• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spinner Racks

65 posts in this topic

I don't think anyone knows an exact year or month when the HEY KIDS COMICS! racks came out, but pocket width tells part of the story period for each. There are two in my collection which have similar bases, but upon closer inspection, the rack is different. Owning 4 different versions of these, I believe the period of each is marginally different for the reason that these were very likely produced by more than one manufacturer over the 10 or 15 years they were made. The rarest version for each of these COMICS or HEY KIDS COMICS! racks are the standalone (non-spinner racks). These I believe were made by a different manufacturer than the maker of the spinner racks.

Pictured below is what I believe to be a mid-sixties HEY KIDS COMICS! rack with a base I have not been able to see on any other rack of it's kind. It is definitely accurate to the rack and not something substituted or to replace a base that went missing. This base may have been a custom order from the manufacturer for tip-over concern by a retailer whose target market was younger kids - there is no way this spinner could be tipped.

comic_rack_border_sized.jpg

Great info, thanks! During the early to mid seventies I seem to remember the Archie, Spidey, RR and Supes spinner more than the Hey Kids version. I'm assuming production of both may have overlapped but would you say the Hey Kids is the older design?

Great info, thanks! During the early to mid seventies I seem to remember the Archie, Spidey, RR and Supes spinner more than the Hey Kids version. I'm assuming production of both may have overlapped but would you say the Hey Kids is the older design?

Yes, I remembered the 4-side spinner rack with Archie,Superman,Spider-Man and Richie Rich character faces. They come out later sometimes after mid-70s, possibly closer to late '70s. Many stores in my youth days had replaced their older racks in Vancouver. By 1980 rolls around, they become quite common up to 1995 then faded away. The last spinner rack!

The "HEY KIDS!" Spinner rack was the most well known all over USA and Canada for a long time. I think it is the longest time in use.

I don't think anyone knows an exact year or month when the HEY KIDS COMICS! racks came out, but pocket width tells part of the story period for each. There are two in my collection which have similar bases, but upon closer inspection, the rack is different. Owning 4 different versions of these, I believe the period of each is marginally different for the reason that these were very likely produced by more than one manufacturer over the 10 or 15 years they were made. The rarest version for each of these COMICS or HEY KIDS COMICS! racks are the standalone (non-spinner racks). These I believe were made by a different manufacturer than the maker of the spinner racks.

Pictured below is what I believe to be a mid-sixties HEY KIDS COMICS! rack with a base I have not been able to see on any other rack of it's kind. It is definitely accurate to the rack and not something substituted or to replace a base that went missing. This base may have been a custom order from the manufacturer for tip-over concern by a retailer whose target market was younger kids - there is no way this spinner could be tipped.

Thanks comicwiz, for sharing the info and photo. From what I read yours, two questions come up on my mind.

Who was the manufacturer of the "HEY KIDS!" spinner racks?

We need the name of the company and I am sure there has to be some surviving (if anyone still alive?) employees of this company somewhere to tell us about these racks. And there has to be some sort of records contained with info somewhere. If any employee is alive still, they would be in their 60+ to 70+ age now.

And did the manufacturer have a catalog for store businesses for them to look at store equipment to order for their store to furnish their goods to sell? That would be a good way to find out the date and see what else might had made.

Next question is about the bases. Did the manufacturer sub-contract other manufacturer(s) to supply the bases to their spinner racks? Or did the manufacturer made their own? That is what we need know. How many different bases during the years made?

Comicwiz, you said you have 2 racks with same bases. How many different bases have you seen since to now? I had seen up to 6-7 different bases with the "HEY KIDS!" rack over the years since. My local LCS have 2 racks with 2 different bases, one is the earlier version and other is the later version. I should take photos next time I am there.

Sorry for the long rumbling here :foryou:

Thanks comicwiz, for sharing the info and photo. From what I read yours, two questions come up on my mind.

Who was the manufacturer of the "HEY KIDS!" spinner racks?

We need the name of the company and I am sure there has to be some surviving (if anyone still alive?) employees of this company somewhere to tell us about these racks. And there has to be some sort of records contained with info somewhere. If any employee is alive still, they would be in their 60+ to 70+ age now.

And did the manufacturer have a catalog for store businesses for them to look at store equipment to order for their store to furnish their goods to sell? That would be a good way to find out the date and see what else might had made.

Next question is about the bases. Did the manufacturer sub-contract other manufacturer(s) to supply the bases to their spinner racks? Or did the manufacturer made their own? That is what we need know. How many different bases during the years made?

Comicwiz, you said you have 2 racks with same bases. How many different bases have you seen since to now? I had seen up to 6-7 different bases with the "HEY KIDS!" rack over the years since. My local LCS have 2 racks with 2 different bases, one is the earlier version and other is the later version. I should take photos next time I am there.

Sorry for the long rumbling here :foryou:

I have one of those racks as well and mine has an altogether different base. (Think it's pictured here already, it's the one with the 4 legs.) Mine fits silverage comics comfortably. I suspect it is 60s vintage, but maybe 70s I spose.