• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Definitive Key Comic List

81 posts in this topic

Key: A book that is worth significantly more than the issues immediately before and/or after it.

That's a useless definition because it will make some random Spider-Man appearance in a third tier title a key. Value can't make keys, but keys can make value.

Give me an example.

web of spider-man 18 very subtle first true appearance of Eddie Brock, yes its just his arm but still important, not worth very much at all. The price of a comic is relative to what people are willing to pay based on the current demand and scarcity of the book. Some books like ASM 121 and 122 have gone up and down according to the demand sometimes one is worth more then another but it doesn't change the fact that both are key issues due to the events that unfold in them.

Key: A book that is worth significantly more than the issues immediately before and/or after it.

That's a useless definition because it will make some random Spider-Man appearance in a third tier title a key. Value can't make keys, but keys can make value.

Give me an example.

web of spider-man 18 very subtle first true apperance of Eddie Brock, yes its just his arm but still important, not worth very much at all.

These sort of discussions go round and round because of subjectivity.

For instance, I'd say that is not a key.

I'd then ask Kav about Hulk 180 / 181.

Is 180 a key, or is 181 just more of a key? But then 180 doesn't adhere to the 'significantly more than the issues immediately before and/or after it' line.

a key is just an important event in the book yes IH 180 is a key and the fact that 181 is more significant is subjective but still 180 remains the first cameo of wolverine so its a key, has nothing to do with opinion its a fact, how you value the book or which is more important is up to you.

Another perfect example is ASM 360 and 361 yes 361 is worth more because its the full appearance of carnage but 360 is still a cameo which is fact not opinion, just because its almost worthless financially does not mean its not a key.

180/181 is an anomaly that has been discussed a lot. 181 is considered the key book because the market has determined that it is a key book. Therefore it is a key book-worth significantly more than the previous or following issues. Web of spiderman 18 is not a key, and not worth very much. I stick by my definition.

180/181 is an anomaly that has been discussed a lot. 181 is considered the key book because the market has determined that it is a key book. Therefore it is a key book-worth significantly more than the previous or following issues. Web of spiderman 18 is not a key, and not worth very much. I stick by my definition.

So 180 is not a key?

So 180 is not a key?

It's a minor key I guess. 181 is worth 'significantly more', and is a 'key'.

Remember my definition said 'and/or' ... because there are books that are 2 key issues in a row.

So 180 is not a key?

Remember my definition said 'and/or' ... because there are books that are 2 key issues in a row.

Minor or serious its still like you said a key right?

So 180 is not a key?

Ah, I see. I misread it originally as an AND.

Hard to really argue with it being so minimally constrained. You're stating that the market will value a key more than the previous or next issue - basically, it's a type of economic 'perfect information' statement.

So 180 is not a key?

Minor or serious its still like you said a key right?

Sure. But my definition is, like I said, still valid. Because I said 'and/or'.

Theres other examples like IH 180/181 which follow a Cameo with the full appearance like asm 299/300 and x-factor 5 and 6. How key a book is was not the point of this thread, it was to find help building a definitive key list including things like cameo's and anything important enough to mention which would make the issue a key.

So 180 is not a key?

Hard to really argue with it being so minimally constrained. You're stating that the market will value a key more than the previous or next issue - basically, it's a type of economic 'perfect information' statement.

Key books are desired. That makes people willing to spend money on them. First appearance of Speedball is not a key book. Sure it's a first appearance, but no one cares about him. Therefore it is not a key book.

If they made a Speedball movie and he became popular, then it would become a 'key book'.

First appearance of Gamera was not a key book until the Gotg movie. She wasn't important until then.

So 180 is not a key?

Key books are desired. That makes people willing to spend money on them. First appearance of Speedball is not a key book. Sure it's a first appearance, but no one cares about him. Therefore it is not a key book.

If they made a Speedball movie and he became popular, then it would become a 'key book'.

First appearance of Gamera was not a key book until the Gotg movie. She wasn't important until then.

hm

What about FF 67? Not important until Starlin (if at all), or contextually important because of the Lee & Kirby run? Or only now in a quasi-superstate of important/unimportant because of rumors and a cocoon briefly displayed in a movie? I'm so confused.

So 180 is not a key?

hm

What about FF 67? Not important until Starlin (if at all), or contextually important because of the Lee & Kirby run? Or only now in a quasi-superstate of important/unimportant because of rumors and a cocoon briefly displayed in a movie? I'm so confused.

Not a key-because it is not worth 'significantly more' than 66 or 68. Somewhat desired book yes, key no.

So 180 is not a key?

The fact that people are interested in something and it is valuable has nothing to do with the fact that its the introduction of a character and is therefor a key book. :facepalm:

Sorry first Speedball is not a key book. First Woodgod either.

So 180 is not a key?

hm

Not a key-because it is not worth 'significantly more' than 66 or 68. Desired book yes, key no.

In CGC 9.4, GPA 12 month average

FF 66 - $777

FF 67 - $1,757

FF 68 - $169

So 180 is not a key?

hm

Not a key-because it is not worth 'significantly more' than 66 or 68. Desired book yes, key no.

FF 66 - $777

FF 67 - $1,757

FF 68 - $169

In that case it is definitely a key book. I wasn't aware of those numbers.

So 180 is not a key?

hm

FF 66 - $777

FF 67 - $1,757

FF 68 - $169

In that case it is definitely a key book. I wasn't aware of those numbers.

lol

The inherent issue with your question Grayzr is highlighted by the list above and Lazyboy's response... There isn't really a definitive list of Keys. And possibly the definition of a key...

I'd be really interested in reading how people define "key".

It's that metal thing I use to lock my door.