• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Black Panther #1 of new series sells 300,000 copies???

153 posts in this topic

Let me preface this by saying I am not a collector, investor, or speculator... but really I suppose now I am all three (and a bad one, at that).

Coates's Black Panther #1 was the first comic I bought. I'm a fan of Coates's work in the Atlantic, though I am yet to read Between the World and Me. He has won the National Book Award and a MacArthur Genius grant. He is probably the leading popular intellectual on race at this time.

I'm a fan of comic book movies and TV shows, but largely have stayed away from actually buying comics because I have OCD tendencies.

When I say I have OCD tendencies, well... I've already purchased 21 different covers of the new Black Panther #1. I don't expect to get my money back (especially since I paid $80 for one (though I did get $20 off for spending over $100 at the store) and $60 each for two more of them, one of which I don't even like the art). Do I hope one day I'll be able to turn them around for a profit? Of course. But I also don't love the chances.

It is getting a lot of promotion due to the author, and also probably the appearance in Civil War, and also because of the standalone movie in 2018 (now being directed by the guy who directed Creed).

I guess what I'm saying is.. it's bringing new people in. And while it may not look like a traditional good buy, there's at least some appeal to outsiders.

Welcome to the boards!

I've been to 7 or 8 area shops this week hunting for various books and every one of them was completely sold out of BP#1, regular cover and variants. Looks like people are actually buying it to read

I've been to 7 or 8 area shops this week hunting for various books and every one of them was completely sold out of BP#1, regular cover and variants. Looks like people are actually buying it to read

I just went by Midtown yesterday and they still had stacks of several covers.

Not a bad read for a new (comic) writer on a new #1 i think it has potential and the letters section gives me confidence that coates is humbled and taking his run serious. i think that attitude will help make this a stand out book in a time when alot is riding on black panther leading into the movie heck the way marvel/disney is pumping them out a good enough story and it can be adapted into black panther part 2 in no time.

Three shop owners I know ordered heavy on this book and it seems to be selling well. It's an excellent read and I'll stick with it. Love me some Panther...

:cloud9:

Death to all but metal :applause:

:headbang:

Those guys are hilarious!

I'll be honest - I haven't read it yet. Before it launched, someone asked Coates on twitter how to read it if you aren't a normal comic book fan, and he said to wait until it was available to read in bulk. And I'm willing to wait for the story to be more complete.

Welcome to the boards.

I'll be honest - I haven't read it yet. Before it launched, someone asked Coates on twitter how to read it if you aren't a normal comic book fan, and he said to wait until it was available to read in bulk. And I'm willing to wait for the story to be more complete.

This isn't unusual in the hobby, it is typically called trade waiting since you're waiting for the complete, or at least some self contained portion of, the story to be released in a multi-issue format. It's great to have options. You can buy all of the individual issues and collect them with or without reading them, and then buy the collected versions later and have the same choice to make.

My concern is I want everything this comic touches, and it seems like there's going to be several variants for the #2 as well. And of course there will be, the #1 has at least 20 variants

Unfortunately, that is the state of things more often than not. It can drive some collectors, those that have to have em all, nuts. My (obvious advice) would be to remind you that it's supposed to be enjoyable, it's a hobby, not something that should be raising concern. Try to have fun, buy the covers you like, or only buy the one you like most for each issue.

Also, if it's any consolation, if you do want to keep getting all of the covers, the proliferation almost certainly won't continue, at least not on the same level.

Really? I went a very popular shop a week after it cameout, and they had tons of copies, a few shelves worth of the regular cover, and variants.

Really? I went a very popular shop a week after it cameout, and they had tons of copies, a few shelves worth of the regular cover, and variants.

Wade's in the only shop I've been to that still has them as of Saturday

Wade's in the only shop I've been to that still has them as of Saturday

Plenty of copies in Phoenix. This will be in dollar bins by the time the summer convention season starts unless Black Panther kills it in the new movie. (thumbs u