• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skeleton hand 1 guess the grade

9 posts in this topic

Just got this back from CGC. This comic is really nice. the corners are pretty sharp. Excuse the Newton rings.

The comic was pretty flat but I sent it in for pressing. I'm alarmed at how the top edge looks wavy. Does pressing cause a wavy edge? I believe it was flat when I sent it in.

P1110065_zpsxrllcv7q.jpg

P1110066_zpsjonm9v05.jpg

P1110067_zpsrzrcdloc.jpg

P1110068_zpsfdxeqwkp.jpg

Is the cover still attached at the bottom staple? I can't tell for sure from the pic. Assuming it is, I'll say 9.2.

I have seen other books with wavy edges, but I can't say for certain whether pressing is the culprit. Take a gander at this Batman #5 that sold on CConnect back in March:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=645900

Some of us suspect that CCS increased heat and humidity in their pressing process a few years ago in order to reduce cycle time and that many books are now being damaged from pressing. Since the process parameters are proprietary, there's probably no way to prove that hypothesis.

(CGC seems to conveniently overlook defects caused by pressing, so I guessed 9.2 even though that wavy edge should take it down to 6.0.)

It got...

an 8.5

Very disappointed. This comic looks amazing in hand. I think they must have hammered it for the Light Tan top edge. The graders notes also say spot of rust on each staple, so it got hit hard for that too. I'm telling you though it presents in hand like a 9.2.

It got...

an 8.5

Very disappointed. This comic looks amazing in hand. I think they must have hammered it for the Light Tan top edge. The graders notes also say spot of rust on each staple, so it got hit hard for that too. I'm telling you though it presents in hand like a 9.2.

8.5 is the top end for LT, and it has been for a long time. The theory is that paper degradation is part of the structural grade, and it's hard to argue even though it may be decades before there is any brittleness.

This book presents like a legit 9.4

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=3657&GSub=632