• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Downside to pressing? But not a pressing debate.

60 posts in this topic

This is not to start a press or not press debate.

I have several modern books that are high to very high grade. Many have been in my personal collection since I bought them off of the rack many years ago. I am fully aware that small color breaking defects will not be corrected by pressing, as well as what can and can't be pressed out. I want to get them graded, and was debating on pressing them or not. I think some would benefit from a press, but not become perfect. So in general how reliable is pressing in increasing the grade of your average VF or higher books? What are the potential drawbacks? Can pressing (yes I would use a know reliable person), hurt the grade if it is done properly?

Thanks

If the books are high grade, you may get a bump by one grade (say 9.6 to 9.8) if the defects are small and don't break color. I usually go for 9.8's, so if I have a doubt about a book, it gets pressed.

One problem I've had with pressing is that occasionally it can push the top front cover slightly to the left. This will cause the top right edge of the book to fan out and show more of the white inner pages, and it will decrease in an angle going toward the bottom right corner of the book. You often see this in older books that haven't been pressed, but not in moderns.

Overall, I'm a fan of pressing. I've got a lot of 9.8's that way.

Most are easy 9.4's or better that I purchased new, but have been in a box many years. So just looking to get rid of storage rolling, impressions etc. Some have a few minor defects with maybe a minor color break here or there. I am not expecting to get 9.8 from them but looking to take a low 9 or even a 8.5 up 1 or 2 grades.

I have several modern books that are high to very high [/b]grade. Many have been in my personal collection since I bought them off of the rack many years ago. I am fully aware that small color breaking defects will not be corrected by pressing, as well as what can and can't be pressed out. I want to get them graded, and was debating on pressing them or not. I think some would benefit from a press, but not become perfect. So in general how reliable is pressing in increasing the grade of your average VF or higher books? What are the potential drawbacks? Can pressing (yes I would use a know reliable person), hurt the grade if it is done properly?

Thanks

I press my own books before subbing them, have been dry cleaning books for about 4 years, started pressing a bit more than 2 years ago.

It took me a solid year of pressing to really know what I'm doing, it takes a lot of patience and working with paper in a learning experience.I believe that even the most experienced pressers are constantly honing their techniques and improving.

That said, I am not looking to take on any pressing work, I have my hands full with my own books....just posting up the above to give you an idea of where I'm coming from....and I love hearing myself blather on endlessly, when I have about 250 SA/BA books that I need to prep for new stock additions at a show on Saturday & Sunday...ugh. :insane:

My pedantic musings aside, I'm responding to the bolded areas below.

Effing hell yes.Have all of your moderns pressed.

Here is what I suggest doing:

Look up the price points for 9.6 and 9.8 sales in GPA.The difference is usually 200%.

If you are a good/experienced grader and are familiar with what CGC (or the other guys) looks for, you should be able to make (fairly) accurate pre-screens, yourself....when in doubt (especially in 9.6/9.8 candidates) have the book pre-screened before grading.If it doesn't get a 9.8, ask them to call you after the book is pre-screened.Then have the book sent to CCS for pressing.

There is no "general" summation of getting grade bumps from 8.0 via pressing, there are so many variables with paper based items to generalize things without grossly misstating the facts.

It is possible to damage books by improper pressing, I have done so myself.Most improperly pressed books are due no/half arsed humidification performed, and either too much heat or pressure.

The latter two result in damages that can be corrected, I have re-pressed/corrected my own improperly pressed books several times.

A lack of humidification results in reversion, nearly 100% of the time.

Paper has a very strong memory, it needs to be relaxed and pliable before being pressed.

Other than that, the damage that skipping humidification (or half arseing humidification) is pretty self explanatory.If you have non color breaking spine ticks and the paper is not humidified before being pressed, the pressure will not be able to spread out evenly when the press is shut and the apex of the spine ticks will receive uneven force, causing the NCB ticks to break color.That is an example, my wording probably could have been a lot better.

