• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st Scooby Doo in comics?

48 posts in this topic

When DD 115 and Thor 229 have their labels changed, then I'll buy in to this Scooby-Doo thing.

Why would DD 115 and Thor 229 have their labels changed? How would the labels be changed?

It still counts as THE first appearance or appearances(if in more then one issue), large 1 panel of Scooby and the gang and it should be noted on future labels as pre-dating Scooby Doo 1. The first issue CGC label states its the FIRST appearance in comics and that's obviously incorrect.

So its not the champ. Every day we find out something currently noted or accepted is wrong.

IT'S A :censored: AD!

Ads are not appearances, they're ads.

When DD 115 and Thor 229 have their labels changed, then I'll buy in to this Scooby-Doo thing.

Why would DD 115 and Thor 229 have their labels changed? How would the labels be changed?

Along with Marvel Premiere 19, the label should read

"First appearance of Wolverine in a house ad."

Agree, it's relevant to Wolverine collectors. CGC does this often, night as well start getting it right

For Example......Strange tales 119 CGC label says :

"Spider-Man cameo , full page ad Avengers #4"

does this make that the first appearance of Cap in the Silver age? That's for the individual to decide but the Completionist should be aware of what's out there

You've got to be kidding. CGC doesn't really put that on MP 19 labels, do they?

Wolverine's first appearance, regardless of being a lame single panel, is Hulk 180. The ads for Hulk 181 only predate Hulk 181.

Agree, it's relevant to Wolverine collectors. CGC does this often, night as well start getting it right

For Example......Strange tales 119 CGC label says :

"Spider-Man cameo , full page ad Avengers #4"

does this make that the first appearance of Cap in the Silver age? That's for the individual to decide but the Completionist should be aware of what's out there

If you're relying on CGC labels to give you random details about the non-story contents of a comic that may or may not be relevant to you, you've already lost. You might as well just quit collecting.

To my knowledge, fandom has never put an emphasis or importance on ads. They've never been relevant either from a completionist standpoint or from a 1st appearance standpoint. Don't see why these things need to be noted.

To my knowledge, fandom has never put an emphasis or importance on ads. They've never been relevant either from a completionist standpoint or from a 1st appearance standpoint. Don't see why these things need to be noted.

Some people will always grope for some sizzle when they don't have steak to sell.

(shrug)

Detective comics 26 1939..... label reads

Full page ad for Movie Comics #1 and All American Comics #1,.Text only banner for "the Batman" appearing next issue

that enough sizzle for ya?

That information falls somewhere between irrelevant and yawn-inducing for me.

I just don't like this trend of Ads qualifying as "first appearances". It's not for me.

There is no trend of ads qualifying as first appearances.

There are people who have some books to sell who are noting that there are ads in them of comic characters who have not yet appeared in a comic story, that's all.

I just don't like this trend of Ads qualifying as "first appearances". It's not for me.

There is no trend of ads qualifying as first appearances.

There are people who have some books to sell who are noting that there are ads in them of comic characters who have not yet appeared in a comic story, that's all.

This. And wth, you can't really fault an honest approach. ;)

Some people will always grope for some sizzle when they don't have steak to sell.

(shrug)

this - I don't value ads at all, but if collectors want to buy them . . . . (shrug)

(shrug)

Because: money.

These kids need to be beaten soundly with a stick before they permanently alter decades of consensus about ads and other promotional material and their place in comics history.

Yes, it's neato if a character appears in an ad. But comic books is a story telling artform, and characters need to appear in that context to be a genuine appearance.

House ads are great. I love them. I think it's a very good thing they get noticed on the CGC labels as they do at times enhance a books value as a kind of added bonus. This is all the more true if it happens to be a key book.

I've always had a soft spot for Fantastic Four #13. Cool moon cover, first Watcher and Red Ghost. Great comic. It also happens to have house ads for Spider-man #1 and Tales of Suspense #39. Awesome! Still no one is suggesting it's the first appearance of Iron-Man although it does proceed TOS #39. Superman, Batman and many others are in the same boat but collectors still consider Action #1 and Tec #27 their first "true" appearances in comics.

So while house ads are really cool they are still usually just static images of the upcoming cover or a static shot of the character. Hardly the same as the full introduction of the characters in their key books. Hell even real short intro.s in books like Wolverine in Hulk #180 (which is his first appearance) doesn't stop Hulk #181 with his full appearance and cover from eclipsing #180 as the more important key.

So should those fall Saturday morning cartoon ads with Scooby in them be noted by CGC the same as house ads? Maybe. I suppose if enough collectors cried out with interest.

One thing to keep in mind too where as most house ads are limited to usually just a few different comics those fall Saturday morning cartoon ads were in a entire months line of comics meaning there would be a lot of comics carrying that note on the CGC labels if they started doing so.

I was aware of the ad for years and like the rest of those old cartoon ads they are a joy to look at. I still have not acquired bootleg copies of the old Hot Wheels or Hardy Boys cartoon series either which I was reminded of while looking at those old ads again. :(

FTFY.