• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Block Buster Reviews on Rotten Tomato

3 posts in this topic

This blog posting is too funny:

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/best-reviewed-summer-blockbusters-by-year/

They are looking at block buster movies over the years, with reviews from the past few years. I've seen some of the reviews for Star Wars in 1977 and they were not pretty. But Rotten Tomato shows the tomato meter at 93%... from reviews in recent years! :facepalm:

This posting is them trying to justify the mismatch between critic and audience reviews.

Maybe I'm the only one who can see the humor in what they are trying to do here.

This would be like saying A Miracle on 34th Street or It's a Wonderful Life had high critical marks because today's reviews rank them high. These movies were notoriously thrashed by critics when they came out but are considered classics today.

This would be like saying A Miracle on 34th Street or It's a Wonderful Life had high critical marks because today's reviews rank them high. These movies were notoriously thrashed by critics when they came out but are considered classics today.

Critics never cared for corny Hollwood endings in any era. :makepoint:

What was it, during the Me Decade that "It's a Wonderful Life" was rediscovered?

there are a lot of reviewers that get to submit under critic that are just "some guy on some blog.com", that have no accountability for inaccurate reviews, bias, etc

and the big reviewers, especially given what was revealed in the games industry, no doubt have some amount of nepotism/kick backs going, plus their own biases.

In the pre-internet eras critics were far more accountable to their reviews imo, though obviously some amount of nepotism and bias will always exist.

Modern day reviews, essentially crowd-sourcing reviews, are probably less accurate in the specifity, but more accurate in their aggregate.

If you want to know if a movie is "generally good" or "generally bad" you are far more likely to agree with the crowd-sourced answer, then "one guy" who might not always share your tastes etc. The very fact that people no look more to a mark out of 10, shows the declining accuracy. Each individual "point" is easier to debate.

If you took all the 10.0/100% ratings and shift them to 4 stars, in .5 increments, I think they will be pretty spot on, 99% of the time.