I press my own books before subbing them, have been dry cleaning books for about 4 years, started pressing a bit more than 2 years ago.

It took me a solid year of pressing to really know what I'm doing, it takes a lot of patience and working with paper in a learning experience.I believe that even the most experienced pressers are constantly honing their techniques and improving.

That said, I am not looking to take on any pressing work, I have my hands full with my own books....just posting up the above to give you an idea of where I'm coming from....

hm

I am not looking to take on any pressing work.

That said, I am not looking to take on any pressing work, I have my hands full with my own books....just posting up the above to give you an idea of where I'm coming from....

hm

I am not looking to take on any pressing work.

Eh, come on now.Semantics much?

There is a difference between looking for regular clients for pressing work and offering to press a small amount of books onsite at a 2 day convention.

By small amount, I mean just what I posted in that link.

No more than 8 books, grand total for that show.

I figured since CGC and the other guys will be set up taking subs on both days....if I am stuck in a hotel room over night, I might as well make the best use of my time.

and I thought CCS was high for their pressing charges.

The turn around time I am offering is less than 24 hours.

CAK...your prices are crazy, and you're only pressing 8 books...?

Come on, now....

:roflmao:

What happens if the press requires more than one session to ensure it doesn't revert back?

That's just the turnaround time for the pressing. The books, at the buyer's expense, still have to be shipped to CGC. At least with CCS the books are onsite. I'm calling you out as one greedy individual. You should be ashamed of yourself.

That's just the turnaround time for the pressing. The books, at the buyer's expense, still have to be shipped to CGC. At least with CCS the books are onsite. I'm calling you out as one greedy individual. You should be ashamed of yourself.

wool-over-eyes1.jpg

CAK...your prices are crazy, and you're only pressing 8 books...?

Come on, now....

I recall you posting earlier, in another thread, that you won't touch anyone's books for less than $50 (or it might have been $60).You cited numerous reasons, the gist of them being that most people do not grasp just how much effort is needed to properly and effectively press books, they need to realize that there is much more involved than fifteen bucks worth of labor.I agree with what you posted earlier.

How much would you charge, if you were to offer a turn around time of less than 24 hours?

I am not talking about spritzing a book with an iron and slapping it into a press for 2 minutes, then flipping it over like it was a pancake....and then taking it out and letting it "set" under whatever 50 or 100 pounds worth of weight that happens to be lying around.....or whatever is the norm for the onslaught of dolts that I see hawking pressing on various comic sites/Facebook comic groups for the cost of a medium pizza from Domino's :whatev:

If I wanted to do that, I'd buy enough presses to fill a hotel room and go to town at $20 a pop.

I have the time and manpower (me, myself and I) to dry clean & press at *most* 8 books within that window.

DRy cleaning 8 books = labor time of 8 hours.

That is a low end estimate.You know that.

I don't need the work.

I have plenty of my own books I need to get pressed & sub at the show.

Adams will be there.I just bought a lot of 250 or so books in the past day with a few 70's Adams Bat keys.

Batman 234 that will likely press up to an 8.0, that is a $1000 GCG SS book in 8.0... I can use that time to press an FF 52 that I also bought yesterday..It's a a sharp 5.0/5.5 that will likely press to an 7.5, maybe an 8.0.That is $500+ difference in GPA for the FF 52, if it's pressed and the Bats 234, if pressed...and Adams throws a decent sketch of Ras on it for a CGC SS slabaroonie...call that another easy $500 in differnce between pressing the book or just a straight sub.

Not to mention the moderns that I am pressing now, as I type this post...Wolverine 66's,Nyx 4's etc etc...I've got plenty of work to keep me busy all of today, and over the weekend.

I am not going to spend hours of the day at the con dry cleaning books (in the spare time when I am not talking and dealing with customers), only to spend another 8+ hours pressing books at my hotel room that night....for what?

Time is a valuable commodity.

