• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bets and Predictions for the press release!!

299 posts in this topic

This is what they were telling people yesterday.

So, unless they are being untruthful, it sounds like the big announcement is that they fixed the case a month ago, which is what they announced in the "New Case" thread back on 5/20 before they deleted it.

Hopefully that's not the announcement, because we've already seen books reholdered after the 5/20 "fix" that are just as bad.

It's not.

What makes you say this.........do you have an inside scoop on the announcement?

I certainly hope you are correct since we need a real permanent fix which would be good for all parties involved. :wishluck:

Good thing that's exactly what they announced, then.

This is what they were telling people yesterday.

So, unless they are being untruthful, it sounds like the big announcement is that they fixed the case a month ago, which is what they announced in the "New Case" thread back on 5/20 before they deleted it.

Hopefully that's not the announcement, because we've already seen books reholdered after the 5/20 "fix" that are just as bad.

It's not.

What makes you say this.........do you have an inside scoop on the announcement?

I certainly hope you are correct since we need a real permanent fix which would be good for all parties involved. :wishluck:

Good thing that's exactly what they announced, then.

Are you sure?

Are they using Barex? If not what?

Where did they get Barex?

How long will the Barex supply last since the company doesn't produce it anymore?

if not what testing has been done on the new inner well plastic?

Are they using the old style case with the new type of plastic or are they using the new case style with a well?

Does the new case require pressure?

Does the new case produce newton rings?

What testing has been done with this style?

CGC introduces a new case and everyone goes :whee:

Case has flaws, CGC attempts a fix and people go :frustrated:

CGC goes ahead and addresses the problem head on and people are still :baiting:

You can't please everyone I'm sure.

CGC introduces a new case and everyone goes :whee:

Case has flaws, CGC attempts a fix and people go :frustrated:

CGC goes ahead and addresses the problem head on and people are still :baiting:

You can't please everyone I'm sure.

probably because few, if any, have seen the new case and don't know if the problems have been solved. hoping like heck they've got it figured out.

Are you sure?

How long will the Barex supply last since the company doesn't produce it anymore?

Are they using the old style case with the new type of plastic or are they using the new case style with a well?

F0bW8g.jpg

But until we see the new cases and learn how the books inside fare over time, it's pretty hard to just to take anyone's word for it.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to have some skepticism given what we've seen over the last two months.

Are you sure?

F0bW8g.jpg

But until we see the new cases and learn how the books inside fare over time, it's pretty hard to just to take anyone's word for it.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to have some skepticism given what we've seen over the last two months.

Sure. But is it reasonable to expect that CGC will go into super-specific details in regards to their Barex supply? And what if they've switched to a new plastic for the inner holder - does it matter which plastic it is as long as it's archival-safe? :shrug:

This is exactly what people have been clamoring for - a new outer case with the old inner well. No waves, no more of those awful newton rings = best of both worlds.

Are you sure?

F0bW8g.jpg

Sure. But is it reasonable to expect that CGC will go into super-specific details in regards to their Barex supply? And what if they've switched to a new plastic for the inner holder - does it matter which plastic it is as long as it's archival-safe? :shrug:

This is exactly what people have been clamoring for - a new outer case with the old inner well. No waves, no more of those awful newton rings = best of both worlds.

No matter what, there are going to be skeptics for awhile. I do think this announcement will prevent a lot of people on the fence from sending subs off to the other place. At least for now.

Are you sure?

F0bW8g.jpg

Oh I agree its the best of both worlds if its what is described above and will DO what its suppose to do.

Do we care? Yup seeing as how many were told that it wasn't available anymore. The books that have been coming back have been in old cases and old wells much against what was posted by CGC today... so shall we be guinea pigs for the next 3 months? I would prefer not which is why the vague post by CGC needs more information.

If it wasn't for speculations and theories they would have never changed the case to begin with.

Remember they blamed these forums and their competition for their woes. If they could have gotten away with making all submissions wavy, they would have. Period.

Someone got smart and realized the finance of the price of making a fix compared to the price of losing submissions. That is the only reason a fix was made.

