• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Value do you list when submitting a Comic for Grading

38 posts in this topic

I'll use the following as an example.

1. If I submit an X-Men #94 that I feel is around NM which is listed for $500 in NM condition without CGC grading and $1944 with CGC 9.4 grading in the Comics Buyers Guide. Would you list it as Standard $49 which caries a maximun value of $1000. Or Would you list it as Express $79 maximum value of $4000. The problem I feel is I don't know the true grade and I might over pay for grading if it comes bask at CGC 8.5. There's a small tear on back cover about 1/4"

Thanks for any insight you may provide.

1. If I submit an X-Men #94 that I feel is around NM which is listed for $500 in NM condition without CGC grading and $1944 with CGC 9.4 grading in the Comics Buyers Guide. Would you list it as Standard $49 which caries a maximun value of $1000. Or Would you list it as Express $79 maximum value of $4000. The problem I feel is I don't know the true grade and I might over pay for grading if it comes bask at CGC 8.5. There's a small tear on back cover about 1/4"

You might want to go with modern grading ($15), since that tear on the back cover may drop it down to an 8.0 or 7.5.

You might want to go with modern grading ($15), since that tear on the back cover may drop it down to an 8.0 or 7.5.

X-Men #94 is pre-1975, so modern tier is not an option. The value of the book is generally recognized as the OS Guide value, not the slabbed market price. Also chance are that it is nowhere near NM. A 1/4" tear puts it at no better than a 8.0 IMHO. Without a scan it is impossible to evaluate.

Without a doubt, this book will fall under both the standard and economy tier limits. sumo.gif

so, again, what value do you list when submitting? let's say the grade is a NM.

even better, let's say you didn't know the grade definitively. you go by OSPG right?

The value of the book is generally recognized as the OS Guide value, not the slabbed market price.

That's usually the rule but there are exceptions. Although CGC doesn't nickel and dime you on values of books and they usually just go by what the submitter says or by the OS value, when a book is clearly worth more than the maximum for the tier that it is submitted under (like with Burntboy's FF#11 CGC 9.4), CGC will check ebay and GPA for value data to determine FMV even if OS shows a much lower value on the book.

To answer the submitter's question, you should insure your book for the amount that you want to be paid if it gets lost or damaged. That's what the stated value is for.

Actually Modern starts in 1975 and #94 has a published date of Aug 1975

Comic Front

http://users.adelphia.net/~cvalley/xm94f.jpg

Comic Back

http://users.adelphia.net/~cvalley/xm94b.jpg

To be honest with you, even though the book looks nice, it does have a few faults (color breaking stress lines near upper staple, slight edge wear on right side of front cover, 1/4" tear that probably results in a bend, and small piece missing from bottom left corner of back cover). I really can't see CGC giving it anything higher than 7.5. If I had to guess, the book would probably receive a 7.0. Therefore, modern is the way to go. I just sold a 5.5 copy of this book, and a 6.5 copy of #95 (both with slight color touch) on Ebay for $202.50 total. I was surprised since I was only expecting around $150 for both.

Comic Front

Comic Back

To be honest with you, even though the book looks nice, it does have a few faults (color breaking stress lines near upper staple, slight edge wear on right side of front cover, 1/4" tear that probably results in a bend, and small piece missing from bottom left corner of back cover). I really can't see CGC giving it anything higher than 7.5. If I had to guess, the book would probably receive a 7.0. Therefore, modern is the way to go. I just sold a 5.5 copy of this book, and a 6.5 copy of #95 (both with slight color touch) on Ebay for $202.50 total. I was surprised since I was only expecting around $150 for both.

I don't know, Skybolt. I think his book is NM -- Not Mint. 27_laughing.gif

Agree with the 7.0 F/VF BTW.

X-Men #94 is pre-1975,

foreheadslap.gif

8/75 gossip.gif

What do I know? foreheadslap.gif (or care 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif)

I do know I sent both of my copies in economy (obviously unaware) but at the time they would have come back in the dreaded "red label" 893whatthe.gif

Comic Front

Comic Back

I don't know, Skybolt. I think his book is NM -- Not Mint. 27_laughing.gif

Agree with the 7.0 F/VF BTW.

I agree, except for the nomenclature - I'll use NVF 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

While I appriciate all the help in advising me in the proper way to proclaim value, by using OS instead of Slabbed value. Unless a person wants to insure to a higher value.I didn't really appriciate being laughed at though..

Thanks from the newbie on the block that won't go out on a limb by stating an estimated grading again.

Nuff said

While I appriciate all the help in advising me in the proper way to proclaim value, by using OS instead of Slabbed value. Unless a person wants to insure to a higher value.I didn't really appriciate being laughed at though..

Thanks from the newbie on the block that won't go out on a limb by stating an estimated grading again.

Nuff said

Trust me Clare, I was the same way until a few years ago when I started submitting to CGC. Back in those days, I had an X-Men #106 come back a 4.0 (I thought it was an 8.5 foreheadslap.gif), and an X-Men #162 that came back a whopping 5.5. Practice makes perfect. Stick around, and you'll learn a lot from our ever loving board members. A lot of us are purely joking around when using the Graemlins... there's no ill will intended. Hope you stick around. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks Skybolt, I knew it was in jest, and I really did appriciate the help, and you're right I have a lot to learn in grading. I'll need to learn fast and most of it will probably come from comics that I send to CGC. I've recently retired and to live up to my prior commitment of selling off my collection of 44 years. I have near complete runs of all the Marvel issues. In fact I'm probably one of a very very select few that bought a copy of Spiderman #1 off the newsstand. Around X-Men #134 I bought 25 copies every month for abour six years. They were bagged and boarded and boxed as soon as I received them and never touched again. Even now as I send a few of these modern comics out for grading I refuse to touch them. I've looked at them through the bags and gotten goose bumps.

Just yesterday I joined GPAnalysis

Ya, I'll stick around. And who knows maybe I'll even develope a sense of humor.

Clare

Clare,

Don't get too down!! Almost everybody gets slapped around on the boards a bit (over everything) & grading is something that's so dang subjective it's bound to solicit opinions (strong and otherwise).

So, like Skybolt said, stick around & enjoy the wealth o' knowledge on the boards & the freakshow for what it is!

BTW - nice book. X-94 is a grail for a lot of people. Enjoy your copy.

Thanks Skybolt, I knew it was in jest, and I really did appriciate the help, and you're right I have a lot to learn in grading. I'll need to learn fast and most of it will probably come from comics that I send to CGC. I've recently retired and to live up to my prior commitment of selling off my collection of 44 years. I have near complete runs of all the Marvel issues. In fact I'm probably one of a very very select few that bought a copy of Spiderman #1 off the newsstand. Around X-Men #134 I bought 25 copies every month for abour six years. They were bagged and boarded and boxed as soon as I received them and never touched again. Even now as I send a few of these modern comics out for grading I refuse to touch them. I've looked at them through the bags and gotten goose bumps.

Just yesterday I joined GPAnalysis

Ya, I'll stick around. And who knows maybe I'll even develope a sense of humor.

Clare

Wow, 44 years of collecting.

By the way Clare, when you started collecting in the early 60's did you have a feeling that those early Marvels would be worth something one day? It's really interesting to hear these types of stories from original collectors.

Welcome to the boards clare smile.gif Im in awe of you buying the spider-man 1 off the shelf. Ya should have bought all of them, bagged and borded them and then hidden them till now! hehe (thats if they bagged and boarded comics then?)