• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone deal with Steve Sibra?

24 posts in this topic

He's always been right on the money with the raw books I've purchased from him. 6 years ago I bought a Marvel Super-Heroes Special #1 from him. He graded it NM. After CGC came on the scene I got it slabbed -- 9.4. For the longest time that was the highest graded copy.

He's also a really decent guy.

He's definitely reputable, and you should have NO problems with him. However, when you look at his feedback record, keep in mind that he will not leave positive feedback for you until you leave it for him. That being said, I have had many transactions with him, all perfect, and would not hesitate to deal with him again.

Joe

Has anyone dealt with Steve Sibra before? What is his grading like? His ebay handle is herm2pipes. Is he a member of these boards? Thanks for any help.

I don't believe he's a board member, but you should have no problem - I've done business with him here and there over the years...so bid with confidence! thumbsup2.gif

I have bought books from Steve Sibra before. Let me tell you about this great man.

The first time I ever bought a book from Steve Sibra, because of the value of the transaction, I wanted to meet him in person to make the exchange. So we planned to meet in a nearby park, I with my cash and Steve with the book -- a raw, NM/MT 9.8 copy of Tales of Suspense #52. I went to the appointed place at the appointed time and did not see Steve there waiting. I waited for a few minutes, wondering where he could be, when I heard a squeal of delight from about 50 yards away. As I searched for where the sound had some from, I saw a little girl with hair of straw gold, arms outstretched to the sky, looking longingly at the upper branches of a tree. Down from the tree came Steve Sibra, the little girl's frightened kitty cat in hand, wrapped in the TOS#52 for safety. After Steve returned the cat to the little girl, he came to me and apologized for ruining the now cat-scratched book and told me to keep my money and take the book with his compliments.

The next time I bought a book from Steve Sibra was when he was attending a show in Colorado. Steve called me to tell me that he had found a book that I had been wanting for a very long time, a Brave and the Bold #25 in NM+ 9.6 condition. Steve knew how important this book was to me and was taking a private chartered flight to San Francisco to deliver the book to me personally.

On the flight to San Francisco, the engines failed and Steve and the pilot had to bail out of the plane over the Rocky Mountains. Alas, the pilot, as a result of Steve's haste to get to San Francisco and get me my book immediately, had forgotten to pack parachutes on the small plane. Not a problem for our man Steve though. Steve took a length of rope, lashed the pilot to him, and jumped out of the plummeting plane using the B&B#25 as a parachute. Both men were saved. All might have been well, except that they were still trapped in the Rocky Mountains and it was the dead of winter. Steve was forced to use the B&B#25, first as a shovel to scoop snow and build an igloo for shelter, and then as fuel to keep his fire lit and keep both men alive through the night until they were rescued the next day.

The most recent time I bought a book from Steve Sibra was even more notable. As with the first two times, the transaction was for a high dollar book and we were to meet in person to exchange cash for comic. The book was a raw Amazing Fantasy #15 VF+. I looked at the book. It was perfectly graded and unrestored. Not an 8.4, not an 8.6, not even an 8.55. It was 8.5, dead on. I gave him the money and he gave me the book.

As we were parting ways, we saw a little old lady being acosted by a vicious mugger. Steve grabbed the AF#15 from my hands, rolled it up, and used it as a makeshift club to beat the attacker into submission. After the perp was taken away in handcuffs, Steve gave me all of my money back and even let me keep the book because it was the right thing to do. I asked Steve if he could press out the dents he had put in the book with his stunning defeat of the mugger, but "No," he replied while being ringed by a saintly glow of intense, white light, "it would violate the sacred trust I have built up through years of good deeds in this hobby if I were to press these dents out of the book. I may as well go punch that old lady in the face myself if I were going to do that."

I do not believe that you will find a better man in the comic industry than "Saint" Steve Sibra. hail.gif

Scott, I can't believe you didn't rescue the kitten of the girl with the straw gold hair yourself, wrapping the cat for safety in the money you had brought to pay for the comic. mad.gif

Shame! poke2.gif