• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Downside to pressing? But not a pressing debate.

60 posts in this topic

A wall of back pedaling cak, nice

Why couldn't this have appeared today in comics general???

I'll give you one thing, your comics general quip made me laugh.

I'll give you that, no problem.

Besides that, I gotta tell you that there was no back pedaling on my part, at all. :sumo:

I'm just having fun with you ;)

and I thought CCS was high for their pressing charges.

The turn around time I am offering is less than 24 hours.

CAK...your prices are crazy, and you're only pressing 8 books...?

Come on, now....

I recall you posting earlier, in another thread, that you won't touch anyone's books for less than $50 (or it might have been $60).

Really? I'd be interested in that quote. Where can I find it?

Regardless, you're charging a minimum of $200 to press a book, right? Or was it $125, plus $75 if it needed cleaning? I can't seem to find the post anymore.

hm

That's quite outside the realm of reason, CAK.

You cited numerous reasons, the gist of them being that most people do not grasp just how much effort is needed to properly and effectively press books, they need to realize that there is much more involved than fifteen bucks worth of labor.I agree with what you posted earlier.

How much would you charge, if you were to offer a turn around time of less than 24 hours?

The same price I would charge for everything else. It's not possible to properly press most books in 24 hours, unless the damage is very, very minor.

Offering "24 hour turnaround" is meaningless, because many books cannot be turned around in 24 hours. You're hoping customers are ignorant, and don't understand this. For a 24 hour turnaround, the price should be less, because you're not able to guarantee the best possible results.

I am not talking about spritzing a book with an iron and slapping it into a press for 2 minutes, then flipping it over like it was a pancake....and then taking it out and letting it "set" under whatever 50 or 100 pounds worth of weight that happens to be lying around.....or whatever is the norm for the onslaught of dolts that I see hawking pressing on various comic sites/Facebook comic groups for the cost of a medium pizza from Domino's :whatev:

If I wanted to do that, I'd buy enough presses to fill a hotel room and go to town at $20 a pop.

I have the time and manpower (me, myself and I) to dry clean & press at *most* 8 books within that window.

DRy cleaning 8 books = labor time of 8 hours.

That is a low end estimate.You know that.

You don't really know what I know, if I haven't said it myself.

An hour to clean a book? Most books require about 5-10 minutes, and yes, that means not leaving eraser marks, too.

I am not going to spend hours of the day at the con dry cleaning books (in the spare time when I am not talking and dealing with customers), only to spend another 8+ hours pressing books at my hotel room that night....for what?

Time is a valuable commodity.

Nonetheless, the price you're asking is not commensurate with either the work needing done, nor the market confidence in your skill.

Be offended if you choose, but your price is not in line with market realities, CAK.

:roflmao:

What happens if the press requires more than one session to ensure it doesn't revert back?

Barring the most severe of original states, books that are properly humidified beforehand do not revert back to their pre-pressed state.

"Proper humidification" is a balancing act. I have had books revert, CCS has had books revert, everyone has had books revert, whether they admit it or not. It's the nature of paper. Were we just not "properly humidifying" the books? I guess if one were to toss the books into a tub, and then put them, soaking wet, into the press, they would be humidified enough. You'll get some interesting results that way, though.

Regardless, you're charging a minimum of $200 to press a book, right? Or was it $125, plus $75 if it needed cleaning? I can't seem to find the post anymore.

Never mind, found it. It was on the other board.

Never mind, found it. It was on the other board.

I wonder why he didn't advertise his awesome services over here :(

Come on, now....

I recall you posting earlier, in another thread, that you won't touch anyone's books for less than $50 (or it might have been $60).You cited numerous reasons, the gist of them being that most people do not grasp just how much effort is needed to properly and effectively press books, they need to realize that there is much more involved than fifteen bucks worth of labor.I agree with what you posted earlier.

How much would you charge, if you were to offer a turn around time of less than 24 hours?

I am not talking about spritzing a book with an iron and slapping it into a press for 2 minutes, then flipping it over like it was a pancake....and then taking it out and letting it "set" under whatever 50 or 100 pounds worth of weight that happens to be lying around.....or whatever is the norm for the onslaught of dolts that I see hawking pressing on various comic sites/Facebook comic groups for the cost of a medium pizza from Domino's :whatev:

If I wanted to do that, I'd buy enough presses to fill a hotel room and go to town at $20 a pop.

I have the time and manpower (me, myself and I) to dry clean & press at *most* 8 books within that window.

I don't need the work.

I have plenty of my own books I need to get pressed & sub at the show.

Adams will be there.I just bought a lot of 250 or so books in the past day with a few 70's Adams Bat keys.

Batman 234 that will likely press up to an 8.0, that is a $1000 GCG SS book in 8.0... I can use that time to press an FF 52 that I also bought yesterday..It's a a sharp 5.0/5.5 that will likely press to an 7.5, maybe an 8.0.That is $500+ difference in GPA for the FF 52, if it's pressed and the Bats 234, if pressed...and Adams throws a decent sketch of Ras on it for a CGC SS slabaroonie...call that another easy $500 in differnce between pressing the book or just a straight sub.

Not to mention the moderns that I am pressing now, as I type this post...Wolverine 66's,Nyx 4's etc etc...I've got plenty of work to keep me busy all of today, and over the weekend.

I am not going to spend hours of the day at the con dry cleaning books (in the spare time when I am not talking and dealing with customers), only to spend another 8+ hours pressing books at my hotel room that night....for what?

So you expect to be compensated about $125-$200 an hour for pressing a comic?

Come on, now....

