving advice that will result in more competition for me?)

Yes as Blob replied, you don't have to limit yourself to the dollar box and your goal is not to become a dollar book dealer. But all you need is one good pick whether it's for a quarter or a dollar it doesn't matter. The reason I suggest the 25 cent boxes is because most dealers won't waste the time to search them especially at a show. They don't know what

they are missing out on and if you pick the gem and turn around and sell it to them for $1,000+ they will never know :)

I have done this many times even most recently as February of this year where I purchased an Aquaman #35 from a $5 pile and flipped at the same show for a quick $175.

Yes I could have made more money off of the thing, but the dealer I sold it to saw me make the purchase and agreed to the deal.

Check out some of my past journal entries and you will see what great deals I have come across (TMNT #1 first print that graded CGC 8.5) for 25 cents.

Just remember when your going through bargain boxes your goal is to cherry pick the best and most undervalued/underpriced books.

Familiarize yourself with the Overstreet Price Guide so you know your stuff when you start looking through books. You need to have as much knowledge as the dealers you are purchasing from even if it is only in a specific area.

This is meant as advice not a judgment. Please do not take it as such.

$550 is a very specific amount to say you have to spend on comics. It makes me think that you came across that amount and are looking for a quick flip opportunity. Otherwise you would have said something like "I am thinking of getting my collection started with around $500 where should I start?"

Unless you are seasoned, have access to collections you can buy at less then market, and the time and energy to spend looking for such deals it is going to be tough to find a good "investment" on your first go round.

Being a college student is hard and takes up a lot of time. Running a business is harder and takes even more time. Doing both at the same time seems impossible to me but I never tried it myself.

My gut says you may need that $550 again sometime in the next year or two and if you have to sell your book that soon it is nearly guaranteed you will lose money on it. There is of course the off chance you happen to pick the next movie goldmine but the odds are stacked against you with a high dollar book.

Even new mutants 98 only slightly more then doubled in value in 9.8 and that was out of the blue. This isn't a sure fire win and lots of other people are trying to do the same thing you are. Lots of other people that have been doing it for years.

If you want to buy a $500 book as a collector you will get great joy out of it but know you will have to sell it to see a profit (IF it appreciates) and as others said that is painful. Also you are in college and chances are you will want to show off your awesome book and chances are you will at some point be around people that may steal it from you seeing it merely as cash.

My advice would be to keep your money, enjoy the hobby, go to conventions, learn, and avoid any painful situations. There are tons of $10-$20 books that are a lot less risk.

Best wishes and welcome to the boards!

I would pick up the following books;

New mutants 87 cgc 9.6 - First Cable approximately $250

Xmen 266 cgc 9.6 - First Gambit approximately $175

X factor 6 cgc 9.6 - First Apocalypse $125

All will get a quick bump when the movies come out. Just a suggestion, based on your budget if you are looking for some gain over the next year or twi.

Think this is a young individual.

I'm 20 I'm not that young lol

At 20 years old the best thing you can be spending your money on as an investment is an education. It certainly shouldn't be comic books with $550. That's if they should ever be looked at solely as an investment.

I wish I had 2 pennies to rub together at 20 years old. Honestly though if I were in your shoes I'd buy titles off the newsstand that you enjoy reading, Read them once and bag and board them. You have plenty of time once you are done with school and have established yourself with a good career/income. There are some sad stories I've come across with younger folks getting way over their head with comic books and going deep into debt as a result. You have plenty of time.

If you're single go find a nice girl to spend that $550 on!

"Find a nice girl to spend that 550 on? Are you freaking out of your mind giving a kid that kind of advice? Damn man. He busts his to just give it away on some girl?

/smack

Do yourself a favor and invest in you.