:roflmao:

What happens if the press requires more than one session to ensure it doesn't revert back?

Barring the most severe of original states, books that are properly humidified beforehand do not revert back to their pre-pressed state.

If a book needs to be pressed twice, I will do it.

By pressing it twice, I mean repeating the entire cycle twice.

Humidifying the book again, pressing it again and letting it sit undisturbed for 2 hours, after the press is shut off

If a book has heavy water damage, I won't press it.

I read this post several times and I still can't make sense of what you're saying here.

What are you talking about?

CGC is set up at the same show where I am offering onsite pressing and they will be witnessing sigs & accepting subs for both days.

No shipping is involved.

I give a convention attendee a submission form (which I sign after the client fills out the details) for my services;thereby accepting all responsibility for the book(s) while they are in my possesion.

This is clearly noted on the submission form.There is no insurance in the world that covers faulty workmanship.The book(s) are covered against fire and theft, the minute that the book(s) are given to me and the paperwork is complete.

I explicitly state that if any damage is done to a book while the book is in my possession, the client will be reimbursed for the fair market value of the book(s).

The FMV is noted by the client (and signed off on by myself) on the submission form.

Moving onward...on Sunday morning at 10AM, the books will be waiting for the client at my booth.The client picks them up, and walks over to CGC's booth and subs them straight.Or they have the book signed by Adams, Bisley or whoever they want with a CGC witness before the books are subbed.

Or, if the client wants, I can sub the books, under my account or the client's on Sunday.

Accounting for the above, and my replies to Iceman and RMA....you go right ahead and tell me again how this makes me greedy.

Before you put on your anti-CAK hat and marching uniform.....ask yourself what you would value the compensation for your own time and a skill set that you.

On a weekend and in a very time sensitive setting, as well.

I will say one last thing .

We live in a capitalist country.

I am offering a service, which has a monetary benefit to the consumer.If my work is not fairly compensated, by the consumer, I will not perform the task.

As an American, this is my God given right.

Why Do You Hate America?

A wall of back pedaling cak, nice

Why couldn't this have appeared today in comics general???

I'll give you one thing, your comics general quip made me laugh.

I'll give you that, no problem.

Besides that, I gotta tell you that there was no back pedaling on my part, at all. :sumo:

I have several modern books that are high to very high grade. Many have been in my personal collection since I bought them off of the rack many years ago. I am fully aware that small color breaking defects will not be corrected by pressing, as well as what can and can't be pressed out. I want to get them graded, and was debating on pressing them or not. I think some would benefit from a press, but not become perfect. So in general how reliable is pressing in increasing the grade of your average VF or higher books? What are the potential drawbacks? Can pressing (yes I would use a know reliable person), hurt the grade if it is done properly?

Thanks

So in general how reliable is pressing in increasing the grade of your average VF or higher books? Pressing will only increase the value of book if the potential exists. An otherwise perfect book with a 1 inch color breaking crease will not improve from a press, but a book with a stacking curl or waves from moisture will. With comics there is no blanket formula, it is on a book by book basis.

What are the potential drawbacks? The person you give your books to does not know what they are doing, they charge way too much, etc. I was just sent scans of a beautiful ASM 129 that was cooked by someone who advertises pressing on Facebook. I thought the before scan was the "after pressing" scan. For this privilege, the submitter was charged more than most reputable professionals would charge. This formula can be applied to everything from comics to window washing.

Can pressing (yes I would use a know reliable person), hurt the grade if it is done properly? The short answer is no, but a proper pressing does not always equate to a grade bump. Anyone that has submitted books over time knows that you can crack a book out of a slab (say a 9.0 book) and do a straight resub and get back a higher or lower grade. This could be due to the book being over or under graded the first time out.

For anyone looking to get books done you need to look at a few factors, and one of them is insurance. How are your books insured while in the possession of the person doing the work. How will they be stored? Trust factors, etc.