• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rotten Tomatoes critics are full of it! Batman v Superman was good! spoilers!

141 posts in this topic

I can forgive a few lapses of judgement in a film but when they are as monumental and plentiful as they are in BATMAN V SUPERMAN, it needs to be pointed out and be heard so they can avoid making another turd.

I proudly state that I hated this movie. I didn't want to when I waited to see this with my wife but we were completely annoyed with this insipid waste of time of a film. I say this as a fan of comics and movies but also as a bigger fan of great storytelling which is something sorely lacking in this film.

- The movie was long by an hour and the action was sad looking. I've seen better, inventive action in lower budget films.

- The constant god vs man allusions were beyond annoying.

- Do we really need to see Batman's origin yet again?

- Why was Wayne screaming "Dad" over the phone to a bald guy in his Metropolis Offices when his dad was shot a few minutes earlier?

- The only reason Batman doesn't hand Superman his death sentence is because their moms share the same first name?

- Superman will save Lois at the drop of a hat anywhere on the planet but he can't find his own mother in a few square miles?

- So Superman can't be around Kryptonite as it weakens him but he's strong enough to be able to use it to kill Doomsday? The same idiocy was done in SUPERMAN RETURNS when Superman was lifting a continents' worth of Kryptonite even though it can kill him.

- The JLA cameos where YouTube clips? BTW, Lex designed those logos? Also, if Lex knew who they all were for many years, why not take out them all out now before they become a bigger threat to his "goals"? Also, what are Lex's "goals"?

- What the h-e-l-l does Lex do for a living?

- Since when did Superman use guns to kill Africans and not his heatvision or neck-snapping powers?

- The dream sequences were absurd.

- The best scenes were in the trailers.

- Storylines from DARK KNIGHT RETURNS and DEATH OF SUPERMAN are fit awkwardly together.

- The Senate hearing was nonsensical. And for a guy who is Super to not smell, hear or sense a bomb in a guy's wheelchair because he wasn't focused? Zod used his powers better in the 5 minutes he had them compared to "superman".

- Luthor was GOTHAM / BATMAN & ROBIN overacted by Zuckerberg.

- Lois Lane & Perry White were useless.

- Superman? Well, Superman continues to look annoyed that he HAS to save people. You'd think he was made to "save the day" by being threatened from afar with a kryptonite bullet from a sniper. Emo Supes should just slit his wrists with a kryptonite knife and call it a day. Or just go back to "Deadliest Catch".

- Wonder Woman involvement was more of an extended cameo and her whole reason for being in the area was to try and find a missing photo?

- Batman was awesome although he was more Punisher than Batman.

- Alfred was cool.

Overall, this mess of a film was aimed more at a Transformers / TMNT film going crowd. And I, proudly, am neither.

He wasn't screaming "Dad" he was screaming the guy's name: Jack.

I can forgive a few lapses of judgement in a film but when they are as monumental and plentiful as they are in BATMAN V SUPERMAN, it needs to be pointed out and be heard so they can avoid making another turd.

I proudly state that I hated this movie. I didn't want to when I waited to see this with my wife but we were completely annoyed with this insipid waste of time of a film. I say this as a fan of comics and movies but also as a bigger fan of great storytelling which is something sorely lacking in this film.

- The movie was long by an hour and the action was sad looking. I've seen better, inventive action in lower budget films.

- Why was Wayne screaming "Dad" over the phone to a bald guy in his Metropolis Offices when his dad was shot a few minutes earlier?

- The only reason Batman doesn't hand Superman his death sentence is because their moms share the same first name?

- Superman will save Lois at the drop of a hat anywhere on the planet but he can't find his own mother in a few square miles?

- So Superman can't be around Kryptonite as it weakens him but he's strong enough to be able to use it to kill Doomsday? The same idiocy was done in SUPERMAN RETURNS when Superman was lifting a continents' worth of Kryptonite even though it can kill him.

- The JLA cameos where YouTube clips? BTW, Lex designed those logos? Also, if Lex knew who they all were for many years, why not take out them all out now before they become a bigger threat to his "goals"? Also, what are Lex's "goals"?

- Since when did Superman use guns to kill Africans and not his heatvision or neck-snapping powers?

- Storylines from DARK KNIGHT RETURNS and DEATH OF SUPERMAN are fit awkwardly together.

- The Senate hearing was nonsensical. And for a guy who is Super to not smell, hear or sense a bomb in a guy's wheelchair because he wasn't focused? Zod used his powers better in the 5 minutes he had them compared to "superman".

- Superman? Well, Superman continues to look annoyed that he HAS to save people. You'd think he was made to "save the day" by being threatened from afar with a kryptonite bullet from a sniper. Emo Supes should just slit his wrists with a kryptonite knife and call it a day. Or just go back to "Deadliest Catch".

- Wonder Woman involvement was more of an extended cameo and her whole reason for being in the area was to try and find a missing photo?

- Alfred was cool.

Overall, this mess of a film was aimed more at a Transformers / TMNT film going crowd. And I, proudly, am neither.

