• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: Catwoman 51

15 posts in this topic

Hello, I am about to buy a catwoman 51. However, it is essentially new but the only imperfection is at the bottom below the date. The corners are sharp. There are no spine defects. The only issues is the very bottom has some imperfections that the seller thinks are from the manufacturer.

How would you all grade it. Everything else is immaculate. For some reason, I can't embed photo.

sybcex.jpg

I'm surprised nobody else on the Boards helped us out here. Yes, IMO, that looks like an impact ding. I can see a vertical crease. You can probably tell better in hand if the crease breaks color. Also, you should be able to see if it affects the inside pages. Since the crease is so straight it looks like somebody dropped another book in a bag and board on this spot ? It just doesn't look bindery. IMO, 9.0, 9.2 tops . Sorry.

Bob, what are you looking at?

I see two separate problems, both look like the book has a vertical line with horizontal lines radiating off it.

This area of CW #51 is solid black.

(Sorry for the bad phone pic, plus mines slabbed)

large.jpg

There's the same mark to the right, in line with the edge of the price box, just outside it.

Yes, you are correct. It's possible it's a bindery problem but I don't see it on my copy ? The only way it would grade high is if CGC views it as bindery. IMO, bindery or not, the damage is still there.

There's the same mark to the right, in line with the edge of the price box, just outside it.

Yes, you are correct. It's possible it's a bindery problem but I don't see it on my copy ? The only way it would grade high is if CGC views it as bindery. IMO, bindery or not, the damage is still there.

Agreed, I'd buy a copy without personally, production related or not.

So you would buy the copy even with that imperfection or do you mean you would NOT buy this copy? Btw, what do you mean by bindery? Sorry I'm a noob.
That's just my opinion, personally I'd pass on a book with such an obvious problem, even if a third party grader doesn't hold it against the technical grade, because there are other copy's without it.

What he means by 'Bindery', is CGC doesn't downgrade for a defect caused during the production of a book.

Examples are ASM 361 has holes in the back cover from the printing equipment, larger books like ASM 1 vol 2 have tears at the bottom of the spine, because the book is so fat. That sort of thing.