• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4 mil mylars w/ flap

77 posts in this topic

I don't get it. i use the flaps....do tell if im dangering my books. In the years ive been collecting ive never had one of the flaps damage the book. The only damage has been a result of me being a clumsy tit.

something about people trying to save a few bucks on storage for their 5 thousand dollar and up collections cracks me up.

i understand the need for cheap storage for non-important books, and the expense when storing a 1000 book collection in pricey holders, but there's a counterintuitiveness here that brings a smile to my face

But that closable flap is guaranteed to jack up at least one of your books eventually. I won't touch them.

Why's this? Not ragging, just curious...the only problem I can see would be a tape pull, in which case that's just dumbness on the part of the collector for not removing the tape first. Just wondering if I'm missing something and putting my books at risk? confused.gif

Those 4 mil mylars are very thick and stiff, and the flap tends to not want to bend open and it can be a pain to get the books in and out of them. So, when you do force the flap open, it tends to want to bend back to the closed position...and they're so stiff that if you're not careful, they could slice into or damage your book.

But that closable flap is guaranteed to jack up at least one of your books eventually.

Only if you're a person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point or don't pay attention to what you're doing. insane.gif

Eat me, KHurst!!!! poke2.gif27_laughing.gif

But that closable flap is guaranteed to jack up at least one of your books eventually.

Only if you're a person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point or don't pay attention to what you're doing. insane.gif

You were addressing Nightcrawler, right? poke2.gif

something about people trying to save a few bucks on storage for their 5 thousand dollar and up collections cracks me up.

i understand the need for cheap storage for non-important books, and the expense when storing a 1000 book collection in pricey holders, but there's a counterintuitiveness here that brings a smile to my face

There is nothing "cheap" about storing an expensive book in a Mylite2 with Fullback, and then sliding the entire package into a 4 mil Archive. That is as safe and archivally sound a storage medium as I can think of, especially if you use Microchamber paper inside the book. You can drop it from 10 feet up onto solid ground without hurting the book. Compare the results in Ze-Man's thread about the CGC slab vs. Mylar package. The Mylar beat the slab hands down. The mylared book suffered no damage after practically being shot with a bazooka. The CGC slabbed book was thrashed.

No, I'm addressing the FDQ who had to change his forum ID to escape shame and humiliation. poke2.gif

No, I'm addressing the FDQ who had to change his forum ID to escape shame and humiliation. poke2.gif

Did Ian change his name? OR are you talking about MajorKhaos? Wait, which FDQ are we referring to here? confused.gif

Yup, never had a problem with them. It's like anything else, if you know what you're doing and pay attention then you won't have a problem.

Nightcrawler1978 -> KHurst34 -> Hobgoblin

Shame and humiliation devil.gif

Did Ian change his name? OR are you talking about MajorKhaos? Wait, which FDQ are we referring to here? confused.gif

KHurst/Hobgoblin. He didn't hide it though.

Speaking of which, I think xokxtrunks is now "bullseye." yay.gif

With so many obvious shills right now, I have trouble keeping tabs on them all. confused-smiley-013.gif

lol...that explains all the, "I have no money" types of posts. 27_laughing.gif

not to mention - and i don't mean to be pejorative here or nothing - the lack of a, shall we say complete...grasp of the use of writing as a communication device