• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why doesn't CGC labels talk about Spidey's 2nd/3rd appearances?

27 posts in this topic

^ it was, but the discussion ended the same way this one is going - still no definitive reason why the community views ASM1 as his 2nd appearance, ASM2 as his 3rd appearance, but no indication from CGC as such

Maybe because it's so well known, they just take it for granted. You can call or email CGC and ask them.

Maybe it's part of a shadowy, cosmic conspiracy so we don't all consider ASM#1 in the context of other second appearances of major Marvel characters, all of which it dwarfs in value in comparable grade, presumably because Spidey is more popular than the rest AND (in probably too large part if we are honest with ourselves) because it says #1 on the cover.

Hmm....would the market suddenly drive up the price of JIM #84, TOS #40, Hulk #2 etc or crash Spidey #1? Probably neither, but it is a fun if slightly tangential thought that this thread brought up in my mind.

Might be blasphemy, but I could see a reasonable argument for a closer gap among all those second appearances, with Spidey atop the heap. I could even see An argument for Hulk #2 being neck and neck. Makes me wonder, if there internet chat boards in the '70s might we have found folks contending that Tec 27 should knock off Marvel Comics #1; that Cap #1 and All-Star #8 are undervalued; that All-Star #3 is overvalued, etc....

I think I just talked myself into buying some things I wasn't planning on.....?

^ it was, but the discussion ended the same way this one is going - still no definitive reason why the community views ASM1 as his 2nd appearance, ASM2 as his 3rd appearance, but no indication from CGC as such

Maybe because it's so well known, they just take it for granted.

If "well known" is being considered, then there's no need to mention Superman on Action #1. lol

If "well known" is being considered, then there's no need to mention Superman on Action #1. lol

But CGC consistently (as much as they consistently do anything) notes first appearances. How many characters have second appearances noted?

The community doesn't "view" any of that. Those are simple facts, regardless of whether a specific entity explicitly acknowledges them.

It doesn't matter what CGC issue notes appear on a label. They are meaningless. They don't change anything about the book. Even worse, they are inconsistent and sometimes inaccurate.

But CGC consistently (as much as they consistently do anything) notes first appearances. How many characters have second appearances noted?

Wolverine, Batman, Superman all have their second appearances noted on labels