• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If only Art was a little faster...

31 posts in this topic

It baffles me that people nowadays dont know how influential Art Adams is on our industry.

It is my opinion (just for the sake of being less argumentative) that if it wasnt for Art, mainstream comics wouldnt look the way they do today.

You HAD to collect comics in the 80s to know this - Art Adams was a thing of beauty, rarity, and extremely influential on all the big names of today. Liefeld, JSC, Mcfarlane, Lee... And many others, they all went from brush to rapidograph, all because Art made it the standard.

I created this thread awhile ago based on that. It wont matter because Art was swallowed in an ocean of imitators which took his style and made it the standard.

Here's a nice piece that was written about Art not too long ago:

http://www.comicsbeat.com/kibbles-n-bits-6916-this-arthur-adams-avengers-piece-will-blow-your-mind/

Art Adams is a very important artist in comics history. Although he was much influenced by Mike Golden, it’s Adams highly detailed, fine-lined art that formed the inspiration for most of the original Image artists, including Jim Lee and Rob Liefeld. They, in turn, produced hordes of imitators, and Lee’s smoothly proportioned, heroically posed art remains the DC house style to this day. So, in a way Art Adams is the father of modern superhero comics, which some people might think a punishable offense

I know that this wont make the kids nowadays change their minds on "who came first" we all like what we like. But this just serves as yet another document of history to correct the facts about one of our biggest and most influential artists who never really gotten the proper credit he deserves.

So, it's his fault?

It baffles me that people nowadays dont know how influential Art Adams is on our industry.

It is my opinion (just for the sake of being less argumentative) that if it wasnt for Art, mainstream comics wouldnt look the way they do today.

You HAD to collect comics in the 80s to know this - Art Adams was a thing of beauty, rarity, and extremely influential on all the big names of today. Liefeld, JSC, Mcfarlane, Lee... And many others, they all went from brush to rapidograph, all because Art made it the standard.

I created this thread awhile ago based on that. It wont matter because Art was swallowed in an ocean of imitators which took his style and made it the standard.

Here's a nice piece that was written about Art not too long ago:

http://www.comicsbeat.com/kibbles-n-bits-6916-this-arthur-adams-avengers-piece-will-blow-your-mind/

Art Adams is a very important artist in comics history. Although he was much influenced by Mike Golden, it’s Adams highly detailed, fine-lined art that formed the inspiration for most of the original Image artists, including Jim Lee and Rob Liefeld. They, in turn, produced hordes of imitators, and Lee’s smoothly proportioned, heroically posed art remains the DC house style to this day. So, in a way Art Adams is the father of modern superhero comics, which some people might think a punishable offense

I know that this wont make the kids nowadays change their minds on "who came first" we all like what we like. But this just serves as yet another document of history to correct the facts about one of our biggest and most influential artists who never really gotten the proper credit he deserves.

So, it's his fault?

http://geniusboyfiremelon.blogspot.com/2008/01/dont-you-know-its-all-art-adamss-fault.html

Snapped these photos earlier, but forgot to post. lol Here's the prelim art along with a couple others of Art's X-men work.

kafC7m.jpg

4x2Evj.jpg

yEVizo.jpg

These are AMAZING!

I never saw the cover w X-Factor/Apoc prior to posting this, so to have a prelim for this is truly rare! Congrats to you!

The others are:

Interior f/c work for Classic X-Men #13

cover sketch for Classic X-Men #1 before it was sent to Romita Sr to show Art how to fix his composition:

http://unpublishedxmen.blogspot.com/2012/12/classic-x-men-week-art-adams.html

Oh man. Very cool of you to post this. Although I may now spend way too much time looking at that site. lol

A couple of years back a buddy of mine came up to me at a show and said "Hey look at this New FF prelim I bought from Art Adams!" I was like "Take me to him". 20 minutes later I had bought every piece of art he had with him. I think it ended up being around 40 pieces if memory serves. Thanks again for the info!

Oh man. Very cool of you to post this. Although I may now spend way too much time looking at that site. lol

A couple of years back a buddy of mine came up to me at a show and said "Hey look at this New FF prelim I bought from Art Adams!" I was like "Take me to him". 20 minutes later I had bought every piece of art he had with him. I think it ended up being around 40 pieces if memory serves. Thanks again for the info!

jawdrop.gif

The art is dated 9/86 and X-Factor 6 is cover dated 7/86 and would have been on sale around 4/86.

Yes. As noted, this was a special piece for the Overstreet Update. and never intended for X-Factor #6, cool as that may have been.