• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tales to Astonish 27 cover?

46 posts in this topic

and his response was????

Here's his response:

"The art offering is the first time ayers did both the penciling and inking for this cover! The 1959 cover ayers recreated some other artist penciling into a final inked cover ! Unfortunately Ayers didn't do the penciling on this 1959 astonish cover! Which diminishes it's value! It's always better to have the artist do both Pencils and ink in the same cover art! The original cover I'm offering has ayers doing both the pencils and inks for the entire cover! I overlooked that fact thanks for reminding me! I will adjust the price upward shortly "

:insane:

And he did . . . now at $25,000. lol

I guess he showed us. :insane:

Now up to $55,000 and a modified description. While most will not agree with his take at least this new description is more honest as to what he is actually selling. The only thing that he doesn't state is when exactly this cover was created. Looking at the description you see 1959 1959 1959 1959. Still the newly placed disclaimer is likely to keep trigger fingers away until they can ask the right questions.

I didn't realize Ayers died last year! Sorry I have raised the price of this first Antman cover to a firm not accepting any offer less then my asking price! This is an original comic art to tales to astonish 27 created by Ayers this one was completed "after" he drew the original one in 1959! The cover I'm offering is the first time Ayers did "both" the "penciling and the inking" ! Which is even better then the 1959 cover since in that cover Ayers only did the inking not the penciling! Ayers is famous for his creating the original astonish cover for issue 27 in 1959! He "redrew" this " Historic" cover completely both in pen and ink at a later date by his own Hand! Which I am offering for the first time ever! This is a "landmark" cover here on ebay. This is the first appearance and origin of the now famous Ant-man. The Art is in excellent condition and is twice up art 17 by 23 approx size! I heard that the first 1959 cover by Ayers no longer exists! If it did still exist no telling how many millions it would bring! Still I if not for the "difference in values" I would rather have the one I'm offering because this one is solely by Ayers! Blows away the one done in 1959!

For fun, I asked the seller to justify the price on this recreation, and received this reply:

"If it were the original published 10cent cover it would be worth $3 million. I'm only asking pocket change of $15k however it's done by the same artist when he dies the value will jump to 6 figures! My add clearly says its not he the published 10cent cover"

Keep dreaming... :insane:

Ayers passed away in 2014

Also TOS 27 didn't come out in 1959. It's from 1962. When Ayers was doing recreations (starting in 1994) I'm not sure there was a hard and fast rule that he would do only one of them. There might be other versions not unlike this one -- or there might not be.

Plus, IIRC, Sotheby's deal was that the original penciler "recreated" (and there are other threads that cover what that verb means) all the iconic covers also, with the original inker providing inks, again. So there's probably also a "Kirby" version that "Ayers" also inked that's "worth" "monies."