• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4 mil mylars w/ flap

77 posts in this topic

Just be at peace. Like Michael Jackson Yi Heeee! Shamone! Bo' Selecta! insane.gif

Yeah, like any of the people on these Forums apart from you, me, and UV are going to understand that reference. yeahok.gif

That is a very very very good point. I'll be brief. bear with my goldust 27_laughing.gif

Bo Selecta is a brilliant show over here in the uk that takes the "urine" out of people like michael jackson, mel Mel B (remember Spice Girls? The black chick from it. PLEASE dont judge this country by that band. And if you already have.....well......ARSE to it) and this particular quote happened to be one of Michaels More hilarious lines. (Plus he does the moonwalk with his bum hanging out. Obvious but hilarious stuff)

Auch just get the dvd off ebay or something. well worth a watch if you can understand a word of what they are saying

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=617&item=6380874800&rd=1

yay.gif

Just be at peace. Like Michael Jackson Yi Heeee! Shamone! Bo' Selecta! insane.gif

Yeah, like any of the people on these Forums apart from you, me, and UV are going to understand that reference. yeahok.gif

That is a very very very good point. I'll be brief. bear with my goldust 27_laughing.gif

Bo Selecta is a brilliant show over here in the uk that takes the "urine" out of people like michael jackson, mel Mel B (remember Spice Girls? The black chick from it. PLEASE dont judge this country by that band. And if you already have.....well......ARSE to it) and this particular quote happened to be one of Michaels More hilarious lines. (Plus he does the moonwalk with his bum hanging out. Obvious but hilarious stuff)

Auch just get the dvd off ebay or something. well worth a watch if you can understand a word of what they are saying

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=617&item=6380874800&rd=1

yay.gif

confused.gif I don't understand what you just said.

To you guys who use mylite2's inside a 4mil archive.

Do you find that its almost too much mylar? The 2 mils have a little extra bit at the top when you fold over it causes a bubble of sorts. Now, putting that into a 4 mil makes the book bend a little bit. I tend to just to the 1mil inside the 4 mil because

1. It it cheaper by about $5-6 per 100 and

2. You don't really gain anything but a little thickness on the inside. Which, if you are a serious collector your not going to be mishandling it anyways right.

But that closable flap is guaranteed to jack up at least one of your books eventually. I won't touch them.

Why's this? Not ragging, just curious...the only problem I can see would be a tape pull, in which case that's just dumbness on the part of the collector for not removing the tape first.

Just wondering if I'm missing something and putting my books at risk? confused.gif

Buy one of those 4 mil TimeLok mylars and put a book in and then take it out. You'll see exactly what we are talking about. Tape has nothing to do with it.

4 mil TimeLoks don't have flaps... do they? I was talking about mylites2.

But that closable flap is guaranteed to jack up at least one of your books eventually.

Only if you're a person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point or don't pay attention to what you're doing. insane.gif

Eat me, KHurst!!!! poke2.gif27_laughing.gif

You were addressing Nightcrawler, right? poke2.gif

No, I'm addressing the FDQ who had to change his forum ID to escape shame and humiliation. poke2.gif

Did Ian change his name? OR are you talking about MajorKhaos? Wait, which FDQ are we referring to here? confused.gif

KHurst/Hobgoblin. He didn't hide it though.

Speaking of which, I think xokxtrunks is now "bullseye." yay.gif

With so many obvious shills right now, I have trouble keeping tabs on them all. confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm not a shill, I just changed my name on the same account. If I ever get booted, I'm not going to waste my time trying to come back using another account. That's for Stalkers and people who really have WAY too much time on their hands grin.gif

lol...that explains all the, "I have no money" types of posts. 27_laughing.gif

not to mention - and i don't mean to be pejorative here or nothing - the lack of a, shall we say complete...grasp of the use of writing as a communication device

I hope you're talking about "bullseye." ....... 893naughty-thumb.gif

Besides, if it's me, I'm an engineer because I could never grasp correct grammar. thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, they do...

"TIME-LOKS® are our best R-KivalTM Sleeves. They are made from 4 mil-thick Mylar® D with a pre-folded flap to lock in protection. Our exclusive Ultraweld™ technology makes our seams the strongest in the industry. Use Time-Loks™ as permanent storage for your most treasured comic books."

lol...that explains all the, "I have no money" types of posts. 27_laughing.gif

not to mention - and i don't mean to be pejorative here or nothing - the lack of a, shall we say complete...grasp of the use of writing as a communication device

I hope you're talking about "bullseye." ....... 893naughty-thumb.gif

Besides, if it's me, I'm an engineer because I could never grasp correct grammar. thumbsup2.gif

no, i warn't talking 'bout you. you gots you some good English.

and while i do know what "Selecta" means, i did not catch the teevee reference. when you listen to a lot of jungle dnb, you pick up on all the hip urban slang

But that closable flap is guaranteed to jack up at least one of your books eventually. I won't touch them.

