• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics out performing Stocks since 2008!!!

65 posts in this topic

If I could use the last 8 years of hindsight and cherry-pick my stock buys in the way that was done to select investment-worthy comics for the linked piece, then I could crush the stock market, too. Just saying.

I didnt read the article but a non-cherry picked portfolio of top comics from eight years ago would still have done pretty good. I'm not talking about Walking Dead, that few could have predicted. Nor $100,000 books that few could afford.

GS X-Men 1, Hulk 181, Avengers 1 and 4, Brave and Bold 28, Spider-Man 14, books an average guy could afford to salt away.

But my point has been...

If you were looking to "invest" in the 90's you wouldn't have been buying those books. You would have been buying up foil covers, Image #1's, etc. And while some of those have been appreciating you wouldn't have had returns that outdid the stock market.

You guys try waaaay to hard to prove how modern drek has failed its investors..

Just look HERE and witness one epic fail after the next... By the hundreds!

point me towards all the billionaire comic book collectors

Thank you for mentioning again the matter of scale. It's why my post in another thread on the same subject mentioned having a hundred thousand dollars to invest. A retirement nest egg isn't going to cut it by investing in Hulk 181, GS X-Men 1 or the like. Investing in stocks has the scale that comic investing lacks in all but a very tiny handful of rare and high grade examples.

If I could use the last 8 years of hindsight and cherry-pick my stock buys in the way that was done to select investment-worthy comics for the linked piece, then I could crush the stock market, too. Just saying.

I didnt read the article but a non-cherry picked portfolio of top comics from eight years ago would still have done pretty good. I'm not talking about Walking Dead, that few could have predicted. Nor $100,000 books that few could afford.

GS X-Men 1, Hulk 181, Avengers 1 and 4, Brave and Bold 28, Spider-Man 14, books an average guy could afford to salt away.

But my point has been...

If you were looking to "invest" in the 90's you wouldn't have been buying those books. You would have been buying up foil covers, Image #1's, etc. And while some of those have been appreciating you wouldn't have had returns that outdid the stock market.

Glad I didn't "Invest" in those 90's books back in the 90's. I was buying low grade Hulk 181, Crow 1, FF 48 and a few others I could barley afford. Sure I bought Spawn 1 but not to "invest" The comic store owner would put aside every #1 that came out and was gonna give them to his 5 year old at the time for when he gets older, fast forward 20-25 years...I can see it now "Here you go, I saved 300 pounds of printed paper for you to resell"

Reports like this will hopefully help the hobby.

If by help, you mean hurt it for collectors.

Thank you for mentioning again the matter of scale. It's why my post in another thread on the same subject mentioned having a hundred thousand dollars to invest. A retirement nest egg isn't going to cut it by investing in Hulk 181, GS X-Men 1 or the like. Investing in stocks has the scale that comic investing lacks in all but a very tiny handful of rare and high grade examples.

A mix of the two has worked for me. I'm sitting on approx 1000 books that will easily auction for over $100 a pop and doubt I'm into them for more than $40 each. I didn't reach my original goal of 100 $1,000 but I didn't miss by all that much. Some of them cost me under $100. Most cost me less than half what I'll get for them.

Right now I'm clearing out my lower value books. I no longer want to dedicate an entire room to my books.

Selling $500-$1000 a month thru auction sites is a part of my retirement portfolio. Liquidity isn't a problem as long as you don't need the money tomorrow. If I need cash ASAP, that's what stocks are for., and my three month emergency stash.

But my point has been...

You guys try waaaay to hard to prove how modern drek has failed its investors..

Just look HERE and witness one epic fail after the next... By the hundreds!

Well, if you are talking about Moderns, then it's probably more like absolute thousands of epic losers for every one lonely winner out there. :gossip:

:hi:

That's not from comics.

That's from the appreciation of your 300 square foot condo in downtown Vancouver.

Boy, and I thought it was all of those foreign buyers which they have been talking about on the news everyday, when it was really Greggy all the time. doh!

I guess we should have known it all along. Who else could have been behind ordinary houses in the city going from only $3.2 million and then being flipped 5 times within the past 2 years before settling in at a paltry $7.6 million dollars. (tsk):mad:

But my point has been...

Glad I didn't "Invest" in those 90's books back in the 90's. I was buying low grade Hulk 181, Crow 1, FF 48 and a few others I could barley afford. Sure I bought Spawn 1 but not to "invest" The comic store owner would put aside every #1 that came out and was gonna give them to his 5 year old at the time for when he gets older, fast forward 20-25 years...I can see it now "Here you go, I saved 300 pounds of printed paper for you to resell"

+1

Lines up exactly and so appropriate with another post which I had written in another thread the other night' as follows:

Reminds me of the first time I was down at the SD Con in the very early 90's.

McFarlane was the rage at the time and all of the hucksters had the so-called super rare Platinum edition of Spidey 1 up on their walls at the bargain basement price of only $1,000. :screwy:

One dealer laughed at me when he saw that I had picked up uber HG copies of Captain America 29 & 31 for $1,000 and said that I was throwing my money away as these books would be worthless when the old timers left the hobby. hm

Went on to say that I would be missing the opportunity of a lifetime if I passed on the Spidey 1 for the same $1,000 as I would never ever see it again at that price. Turns out he was 100% dead right on that point as it went straight down to about $100 over time and has probably only moved up at a snail's pace from there. So, not much chance of seeing it at $1,000 again. :tonofbricks:

And in the meantime, it turns out the two Caps will most likely never see $1,000 again as they have moved up quite nicely in guide from that $1K mark to almost $14,000 now with the old geezers leaving the marketplace. :whee:

All I can say is most of my collection was purchased for pennies on the dollar. That's doing a helluva lot better than my 401K.

My 401k has appreciated pretty dramatically since 2008. All that buying through 2009-2012 has really paid off. For the average person, dollar cost averaging in the stock market over a lifetime of working will make them reasonable wealth. It just takes patience and the ability to stay the course.

The problem is that a lot of people get scared and sell when they should be buying and get excited when it is pretty much the worst time to buy.

All I can say is most of my collection was purchased for pennies on the dollar. That's doing a helluva lot better than my 401K.

That's just dumb luck though. It wasn't until relatively recently that people have started 'investing' in comics. Before it was just comic geeks wanting cool books.

Heck if I just had two weeks hindsight I'd have been buying Nintendo stock.

I recommended it in 2014!

6th post down!