Are you sure?

F0bW8g.jpg

The big question here is, are they moving forward with a plastic that IS archival safe? They've already made cases that damage books, their integrity for the safety of books has now be compromised so people are going to question it for a time. The deletion of threads dedicated to the preservation of books only compounded the inability to trust them. It's going to take time to earn that trust back, and the next few months is going to decide that.

I'll agree with greggy in that someone needs to be sacked. Someone thought it was a good idea to push it to the limit to promote the new cases. Someone decided to delete threads. Someone decided that damage control was to keep people in the dark. Someone has some pretty crappy business ethics.

You just shared some information which definitely wasn't clear in CGC's statement.

So the inner wells are still Barex? That wasn't specified in Brittany's post. She mentioned the inner well concept but not that it's the same material as the old wells. And that's a reasonable question to have especially since it's been pretty common knowledge that the Barex supplier closed down that part of their business.

And if it's not Barex, it does matter which plastic CGC is using. They've never been shy about sharing that information previously. And for good reason. Many very expensive books will be residing inside those cases for many years. Any knowledgeable, serious collector wants to know how his or her books are being stored and protected. You may be ok with the "take our word for it" stance. But based on your recent posts, I'm sure you know anyhow.

Also, how are we to know that the inner wells fit in the new case? And if it doesn't, how were new outer cases manufactured so quickly? Especially since Matt told buttock (Dan) that a redesign would take 18 months. I would think an inner well would take up more room in a case than two sheets of mylar. So is it the same outer case that CGC has been using since April 4th? It would be good to know these things since we know the case was creating the "wavy appearance".

And no Newton rings? That wasn't mentioned in Brittany's post either. If that's true, and I hope it is, halle-freaking-lujah!

And if we're talking about being reasonable, can you really expect everyone just to drop any and all skepticism just because CGC made a statement? They've made other statements over the last two months and we've seen what's happened since.

All that said, I am happy and relieved that CGC has reached this point and punted on the new case's pressure design. I'm sure they started out with good intentions before it went sideways.

Like I've written over and over again in threads that are no longer with us (bless their souls), I'd like to keep buying CGC books and submitting myself, but I'd like to know just what I'm getting first. Personally, I think that's very reasonable.

You just shared some information which definitely wasn't clear in CGC's statement.

So the inner wells are still Barex? That wasn't specified in Brittany's post. She mentioned the inner well concept but not that it's the same material as the old wells. And that's a reasonable question to have especially since it's been pretty common knowledge that the Barex supplier closed down that part of their business.

And if it's not Barex, it does matter which plastic CGC is using. They've never been shy about sharing that information previously. And for good reason. Many very expensive books will be residing inside those cases for many years. Any knowledgeable, serious collector wants to know how his or her books are being stored and protected. You may be ok with the "take our word for it" stance. But based on your recent posts, I'm sure you know anyhow.

Also, how are we to know that the inner wells fit in the new case? And if it doesn't, how were new outer cases manufactured so quickly? Especially since Matt told buttock (Dan) that a redesign would take 18 months. I would think an inner well would take up more room in a case than two sheets of mylar. So is it the same outer case that CGC has been using since April 4th? It would be good to know these things since we know the case was creating the "wavy appearance".

And no Newton rings? That wasn't mentioned in Brittany's post either. If that's true, and I hope it is, halle-freaking-lujah!

And if we're talking about being reasonable, can you really expect everyone just to drop any and all skepticism just because CGC made a statement? They've made other statements over the last two months and we've seen what's happened since.

All that said, I am happy and relieved that CGC has reached this point and punted on the new case's pressure design. I'm sure they started out with good intentions before it went sideways.

Like I've written over and over again in threads that are no longer with us (bless their souls), I'd like to keep buying CGC books and submitting myself, but I'd like to know just what I'm getting first. Personally, I think that's very reasonable.