Sound editing was definitely an issue with the movie...or that was part of the liberal Marvel lovers conspiracy. To sabotage the speakers in every theater on earth.

I agree there was lots of sound problems. Often I couldn't understand a word batman was saying due to the sound modulation of his voice.

- Alfred was cool.

Sound editing was definitely an issue with the movie...or that was part of the liberal Marvel lovers conspiracy. To sabotage the speakers in every theater on earth.

Sound editing was definitely a problem. often I couldn't understand what batman was saying, the sound modulation device was taken to far.

- Alfred was cool.

As a big Transformers and TMNT fan I find what you just said as sounding elitist.

The Batman v. Superman movie was no way at the level of the Transformers and TMNT crowd.

The Transformers and TMNT movies were aimed at a much different crowd than Batman v.Superman.

Batman v. Superman dealt with mature and violent themes.

Btw there is nothing wrong with liking Transformers and TMNT movies,but Batman v. Superman certainly was not aimed at their audience.

2c

- Alfred was cool.

As a big Transformers and TMNT fan I find what you just said as sounding elitist.

The Batman v. Superman movie was no way at the level of the Transformers and TMNT crowd.

The Transformers and TMNT movies were aimed at a much different crowd than Batman v.Superman.

Btw there is nothing wrong with liking Transformers and TMNT movies,but Batman v. Superman certainly was not aimed at their audience.

2c

It may sound elitist but it doesn't detract from the fact that TMNT, TRANSFORMERS and BATMAN V SUPERMAN are really CGI spectacles with little, if any, character to them at all. If you enjoy the films, that's good for you. I wouldn't concede it to being "great" since any tool with a computer can create cool images / scenes and share them with people. Story is important and it was lacking in BATMAN V SUPERMAN. It's funny considering it's a very important component (just as important as the art) in comics.

- Alfred was cool.

2c

It may sound elitist but it doesn't detract from the fact that TMNT, TRANSFORMERS and BATMAN V SUPERMAN are really CGI spectacles with little, if any, character to them at all. If you enjoy the films, that's good for you. I wouldn't concede it to being "great" since any tool with a computer can create cool images / scenes and share them with people. Story is important and it was lacking in BATMAN V SUPERMAN. It's funny considering it's a very important component (just as important as the art) in comics.

There is nothing wrong with big CGI spectacles!

What did you think you were going to get with a Batman v. Superman movie?

Talking heads standing around in capes pontificating about their soap opera problems?

The Batman v, Superman fight was the most brutal superhero fight in comic movies.

It delivered!

Sorry, I want my DC superheroes bad arse, and not standing around cracking jokes.

Here is my take on BvS. Loved it. Does it have all the problems that everyone says it does? Absolutely. Superman's absurd power levels (and to a certain extent WW and GL) lead to anomalies - why don't his super senses sense everything? If he is that fast, how can anyone do anything without him stopping it etc? That is the main difference between Marvel and DC - marvel has superhumans and DC has demigods galore.

Snyder addresses these issues by playing with the archetypes - Superman is not the all-knowing all-powerful Silver Age Supes, he is a kid from Kansas who just happens to be endowed with amazing alien abilities. Batman is not the 70's Batman, tousling inner city youths' hair and hoping he can score with Silver St. Cloud. He is 45, retired, and the sight of the Supes/Zod battle sends his Bat-Vengeance meter into hyper-drive. These may not be your (or my) favorite version of the characters, but they sure are interesting in their own right.

A lot of the stuff that people seem to dislike is true DC fanboy gold, and the great thing (for me) is that while DKR is getting all the talk, it is actually Grant Morrison's JLA run that is being mined. All of the Bat dream sequences foreshadow the coming of Darkseid. Cyborg was created with a mother box. Those are parademons with the wings, and the symbol of the Omega Effect (Darkseid's ultimate power) is burned into the landscape. Flash going back in time to warn the present day heroes

Tons of this stuff was in the 6 issue Rock of Ages storyline from issue 9 or 10 of JLA. I was absolutely stoked. Easy 8/10

"Batman ripping a sink from a nearby wall and using it to whack Superman in the skull could not have been a stronger metaphor for the film, in toto. There’s a part of me that hopes Snyder did it on purpose, because on some level he knew how absurd the whole thing had become."

Even a 25% is a gift/generous RT score for BvS... The Zach Snyder "experiment" should come to an abrupt end. Green Lantern was a better movie.

"Batman ripping a sink from a nearby wall and using it to whack Superman in the skull could not have been a stronger metaphor for the film, in toto. There’s a part of me that hopes Snyder did it on purpose, because on some level he knew how absurd the whole thing had become."

What does this even mean? The idea of Batman fighting Superman necessarily requires an armored Batman and a severely de-powered Superman. To be a fight, it also necessarily requires them to hit each other with stuff. So, if it were something less mundane, like a particle accelerator, or something ironic, like a crowbar marked "Bat-Crowbar" it would have somehow been better?

I don't even get the criticism.

