• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting Creepy and Eerie...

39 posts in this topic

There is a one inch corner crease that breaks color that was cropped out of the scan and there is ink transfer along the back spine that is pretty bad. The seller had it at VF/NM, in hand it's more like VF maybe VF+. In any case, I love it. Good colors and great eye appeal. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I am surprised more people don't collect mags. A comic, in comparable shape and from the same year (66), would be priced to the stratosphere.

I am surprised more people don't collect mags. A comic, in comparable shape and from the same year (66), would be priced to the stratosphere.

We're out there... shy.gif

Yes, the enlightened few... cloud9.gif

I was at Frazetta's house a few months ago and we were in his studio flipping though some unframed paintings. I can across the art to that cover except the two guys in the foreground were missing. I asked Frank if this painting was a prelim and he said "No, I didn't like the way I drew the two guys, so I painted them out!"

foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

I was at Frazetta's house a few months ago and we were in his studio flipping though some unframed paintings. I can across the art to that cover except the two guys in the foreground were missing. I asked Frank if this painting was a prelim and he said "No, I didn't like the way I drew the two guys, so I painted them out!"

...Really? Your friends with Frazzie?

And it's a good time for the "englightened few" to be getting thier copies. They will not be cheap forever...

I have heard rumors that he has done this to some of his paintings. Granted they are his to do whatever he wants with but I wonder if he cares that some of us consider his paintings classics and would be saddened to see some of them altered. I once had an illustration teacher say that once you sign your name to a painting it is DONE. If later you go back and think you could have done something to make it better, just use that idea in your next piece. Look at your previous works as stepping stones in your creativity. To think Frazetta does this to his original paintings rather than attempt a new version is mind boggling. I do realize the man has had a stroke and maybe cannot do all that he could so maybe that is his rational at this point. BTW: If you know him how is his health these days?

I have heard rumors that he has done this to some of his paintings. Granted they are his to do whatever he wants with but I wonder if he cares that some of us consider his paintings classics and would be saddened to see some of them altered.

Oh, it's no rumor - there are many, many original/altered "before and after" photos of his paintings in the Icon, Legacy and Testament trilogy of Frazetta art books compiled and edited by Arnie Fenner.

Perhaps the most egregious example is the re-do of the Vampirella #1 cover. FF painted out her costume (allegedly because he never liked the costume) so that she is completely nude. Unfortunately, in the original version, Vampi was wearing boots and Frank apparently had a hard time painting them out, because one of her feet now looks like a big ugly, deformed block. foreheadslap.gif

I have heard rumors that he has done this to some of his paintings. Granted they are his to do whatever he wants with but I wonder if he cares that some of us consider his paintings classics and would be saddened to see some of them altered.

Oh, it's no rumor - there are many, many original/altered "before and after" photos of his paintings in the Icon, Legacy and Testament trilogy of Frazetta art books compiled and edited by Arnie Fenner.

Perhaps the most egregious example is the re-do of the Vampirella #1 cover. FF painted out her costume (allegedly because he never liked the costume) so that she is completely nude. Unfortunately, in the original version, Vampi was wearing boots and Frank apparently had a hard time painting them out, because one of her feet now looks like a big ugly, deformed block. foreheadslap.gif

Thanks Gene,

Yes, I have seen the Vampi # 1 retouch and the feet still look like the shape of the boots especially when compared to the original (or in this case, the FIRST original tongue.gif). I was interested in a response from spider9698 as he apparently knows Frank and I would be curious to hear Frazetta's reasoning for doing what most of us think is a bad idea.

PS: I used the word "rumor" as I was not certain of this fact.

Really enjoying the thread & was suitably moved to go purchase my very own copy of Creepy 1:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6531816777

Will post scans once it arrives.

How much would one expect to pay for a VF copy of Eerie 1?

mad.gifmad.gif I should never have started this thread! I was the underbidder on 2 of those Creepys you bought (3, 4) and one we both lost (2)! Christo_pull_hair.gif

mad.gifmad.gif I should never have started this thread! I was the underbidder on 2 of those Creepys you bought (3, 4) and one we both lost (2)! Christo_pull_hair.gif

flowerred.gif

It's cool. Just don't tell anyone else how great this stuff is! grin.gifshy.gif

Nice pickups BTW. Be sure to post scans when you get them. thumbsup2.gif

Really enjoying the thread & was suitably moved to go purchase my very own copy of Creepy 1:

Well a VF copy of Eerie #1 will probably set you back $500 to $1,000++++ but it may take you years and years to find one. gossip.gif It was never released on the newstand. It was more of a prototype issue that had a meager print run (less than 1,000 i think?...someone help)

The first actual production issue that went on the newstands for Eerie issue #2, which had a Frazetta cover. You can probably get a solid VF copy of that book for $30-$45 if you look pretty hard. Or if you find someone who has nice stuff, but doesnt know how to grade and just says "this book is in very good condition", where thier "very good" doesnt mean OUR VG (5.0), but more like a VF 8.0. Happens sometimes...

Happy hunting bro.

-bounty

flowerred.gif

It's cool. Just don't tell anyone else how great this stuff is! grin.gifshy.gif

Nice pickups BTW. Be sure to post scans when you get them. thumbsup2.gif

Nay worries thumbsup2.gif

Well a VF copy of Eerie #1 will probably set you back $500 to $1,000++++ but it may take you years and years to find one. gossip.gif It was never released on the newstand. It was more of a prototype issue that had a meager print run (less than 1,000 i think?...someone help)

The first actual production issue that went on the newstands for Eerie issue #2, which had a Frazetta cover. You can probably get a solid VF copy of that book for $30-$45 if you look pretty hard. Or if you find someone who has nice stuff, but doesnt know how to grade and just says "this book is in very good condition", where thier "very good" doesnt mean OUR VG (5.0), but more like a VF 8.0. Happens sometimes...

Happy hunting bro.

-bounty

Thanks for the info (checked out the link posted earlier & thought the cover of Eerie #1 looked a little out of kilter with the rest of the series). thumbsup2.gif

I would be curious to hear Frazetta's reasoning for doing what most of us think is a bad idea.

That point is actually addressed in one of the books as well. I believe his response was something to the effect of "they're my creations and if I am not completely satisfied with the original version, whether because I grew tired of it or my vision did not match the editor's vision of the published piece, then it's my right to change it as I please."

That famous Conan painting where he is swinging a battle axe (used as the cover of the softcover version of "ICON") is actually painted over an earlier version which Frazetta says, in one of the books, "sucked". And, on that one, he was right - the previous version did suck, with Conan looking like a puffed up Michelin Tire Man.

Still hard to believe he is altering the originals rather than painting a new version but what do I know? The man is a talent, maybe THE talent of this genre of illustration! Going to pick up the "Painting With Fire" DVD soon as I heard good reviews.