I recall you posting earlier, in another thread, that you won't touch anyone's books for less than $50 (or it might have been $60).You cited numerous reasons, the gist of them being that most people do not grasp just how much effort is needed to properly and effectively press books, they need to realize that there is much more involved than fifteen bucks worth of labor.I agree with what you posted earlier.

I don't need the work.

I have plenty of my own books I need to get pressed & sub at the show.

Adams will be there.I just bought a lot of 250 or so books in the past day with a few 70's Adams Bat keys.

Batman 234 that will likely press up to an 8.0, that is a $1000 GCG SS book in 8.0... I can use that time to press an FF 52 that I also bought yesterday..It's a a sharp 5.0/5.5 that will likely press to an 7.5, maybe an 8.0.That is $500+ difference in GPA for the FF 52, if it's pressed and the Bats 234, if pressed...and Adams throws a decent sketch of Ras on it for a CGC SS slabaroonie...call that another easy $500 in differnce between pressing the book or just a straight sub.

Not to mention the moderns that I am pressing now, as I type this post...Wolverine 66's,Nyx 4's etc etc...I've got plenty of work to keep me busy all of today, and over the weekend.

So you expect to be compensated about $125-$200 an hour for pressing a comic?

@ 200.00 an hour, working a normal 40 hour work week, is well over 400K a year. Not bad for a job that required no training or education costs. Since pressing is such a great benefit to mankind I'm sure it is well deserved.

I thought time was a flat circle. Sort of fire pit like. :shrug:

Good one....in fact, that is some Jack Handey typa funny ha-ha's.

I'll have to refrain from posting anything else, got show prep to deal with.Rest assured that the hilarity will get back on track ASAP.

Have a good weekend, all.

This is not to start a press or not press debate.

I have several modern books that are high to very high grade. Many have been in my personal collection since I bought them off of the rack many years ago. I am fully aware that small color breaking defects will not be corrected by pressing, as well as what can and can't be pressed out. I want to get them graded, and was debating on pressing them or not. I think some would benefit from a press, but not become perfect. So in general how reliable is pressing in increasing the grade of your average VF or higher books? What are the potential drawbacks? Can pressing (yes I would use a know reliable person), hurt the grade if it is done properly?

Thanks

I don't see any downside to pressing for higher grade. I have pressed hundreds of books, taken them to a higher grade, and gotten more money for them. I bought, from here, and Uncanny X-Men #105 that was listed with a subscription fold and I got almost all of it out and it looks really good. Did the same for somebody's GL #76, with same problem and got most of it out. Customer very happy. I recently pressed a Wonder Woman #184 Adam Hughes and fixed some NCB bends and sold it.

I have several modern books that are high to very high grade. Many have been in my personal collection since I bought them off of the rack many years ago. I am fully aware that small color breaking defects will not be corrected by pressing, as well as what can and can't be pressed out. I want to get them graded, and was debating on pressing them or not. I think some would benefit from a press, but not become perfect. So in general how reliable is pressing in increasing the grade of your average VF or higher books? What are the potential drawbacks? Can pressing (yes I would use a know reliable person), hurt the grade if it is done properly?

Thanks

I don't see any downside to pressing for higher grade. I have pressed hundreds of books, taken them to a higher grade, and gotten more money for them. I bought, from here, and Uncanny X-Men #105 that was listed with a subscription fold and I got almost all of it out and it looks really good. Did the same for somebody's GL #76, with same problem and got most of it out. Customer very happy. I recently pressed a Wonder Woman #184 Adam Hughes and fixed some NCB bends and sold it.

And this is a good thing??? :roflmao:

Thanks

smiling-cat-dislocated-jaw-crooked-broken-duchess10_zpsgql9hz4i.jpg

Thanks

It was good for him and he made more money so that's all that matters. Threads like this annoy me because the answers are all about the financials, never about the book. Do you think doctors discuss procedures with their patients from a strictly financial view. 'Of course you should get this operation, you don't need it, it might hurt you, but I can make more money'. Sad.

Thanks

If it's something you'll sell to someone else, but not something you'll do for your own books, that's where it sounds a little shady.

It's so rare that there's a discussion about pressing, and someone shows their own collection of pressed books, whose manufactured grade they cherish. Its always about the flip.

Thanks

If it's something you'll sell to someone else, but not something you'll do for your own books, that's where it sounds a little shady.

It's so rare that there's a discussion about pressing, and someone shows their own collection of pressed books, whose manufactured grade they cherish. Its always about the flip.

This post is worthy of being enshrined. :sumo::hi:

Thanks

I have pressed a lot of my own books. I recently bought a bunch of 90's update price guide, from Chip, and some of them were warped from water damage. I was able to fix around 95% of the warping. Like I mentioned above, I pressed an X-Men 105, that I am keeping, I pressed a dinged core to an Avengers ann 10, that I bought from the boards and am keeping. I don't hide my pressing.

I press my own books before subbing them, have been dry cleaning books for about 4 years, started pressing a bit more than 2 years ago.

It took me a solid year of pressing to really know what I'm doing, it takes a lot of patience and working with paper in a learning experience.I believe that even the most experienced pressers are constantly honing their techniques and improving.

That said, I am not looking to take on any pressing work, I have my hands full with my own books....just posting up the above to give you an idea of where I'm coming from....

hm

I am not looking to take on any pressing work.

Eh, come on now.Semantics much?

There is a difference between looking for regular clients for pressing work and offering to press a small amount of books onsite at a 2 day convention.

By small amount, I mean just what I posted in that link.

No more than 8 books, grand total for that show.

I figured since CGC and the other guys will be set up taking subs on both days....if I am stuck in a hotel room over night, I might as well make the best use of my time.

I'm curious, did you press any books during the show at the listed prices?