• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BUCKAROO BANZAI written from MGM
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Kevin Smith Adapting Buckaroo Banzai For Television

Kevin Smith is working on a television series adaptation of cult film The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension.

The new project comes as a direct result of Smith’s recent directing gig on The Flash, which Smith says opened up a lot of “weird doors” for him.

“I’ve never f*cking done anything in my life that had more people saying, holy sh*t, good job,” Smith said on the May 13 episode of his Hollywood Babbl-On podcast. “Like 22-year career, man. Not even in the beginning, when they liked me and sh*t.”

“Basically you just do the entire movie for season one, then season two you finally do the sequel we’ve all dreamed about, Buckaroo Banzai against the World Crime League,” Smith explained of his approach to the adaptation.

:whee:

I just hope they get the guy's name right this time.

sc760w.gif

Kevin Smith's Buckaroo Banzai TV Series Close To Deal With Amazon

When Kevin Smith said the wheels were in motion for a new Buckaroo Banzai television series, it appears he wasn't kidding.

The popular Director's TV adaptation of The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across The 8th Dimension is reportedly very close to finalizing a deal between MGM and streaming giant Amazon (via Deadline). Streaming services are always looking to secure more original and nostalgic content, and this would fit both categories nicely.

Smith will be at a panel on in Hall H on Saturday, where the news could be officially unveiled if the deal indeed closes. He's previously discussed his approach to the first season of the show, which he described as basically a recreation of the original film.

“Basically, you just do the entire movie for season one, then season two you finally do the sequel we’ve all dreamed about, Buckaroo Banzai against the World Crime League."

:wishluck:

Kevin Smith Walks Away from Buckaroo Banzai TV Series After MGM Sues Creators

In May, during his Hollywood Babbl-On podcast, Kevin Smith revealed that he was working with MGM on a television adaptation of the 1984 cult classic The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension! (commonly shortened to Buckaroo Banzai) — written by Earl Mac Rauch and directed by W.D. Richter. Then, in July, it was announced that his Buckaroo Banzai TV series was headed to streaming giant Amazon.

Now, Smith has stated in a new Facebook Live video that he's walking away from Buckaroo Banzai after learning earlier today that MGM has filed a lawsuit against its original creators, Rauch and Richter. "I'm not saying anyone is wrong in this situation," Smith said. "What I'm saying, respectively to all parties involved, I'm out."

Smith did leave the door open to returning to the project. "I'm no longer involved," he added. "I don't wish anyone harm. I wish all parties well. I hope those dudes come to an agreement, and if they do and still want me involved down the road, I'll be here."

My family surprised me with this little goody in my stocking that I have been paitently hunting for.

image.png.24762ad0b369c7f544e5a25c0fbd1482.png

Loaded with features throughout. Including some great interviews.

Hopefully one day they figure out a way to make this continue in a meaningful and entertaining way.

:wishluck: