• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ditko ASM # 31 splash, "If This Be My Destiny"

25 posts in this topic

Shame. I assume if you get a response you will out the peddler. According to Burkey, ASMs 5 & 38 are still in Ditko's possession. All other Ditko ASM artwork is of very dubious provenance aka stolen. As ASM 10 was being sold thru Heritage, Ditko wrote to them to say he "didn't want to see any more (of 'his') art sold or else"

I'm not sure I understand this post. How would this out the peddler? (I'm not sure what that statement even means, could you clarify?)

The OA for ASM 31 was sold through Mastro auctions some years ago - the pages ended up selling separately rather than the whole book intact.

Some of those pages were immediately listed by Mike on his site and I've seen others pop up on CAF or the like.

I don't remember if the splash showed up on a dealer's site or not but I think I've seen it somewhere since the Mastro auction.

Exactly. I assumed it was common knowledge that the book was auctioned-off years ago.

When I came back to this thread the following morning I had a WTF moment when I read the first response to my request.

Terry just grab a beat up Essentials from your local library system or used book store. Far easier than what this thread has turned into ;) g'morning!

The OA would provide a better template and it's out there . . . somewhere!

Just to expand a little on my request for a decent-sized scan of the ASM # 31 splash . . . I'm currently gearing-up to have a few splashes-as-covers re-created by an artist friend.

Here's a composite-image example that I photo-shopped a short while ago. As Mike Burkey owns the OA splash, and has posted a good scan, there's a decent-sized image for my re-do artist to work from (the caption box at the bottom would need tweaking, probably in banner format):

spidey%2020%20cgc.jpg