• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Getting a Print signed at a con

21 posts in this topic

Sorry not comic related and didn't know where to leave this, please don't throw stones!

Does anyone have experience getting a large 20x30 or 16x20 print signed? I am debating on leaving it in the tube and unrolling it at the table or finding a way to flatten it prior. I am mainly concerned with getting it bent, dented, or ripped. Never did this before so sorry if its a dumb question.

Any tips would be great!

Thanks!

I personally would go tube

I forgot mine at con over the weekend I only bought two signed prints and a itsy sketch

But forgetting the tube was sad..then I had to figure out how to jostle them in next to comics and autographs in protective covere..

I have a good tube & backpack system. Some backpacks come with side pockets for holding drinks ... also great for 25" tubes. Just make sure to wrap the tube's strap stightly to the pack so you're not swinging the tube at other people while walking

My main concern is getting it messed up while trying to roll it out and hold it down during the signing.

you'd definitely be better off if you had someone with you to help wrangle everything, if the line's moving fast and you're trying to do too much, it's usually a recipe for messing things up. Either flat or rolled, you'll need to have it in something to protect it while you carry it around, have you checked to see if they make the rigid plastic sleeves in the size you're talking about to store it flat?

My main concern is getting it messed up while trying to roll it out and hold it down during the signing.

you'd definitely be better off if you had someone with you to help wrangle everything, if the line's moving fast and you're trying to do too much, it's usually a recipe for messing things up. Either flat or rolled, you'll need to have it in something to protect it while you carry it around, have you checked to see if they make the rigid plastic sleeves in the size you're talking about to store it flat?

No I haven't seen any sleeves for it. Just a backboard that you can make with posterboard. I plan on framing it any way so may just wait because that should flatten it out

I bought one 27x40 mylar for exactly what you are doing. When I know I will be getting the signature, I put the poster in the mylar which keeps it flat. Once I get to the signer, I just lift the area I want the sig on and boom!. After that, roll it back up and in a tube for easy transport.

Where did you get that mylar from? I have a 16x20 print that I want signed

Thanks

A buddy of mine ordered a couple from somewhere. I believe you can get them from Bags Unlimited or maybe HotFlips.

Roll it so the printing is on the outside. Then when you unroll it, it's not so difficult. Plastic tubes won't damage it unless you do something weird.

no! whatever you do dont do this. the print can scratch or rub on the tube whether paper, plastic or anything. this is the simplest way to ruin a piece. recently i had a beat on a really nice retna print but some insufficiently_thoughtful_person rolled it backwards and there was modest ink rub. a 3000 piece now worth significantly less, i had to pass.

Looks like the tube I have is something from a mail courier. Its more cardboard. IT will just be in it for a day...not that it will matter i suppose. As far as making it home in a tube....not sure what that means but I hope no one drops you lol

Sorry not comic related and didn't know where to leave this, please don't throw stones!

Does anyone have experience getting a large 20x30 or 16x20 print signed? I am debating on leaving it in the tube and unrolling it at the table or finding a way to flatten it prior. I am mainly concerned with getting it bent, dented, or ripped. Never did this before so sorry if its a dumb question.

Any tips would be great!

Thanks!

First thing you want to do is do an exact measurement of the prints you have, while 11x17 is quite a common size, 16x20 isn't. Both Ultra-Pro and BCW make top loader semi-rigid sleeves, they generally come in 10-pack's, if you have any comic book stores in your area or sports card shops, they generally can order them from their distributors or you can go the eBay route, or possibly Amazon.

Also, paper stock helps too, the thicker the paper, the easier it is to slide in and out of the sleeve. Thinner paper can make it more difficult, but cardstock is easier to work with. The thinning the paper stock the easier it can be rolled if you go that route. Cardstock can be harder to roll and not really something I would recommend.

While you didn't ask, regarding pens to use for signatures, I really enjoy the gold and silver metallic ink Sharpie pens, but leave the cap on until it is ready to be signed, the tip can dry out quickly if the cap is off. Always let the ink dry completely before rolling it up or sliding into a sleeve, to be safe give it a good five minutes to dry just in case.

Any tips would be great!

Thanks!

First thing you want to do is do an exact measurement of the prints you have, while 11x17 is quite a common size, 16x20 isn't. Both Ultra-Pro and BCW make top loader semi-rigid sleeves, they generally come in 10-pack's, if you have any comic book stores in your area or sports card shops, they generally can order them from their distributors or you can go the eBay route, or possibly Amazon.

Also, paper stock helps too, the thicker the paper, the easier it is to slide in and out of the sleeve. Thinner paper can make it more difficult, but cardstock is easier to work with. The thinning the paper stock the easier it can be rolled if you go that route. Cardstock can be harder to roll and not really something I would recommend.

While you didn't ask, regarding pens to use for signatures, I really enjoy the gold and silver metallic ink Sharpie pens, but leave the cap on until it is ready to be signed, the tip can dry out quickly if the cap is off. Always let the ink dry completely before rolling it up or sliding into a sleeve, to be safe give it a good five minutes to dry just in case.

Top loaders are a bit of a pain in the butt to me because they are so hard to get in the damn things. I have ruined a couple 8x10s. Not a bad idea though as that would surely unroll the photo as well.

You lost me with the card stock though. Not sure how that comes unto play.

If I showed the photos could you reccomend an ink color?

Thanks!

Get the 16x20 top loader from hot flips. Run less risk of creasing. Just make sure you tape the top so water does not get in if it rains

Good idea with the tape! Is hot flips the best to order those from as their quality is better than. Ultrapro and others?

Thanks!