• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Black Monday Murders by Jonathan Hickman

30 posts in this topic

I thought it was much better than most stuff I read. Not as good as East of West but definitely worth picking up. Most likely a TPB reader for me. I'm impatient so I buy EoW as it comes out but still think it reads better in trades or multiple issues at a time as opposed to one and done.

Still, I'd highly recommend this book just don't expect a thoughtless or easy read. This one strained me a little in the thinking department. 2c

Finally got around to reading this.

This has a real Fatale meets, I don't know, maybe Invisibles, sort of vibe. I admit that I've had my eye on this one for a while, I'm an amateur student of economics and history, I like stories that deal with the occult or supernatural - it seems almost surgically targeted towards me, but... I don't know.

There's an awful lot of out of story exposition. I'd hit a break in the flow and suddenly I'm looking at what reminds me of a loading screen in a video game, and oh look, there's a helpful tip about the world of BMM. I don't like that, if this were a movie I'd say 'show, don't tell', but in this instance I guess I'd have to say 'show, but not like that.'

The art... it's awfully dark, and somewhat annoyingly filtered with these scribbles and lines and black ink overlaying everything. I don't really feel like all of the visuals need to be so oppressive (red and black) to convey what they're attempting to convey (consider Fatale if I can reference that a second time), but maybe that will be shaken up over time. A good first issue always attempts to set the overall tone, and with a title and subject matter like this, I can give a pass for the color scheme... I don't know about the filtering though.

Overall... I'll be back for forthcoming issues, but this one didn't grab me by the throat as I was hoping it would.

3/5

This has a real Fatale meets, I don't know, maybe Invisibles, sort of vibe. I admit that I've had my eye on this one for a while, I'm an amateur student of economics and history, I like stories that deal with the occult or supernatural - it seems almost surgically targeted towards me, but... I don't know.

There's an awful lot of out of story exposition. I'd hit a break in the flow and suddenly I'm looking at what reminds me of a loading screen in a video game, and oh look, there's a helpful tip about the world of BMM. I don't like that, if this were a movie I'd say 'show, don't tell', but in this instance I guess I'd have to say 'show, but not like that.'

The art... it's awfully dark, and somewhat annoyingly filtered with these scribbles and lines and black ink overlaying everything. I don't really feel like all of the visuals need to be so oppressive (red and black) to convey what they're attempting to convey (consider Fatale if I can reference that a second time), but maybe that will be shaken up over time. A good first issue always attempts to set the overall tone, and with a title and subject matter like this, I can give a pass for the color scheme... I don't know about the filtering though.

Overall... I'll be back for forthcoming issues, but this one didn't grab me by the throat as I was hoping it would.

3/5

Read issue 1 the other day and I was not grabbed by it. 2.5/5

I was hoping for more based on forum reviews.

3/5

Read issue 1 the other day and I was not grabbed by it. 2.5/5

I was hoping for more based on forum reviews.

It is a good read, but alot to absorb