Sorry - I don't really know more than what CGC has posted; I'm simply extrapolating based on what they said :shrug:

However, in order for CGC to make this change so fast, they've obviously figured out a way to reuse the old Barex inner wells inside the new outer case. I don't know if you've cracked a new case yet, but I have and the old inner holder fits inside it just fine if you slice off the top part where the label usually sits. Try it for yourself and you'll see.

Unless something has changed in regards to Barex manufacturing, that's not viable as a long-term solution, though - which is why I'm speculating that CGC will probably switch to a new plastic for the inner well. I get that CGC's terrible handling of the new case situation has made people skeptical of anything they do, but, quite frankly, thinking that they would use non-archival safe materials for an inner holder is insane.

Lastly - in regards to the newton rings; the pressured floating mylar sheets are what's causing them in the new cases. Considering that element has now been removed, why shouldn't be able to assume that the newton ring issue is now gone?

Anyway, we'll know for sure soon enough when people start getting their books back in the new-new-old cases :thumbsup:

No, I'm not suggesting that CGC would use non-archival materials for the well. But given the issues we saw with the new holder and CGC's responses, my antenna is definitely raised. And I'll be wary until I learn more and see how the the new-new design works over time.

And we've all seen problems with inner wells like the puddling. We've also seen some weird things with the mylar sheets in the not so dearly departed new cases. And that was outside of the waves. Even if none of these things had occurred, I'd still want to know just how my books are being stored and if they're susceptible to any problems down the road. When doctors prescribe medication for me, I ask what it is and what it does. This isn't all that different. It's just common sense.

And with the Newton rings, wouldn't any two flat, transparent surfaces pressed together be susceptible? If the case is the same, and the sealing method is the same, I don't know how you can assume there won't be Newton rings. Maybe there's a way to leave more room in the case? If mylar was be pressured into the outer shell, wouldn't the barex wells too? Do you know if CGC is actually using the same cases without any changes?

I'd love to hear they are using the new plastic in the old case design, with an inner well made out of something other than barex

Basically bringing the new case clarity to the old case design

Doesn't look that way yet.

All of Dre's new books that are coming back in the old case are also using the old label and far as I can tell old plastic

And it happened

Save your speculations and theories for later. Have patience and wait and see what happens.

After the way the new case was handled, you expect people to swallow the pill with very little information this time around?

That is just crazy... As the saying goes, I've got a bridge I'd imagine you'd be ecstatic to buy.

However, in order for CGC to make this change so fast, they've obviously figured out a way to reuse the old Barex inner wells inside the new outer case. I don't know if you've cracked a new case yet, but I have and the old inner holder fits inside it just fine if you slice off the top part where the label usually sits.

I think the concern is about the depth. The distance between the inner surfaces of the front and back of the case. Not the left to right and top to bottom. The old barex inner wells were considerably thicker than the Mylar sheets being used in the new holder. There is no way the book and a barex inner well are sitting inside the same case without even more pressure on the book. Seems that would still create Newton rings as well. I'd think the outer case, or possibly just the front or back of it, would have to be redesigned to accommodate everything (without pressure).

Also, can the new inner well be barex and CGC make the claim of new clarity?

However, in order for CGC to make this change so fast, they've obviously figured out a way to reuse the old Barex inner wells inside the new outer case. I don't know if you've cracked a new case yet, but I have and the old inner holder fits inside it just fine if you slice off the top part where the label usually sits.

I think the concern is about the depth. The distance between the inner surfaces of the front and back of the case. Not the left to right and top to bottom. The old barex inner wells were considerably thicker than the Mylar sheets being used in the new holder. There is no way the book and a barex inner well are sitting inside the same case without even more pressure on the book. Seems that would still create Newton rings as well. I'd think the outer case, or possibly just the front or back of it, would have to be redesigned to accommodate everything (without pressure).

Also, can the new inner well be barex and CGC make the claim of new clarity?

If I had to guess, I'd say they remolded the back of the case (or modified the mold for the back half of the previous case) to match the front half of the new case and are using a modified version of the old inner well that fits inside the new case design - that's just a guess based on everything we've heard since yesterday.

I'd also guess that they will probably seal it the new way, making the new case difficult to open.

It's all conjecture until we see some real examples.