What does this even mean? The idea of Batman fighting Superman necessarily requires an armored Batman and a severely de-powered Superman. To be a fight, it also necessarily requires them to hit each other with stuff. So, if it were something less mundane, like a particle accelerator, or something ironic, like a crowbar marked "Bat-Crowbar" it would have somehow been better?

Kitchen sink maybe? Too much stuff crammed into the movie?

Kitchen sink maybe? Too much stuff crammed into the movie?

That makes sense. If, as a critic, you are going to be that glib and cutesy, you better connect the dots. At least for a guy like me to make the connection. lol

- Alfred was cool.

2c

There is nothing wrong with big CGI spectacles!

What did you think you were going to get with a Batman v. Superman movie?

Talking heads standing around in capes pontificating about their soap opera problems?

The Batman v, Superman fight was the most brutal superhero fight in comic movies.

It delivered!

Sorry, I want my DC superheroes bad arse, and not standing around cracking jokes.

I prefer CGI spectacles with substance, character and this film was void of any of it.

You must have been asleep as most of this movie was a talking heads flick (such as the pointless ramblings about Man vs God) up until the Doomsday fight.

Comics ARE soap operas and it's been openly admitted to be by many comic creators. And that's not a bad thing. To think otherwise is foolish.

As for the fight, it was sad and weak. I got more excitement from seeing Hulk & Hulkbuster in AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON and that scene had more drama and action than BVS. It also didn't end stupidly with the "Your mom's name is Martha? Mine's too! Can we be friends? Wanna swap girlfriends too?"

Utter nonsense.

Don't take this as a PRO- MARVEL FILM stance. For the most part, I like Marvel films -- some range from "eh" (IRON MAN 2, THOR 2) to "THAT WAS AWESOME!" (CAPTAIN AMERICA: WINTER SOLDIER and GOTG). It's just a stance I have as a fan who wants his heroes in worthy films. Marvel has a formula and it works for them. Doesn't mean every movie company has to follow that stance. Movie studios just need to be really smart with their choice of writers and director(s) -- DEADPOOL being a great example of a lil' engine that could to the highest grossing R rated film of all time.

Remember, these are the same critics that gave a steaming pile like AoU a decent score on RT. lol

RT is binary, just yes/no. Which means a 5.5+ out of 10 gets a 'yes', and a 4.5 out of 10 gets a 'rotten'.

So while the feeling was generally tepid about AOU, most people probably rated it between 5.5-7.0, leading to nobody loving it, but a lot of 'fresh' ratings.

But with BvS, most people seem to have stronger feelings about it, whether love or hate (lot of 8+, lot of 4.5-). But the 'hate' leads to a lot of scores below 5, even if barely below, where few 'hated' the AOU, just felt general but pleasant indifference. The 8-10 scores that some are giving still count just for 1 fresh, and the 4.5 scores still count for rotten.

RT is certainly not the end all be all, but one should understand what the number ACTUALLY means before choosing to deride or ignore it.

Remember, these are the same critics that gave a steaming pile like AoU a decent score on RT. lol

RT is binary, just yes/no. Which means a 5.5+ out of 10 gets a 'yes', and a 4.5 out of 10 gets a 'rotten'.

So while the feeling was generally tepid about AOU, most people probably rated it between 5.5-7.0, leading to nobody loving it, but a lot of 'fresh' ratings.

But with BvS, most people seem to have stronger feelings about it, whether love or hate (lot of 8+, lot of 4.5-). But the 'hate' leads to a lot of scores below 5, even if barely below, where few 'hated' the AOU, just felt general but pleasant indifference. The 8-10 scores that some are giving still count just for 1 fresh, and the 4.5 scores still count for rotten.

RT is certainly not the end all be all, but one should understand what the number ACTUALLY means before choosing to deride or ignore it.

I understand that, but my point is that Iron Man 2 and 3, as well as AoU, had decent scores on RT and good reviews elsewhere despite the fact that the movies sucked badly. The critics tend to like the light hearted superhero fare with very simple stories.

I understand that, but my point is that Iron Man 2 and 3, as well as AoU, had decent scores on RT and good reviews elsewhere despite the fact that the movies sucked badly. The critics tend to like the light hearted superhero fare with very simple stories.

I'll admit that its certainly tougher to pull of something more complex or ambitious, which is definitely what they were going for here. But if you can't do it right, critics aren't going to give you many points for trying. There were just too many holes and lapses in the story line, and too many issues with editing, sound editing, and pacing for critics to overlook. As fans, we certainly can. But a first year film student could point out a million different FIXABLE defects, and they can't turn off that part of their brain when the hits just keep coming, can't stop wondering why someone didn't notice and take action. I can't remember the last movie I watched where I had trouble clearly hearing dialogue at MULTIPLE points in the movie. This is the first movie where my wife fell asleep in the theater.

If you do something this heavy, you have very little room for error because there's no 'positive' moments for the viewer to feel good about. So it HAS to have full quality. But if its riddled with mistakes AND no joy, you're gonna get some unhappy critics (and viewers).