• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Definitive Key Comic List

81 posts in this topic

Key: A book that is worth significantly more than the issues immediately before and/or after it.

That's a useless definition because it will make some random Spider-Man appearance in a third tier title a key. Value can't make keys, but keys can make value.

Give me an example.

Most of the modern variants that sell for $1000 or more. See the Dell'Otto thread in the modern section for some examples. The sell for a huge amount of money, because of rarity, not because they are keys.

Another example, the Vader Down #1 Zdarsky black and white variant. Not a key, but sells for $2000+.

Are you talking about some specific grade where that is true? I just ebayed and saw it wasn't particularly valuable. You can get it for $15 in high grade raw. Vs $3 for 17 and 19. I wouldn't call that 'significant'. If you're going to use specific grades for your examples that's another matter and is sorta data picking. Conversely, if one book sells for a dollar and another for $10, that might be 'ten times as much', but it is not 'significant'. Nine dollars is not significant.

Percentages matter much more than absolute dollars in a comparison like this. Otherwise, I'm going with only Action 1 and 'Tec 27 are keys because nothing else comes close to the dollar difference between those two issues and their surrounding issues.

So a book that is 1000% higher than the previous issue at a whopping $10 where previous issue sells for $1 is a 'key'?

That seems weird.

No, price still doesn't make keys, but when using your ridiculous definition, you have to strongly consider percentages or it's even more worthless.

By the way, $10 is 900% higher than $1.

The way some are defining key, Youngblood #1 is a key issue. In fact most every book is a key issue because they all have a first something. Because they are not just the same story being reprinted over and over. There is just no way Youngblood #1 is a key issue.

There are very, very few runs of any significant length where a credible argument can be made that the majority of the issues are keys. How big any of those keys are is another story.

Not all keys are equal and time can change their significance.

A key is any book you have multiples of that you want to unload at some point.

A key is any book you have multiples of that you want to unload at some point.

That does appeal to the jaded cynic in me.

So if 3 people want to own Youngblood #4 it's a key.

No, if undefined percentages of people in the community want it, it's a key.

(I'm not sure if we're being serious here or not.)

Question: If someone wants a book they know nothing about, why do they want it?

How does the book get more expensive than books immediately before and/or after it?

The comments in the thread are pretty much what I expected. hm

A book with a character intro/death

A book or multiple books with a significant story arc or cover that has become iconic

This is really interesting grayzr, because the whole concept is so subjective... even to the point of where we are discussing it... The CGC boards are the perfect environment for people who are far more aware of the importance of particular issues and their value, whether their motivation is to own or to profit.

So, I think of a key as a book that has some form of impact that changes things from that point on. Often this is a first app of a character(s) or event(s) occurring to a character(s).

The concept of an iconic / classic cover is a really interesting point. Based on (what is now known as) Kav's Rule, a classic cover is a key book if it is worth more than the book that immediately precedes it or follows it.

I'm a Batfan, so for me:

- Detective Comics #27 - Key (1st app - Batman)

- Batman #1 - Key (1st app - Joker, Catwoman)

- Batman #232 - Key (1st app - Ra's Al Ghul)

- Batman #251 - Classic Cover

- Batman #227 - Classic Cover

I'm really unsure about the classic cover being a key. Definitely desirable, definitely worth more, definitely a beautiful thing to own... but the cover alone doesn't change things from that point on... So, is it a key?

Is it completely worthless even discussing this as "keys" are not universally recognised? Some are widely agreed, but not all are universally

PS. @RMA - lol.

How does the book get more expensive than books immediately before and/or after it?

Long standing demand or a movie or a character becomes popular enough eg harlie quinn. Or hype. 'It's a modern variant 1:10 special edition artist authorized gold foil premium.' Yeah I suspect those type of 'keys' will not retain key status in the long run.

Long standing demand or a movie or a character becomes popular enough eg harlie quinn. Or hype. 'It's a modern variant 1:10 special edition artist authorized gold foil premium.' Yeah I suspect those type of 'keys' will not retain key status in the long run.

Right.

As I mentioned before it's an idea that relies on the economic perfect information concept. As an entity, the comic buying community will know which books are desirable, and over time, will seek out those key books more fervently and in greater numbers, thus increasing the cost of said book based in some way on supply and demand.

Your theory is the cost side, my somewhat joking addition is the supply side.

Similar question to: 'what is art'? Is it art because people pay big bucks for it if so, why did people start paying big bucks for it?

I can answer this. Because it is "hot" or someone else wants it. Seriously, that about sums up some of the rises and falls of modern comics the last couple of years. There are people who do nothing but buy books other people think are "hot" without a care for what the book is about.