• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will OA prices ever surpass comic book prices ?

171 posts in this topic

If both were equal in value and I had the cash, the McSpidey 1 cover would be hanging on my wall.

That type of sickness requires a psychological evaluation

If you cannot recognize a Mona Lisa that is ASM 1 when you see it, then I cannot help you

doh!

meh! I think the Kirby inks ruined the cover.

blasphemy :o

I always thought they were two excellent artists separately but combined the results aren't pretty 2c The whole is less than the sum of the parts with these two

its interesting to me that in terms of Highest priced originals by comic book artists, you go through Trimpe, Macfarlane, Miller, Adams, Byrne, Kane, Guardanier, Romita Sr., Robinson, and Wrightson before you get to Kirby.

The fact that Herb Trimpe (Herb :censored: ing Trimpe!) is sitting there at the top of the mountain is the biggest indictment of comic OA collecting there is.

The panel with the first appearance of Wolverine could have been drawn by Christy Brown, and it would have brought the same money.

Sometimes the subject matter sets the price beyond aesthetics.

You're right. THAT's the biggest indictment of comic OA collecting.

its interesting to me that in terms of Highest priced originals by comic book artists, you go through Trimpe, Macfarlane, Miller, Adams, Byrne, Kane, Guardanier, Romita Sr., Robinson, and Wrightson before you get to Kirby.

The fact that Herb Trimpe (Herb :censored: ing Trimpe!) is sitting there at the top of the mountain is the biggest indictment of comic OA collecting there is.

The panel with the first appearance of Wolverine could have been drawn by Christy Brown, and it would have brought the same money.

(thumbs u

No different than Anything else Tim including fine art. Why u mad bro?

OA are one of kind pieces and if the best pieces were ever on the market I'm sure they would easily set records that comic books have not seen. Who could put a price tag on the cover of an AF#15 or say the FF#1.

Perhaps, but the funny thing about us folks on this board is that we love to speculate on the price a really cool piece of art will bring to market, and more times than not, the speculate estimate exceeds the realized price.

Ok so we'd speculate Y million and it would only be X million :insane: It would be some heck of an auction either way

PULEEEEZE!!!

We have a long way to go to get to:

shark.jpg

Regardless of what a piece looks like, when it's the panel that's given birth to well over a billion dollars in IP, it's significant, even if it were a stick figure.

Yeah but that's a group buy... apples and oranges

true.

If the ASM 33 pg 5 splash hit the open market, it would rank fairly high on the list.

Side note: I LOVE Kirby w/ Ditko inks; FF 13 holds a special place in my heart because of it (along with the FF 14 cover). :)

edit: re: ASM 33 - which I'd hate to see, a masterpiece such as that ought not be broken up.

18oyjb.jpg

In my world, the original art, with the cover and two dozen unique one of a kind pages, as individual components should always surpass the mass produced comic book from which the original art was published in, regardless of variant status or high grade. Furthermore, I would value original art pages also being at least 10x the value of the comic book.

I know there are exception which has occurred like that "My Little Pony" 1 of 1 comic book selling higher than the one of a kind original art for that cover, which to me is baffling. I also see some of those sexy Zenescope modern covers where the original art sometimes sells for the sane or less than the aftermarket value of the published comic book. It's odd but does happen.

So, when comparing the mass produced comic vs the art, to me, the comic should always lose.

Would you rather have an "Amazing Fantasy #15 in CGC 10 or even 9.8,whether signature series by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko... or opt to own the original cover art or an interior page?

Sure, there are population reports touting highest known grade and such for comics, but at the end of the day is is a mass produced artifact, where you know the art is guaranteed one of a kind.

In that way, to me, the artwork is the master and the comic book servant in that hierarchy.

But, if looking at it as a hobby and industry, I would say as a whole, annually, more money is pumped into comic books than original comic art.

If you consider how long comics have been collected verses how long original art has been collected, comic art is a very young hobby with much room to grow. We have seen many "grail" type comics come up for sale through the years (8.5 Detective 27, 9.0 Action Comics 1, several high grade AF 15's etc), but not as many of the same caliber of original art.

I can say the one grail type of art I saw for sale, but simply didn't have the money was the entire book of X-Men 1 for $300k about 15 years ago. What are those pages worth today? I can bet the page 1 splash alone would bring close to that amount.

When Frank Miller Dark Knight pieces bring in the MID 6 figures, one can only imagine what covers from the 60's and 70's would bring if they ever hit the market. The other issue I feel that hurts art is the survival rate. Obviously a one of a kind verses a mass produced item can't be compared.

AKA Rick

Amazing fantasy 15 is actually a perfect demonstration of why arbitrary rules of thumb like that don't work. I would all day, every day, take a 10.0 af15 (heck even an 8.0) over a page from one of the non Spider-Man stories in the book, and so too , no doubt, would you!

AKA Rick

Amazing fantasy 15 is actually a perfect demonstration of why arbitrary rules of thumb like that don't work. I would all day, every day, take a 10.0 af15 (heck even an 8.0) over a page from one of the non Spider-Man stories in the book, and so too , no doubt, would you!

I'm all but certain that such a copy would fetch more than at least some, if not all, of the individual Spidey story interior pages as well. To own the single best copy - in perfect condition - of the first appearance of Spider-Man? That would surely fetch insane money. I mean, a 9.6 sold for $1.1 million; I suspect the powers-that-be would bid a 9.9 or 10.0 up to Action 1 9.0 type levels. At least a "2" handle in the worst case, and I doubt the worst Spidey story page from AF15 would fetch that much. 2c

I disagree with that. No one says that a Monet with a bridge in it is automatically more valuable than a Monet with a boat in it, or that a Monet with 2 boats is more valuable than one with 1 boat, or that the first Monet with a lily is worth more than the second Monet with a lily (I realize that I've just lost a lot of the audience here who are furiously flipping through their Overstreets trying to find this Monet guy :insane: ).

In fine art, it ultimately does come down to aesthetics. You may disagree with the aesthetic choice (perhaps you don't think Picasso's cubist period is all that great), but it does come down to aesthetics.

In contrast, as Chris rightly pointed out, the only driving factor in the Hulk 180 page was that it was the first appearance of Wolverine, and the aesthetic and artist was completely irrelevant. It could've been Frank Robbins, one of the most hated artists in history, or Neal Adams, one of the most revered, and the price probably would've been more or less the same.

AKA Rick

I'm all but certain that such a copy would fetch more than at least some, if not all, of the individual Spidey story interior pages as well. To own the single best copy - in perfect condition - of the first appearance of Spider-Man? That would surely fetch insane money. I mean, a 9.6 sold for $1.1 million; I suspect the powers-that-be would bid a 9.9 or 10.0 up to Action 1 9.0 type levels. At least a "2" handle in the worst case, and I doubt the worst Spidey story page from AF15 would fetch that much. 2c

But what about compared to the OA of the cover of AF 15? Would it not be more valuable than a 9.6 copy (let's assume that there are no better copies out there)?

I would rather have the AF 15 cover OA than a 9.6 copy.

18oyjb.jpg

lol