Why's this? Not ragging, just curious...the only problem I can see would be a tape pull, in which case that's just dumbness on the part of the collector for not removing the tape first.

Just wondering if I'm missing something and putting my books at risk? confused.gif

Buy one of those 4 mil TimeLok mylars and put a book in and then take it out. You'll see exactly what we are talking about. Tape has nothing to do with it.

Then you weren't following the discussion correctly. Stronguy and I were talking about the hard flaps on TimeLoks. They are dangerous.

To you guys who use mylite2's inside a 4mil archive.

Do you find that its almost too much mylar? The 2 mils have a little extra bit at the top when you fold over it causes a bubble of sorts. Now, putting that into a 4 mil makes the book bend a little bit. I tend to just to the 1mil inside the 4 mil because

1. It it cheaper by about $5-6 per 100 and

2. You don't really gain anything but a little thickness on the inside. Which, if you are a serious collector your not going to be mishandling it anyways right.

The way I do it is as follows:

Two to five pieces of Microchamber paper per book - always one inside front and back cover, usually one piece at the centerfold, and sometimes one piece after the first 1/4 and 3/4 of the pages. Place the book against the Fullback. Slide the book and Fullback UPSIDE DOWN carefully into the Mylite2. Bend the flap over at the point where the flap starts and the rest of the Mylite2 ends. NO TAPE. There will not be a pucker or bubble if you fold the flap over here. If you try to bend the flap over below the point where the rest of the Mylite2 bag starts, you will get a pucker like you're describing.

Slide this package into the 4 mil Mylar with the flap end of the Mylite2 facing down. Finished package looks beautiful and provides incredible protection for the book.

1 mil Mylites are too crinkly. I don't mind paying the extra $5-6 per 100 for Mylite2s.

Rough estimate, how many raw books do you own FFB?

3,000-4,000? Somewhere around there.

Duuude i really want to be you! But not you because im happy as me...........auch you know what i mean! I want alll your comics! 27_laughing.gif i only hav around 500-600 frown.gif

I know going through and just buying Mylite2s and Fullbacks for my books is a huge amount of money. I don't know if it is cost-effective to also use Mylar with that. Especially for 10K books. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Duuude i really want to be you! But not you because im happy as me...........auch you know what i mean! I want alll your comics! 27_laughing.gif i only hav around 500-600 frown.gif

It's not the size of the collection, it's the quality.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Although FFB probably has much higher quality too. grin.gif

The 2 mils have a little extra bit at the top when you fold over it causes a bubble of sorts.

Yeah it does and I hate, hate, hate it. I know there are mylites out there that don't have this, anyone know where I can pick them up?

BTW: sure didn't expect this thread to hit 4 pages. screwy.gif

BTW2: Yes possum, I am a shill.

I know going through and just buying Mylite2s and Fullbacks for my books is a huge amount of money. I don't know if it is cost-effective to also use Mylar with that. Especially for 10K books. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Not all or even the majority of my books get the Mylite2/Microchamber/Fullback/Archive treatment. Probably only a few hundred of what I have would qualify. My Amazing Spider-Man run (about 500 issues with a lot of doubles) all get Fullback and Archive only, except for the ones worth more than $200.

All of my modern stuff gets polybags and regular back boards. All told across the entire collection, I probably only have about 1,000 books in Mylar.

I am fast becoming a believer in the acid-free boxes though. The acidic cardboard smell in my comic room from the regular cardboard boxes was becoming overwhelming if I left the door closed for more than a day. I can only imagine what the air inside of a regular cardboard box is like after a few months of being closed. I am in the process of switching away completely from regular cardboard. It's a small price to pay, I think.

It's not the size of the collection, it's the quality.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Although FFB probably has much higher quality too. grin.gif

Thats classed as rubbing it in. poke2.gif

October,

Currently the reason we see the bubble at the top is because there isn't enough board to cover it. So, what really needs to be done is a complete overhaul of the boards to allow them to cover all the mylar itself.

If you look at poly bags you see that boards completely fit to the top and there is no bubble. But if there is no board to cover that extra part, then you will get a bubble.

The reason I prefer the mylites is because it is so thin, the extra won't hurt because its too thin to curl the books.

I am in the process of designing a better board that will fit the mylars. I had hoped to do my own mylars, but its too expensive to get into that right now. The boards however are within my grasp and that will solve the problem of the "bubble"