• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CW Seed's FREEDOM FIGHTERS: THE RAY (2017)

11 posts in this topic

CW Introduces FREEDOM FIGHTERS: THE RAY Animated Show

Deadline is reporting Freedom Fighters: The Ray, co-created by Arrowverse producers Greg Berlanti and Marc Guggenheim, will debut in 2017 and feature the first gay superhero to lead a television series. Additionally, The Ray will be introduced with the potential to crossover to the live-action DC Comics universe on The CW, following in the footsteps of Vixen.

Furthermore, Freedom Fighters: The Ray will be adapting the Raymond “Ray” Terrill version of the character from the DC Comics. According to Deadline, Terrill was a reporter investigating a group of government scientists working on weaponizing light. However, when one of the scientists attempted to kill Terrill with a “genetic light bomb,” it gave him light-based powers. In an effort to fight injustice with his new powers, and calling himself The Ray, Terrill was recruited to the Freedom Fighters to battle violence and oppression.

qLeXC8p.png

Edited by Bosco685

ARROW Boss Teases ‘Freedom Fighters: The Ray’ Update

Collider spoke with Arrow boss and executive producer Marc Guggenheim for an update on Freedom Fighters: The Ray, which follow the title character of a Golden Age hero who can manipulate, and become light for various purposes. As with Vixen star Megalyn E.K., the role will be cast in mind for an eventual live-action debut, though Guggenheim teased news would be coming on both those fronts:

"We just finished the outline for [Freedom Fighters:] The Ray. I’ve got my writing staff assembled, we’re all working on it. I’m actually really excited about it, not just because the project’s cool, but because basically we’re going about writing it a different way than we did Vixen. It’s a bit more ambitious. It ties into an announcement that’s going to be made about Vixen pretty soon. So expect a Vixen announcement that I think is very, very cool, and we’re moving forward on The Ray."

Wow! That took a long while.

The CW has released the first trailer for Freedom Fighters: The Ray, a new animated series appearing on CW Seed this fall. And while The Ray will be part of the Arrowverse, fans will be pretty surprised at how Green Arrow, the Flash, and Supergirl will appear in the upcoming series.

The trailer reveals that The Ray is set on Earth X, an alternate universe where the Nazis won World War II and now occupy the United States. While the Ray is part of a superhero team that's leading the resistance against the German occupation force, the CW's other superheroes are fighting for the other side.

In addition to evil versions of the Super Friends (or whatever we're calling it when the CW gathers all of its heroes together,) the trailer also gives us a first look at the Freedom Fighters, whose roster also includes Phantom Lady, Red Tornado, Black Condor, and an unidentified member. We even see both Red Tornado and Black Condor in action against Supergirl, the Flash, and Green Arrow.

The series will debut on CW Seed as a digital first series, although there is potential for the Ray to crossover into Arrow or one of the other DCTV series. After all, Vixen also started off as an animated character and was eventually incorporated into the larger Arrowverse universe.

CW Seed’s ‘Freedom Fighters: The Ray’ Will Take on Nazi Doppelgängers

Executive producer Marc Guggenheim, part of the brain trust behind The CW’s excellent superhero series, is anxious for fans to meet this new hero. It’ll be the first time that a gay superhero takes the lead in a show, so it’s already got that milestone going for it. Guggenheim also previously teased that his writing team had “a couple of ideas that, if they come to fruition, you’ll see some of these Arrowverse characters in ways you never saw them before.” He wasn’t kidding.

Guggenheim recently chatted with TV Line about Freedom Fighters: The Ray. For starters, here’s his explanation for the title:

“It’s called Freedom Fighters: The Ray for a very specific reason, which is we knew we wanted to establish the Freedom Fighters and Earth-X. In Multiversity, Grant Morrison came up with an idea we really responded to: The Freedom Fighters are made up of various minorities targeted by Nazis—women, gay men, Jews. We wanted to honor that idea. At the same time, it’s an origin story about the Earth-1 iteration of The Ray.”

Other super-villains include evil Nazi counterparts of The Flash and Green Arrow, but Cisco, Mr. Terrific and Vixen will also be in the mix to help even the odds. I’m excited to see how it all plays out and Guggenheim is ready to share it with the world:

"What’s been fun about the CW Seed series is, with each one, we’ve learned something new and been able to apply it to the next one. So Vixen Season 2 is better than Season 1. And The Ray is stronger than Vixen Season 2. I’m thrilled with the way things are shaping up."

Arrowverse Crossover: Quantico’s Russell Tovey Cast As The Ray

Russell-Tovey-The-Ray.jpg?cs=tinysrgb&q=

Russell Tovey has been cast as DC superhero The Ray in this year’s Arrowverse crossover. Tovey will also voice the character in his own animated series that will air on CW Seed, Freedom Fighters: The Ray. The Ray has been touted as the first gay superhero to headline his own series.

TVLine reports that English actor and Quantico star Russell Tovey will play Ray Terrill in the Arrowverse crossover and voice the character in the animated series. It had been hinted last year that The Ray would eventually appear in one of the live-action shows,  just as Megalyn Echikunwoke’s Vixen guest-starred in a season 4 episode of Arrow.

The Arrowverse crossover takes place across two nights on Monday, November 27th and Tuesday, November 28th on The CW. Freedom Fighters: The Ray airs on CW Seed later this year.

And now the world of Ray and the Freedom Force has been introduced this week.

"Crisis on Earth-X": Who Is The Ray?

ar608c-0309b-1059378-640x320.jpg

The much-anticipated "Crisis on Earth-X" crossover kicks off tonight, giving Arrowverse fans plenty to take in. Aside from uniting over 20 of The CW's heroes onscreen, the crossover also gave fans a look at a new hero: The Ray.

Hailing from the Nazi-ruled Earth-X, Ray Terrill/The Ray (Russell Tovey) joined the Arrowverse's heroes in their crusade after Earth-X soldiers crashed the wedding of Barry Allen/The Flash (Grant Gustin) and Iris West (Candice Patton).

So, who is The Ray? Arrowverse fans have heard the name for quite some time, with the Freedom Fighters: The Ray animated series being in development for years. But for those unfamiliar with Ray Terrill's DC Comics history, here are some highlights.

The Ray has the ability to absorb and process light, which gives him the powers of flight, light rays, and even invisibility.

Ray is actually a DC legacy character, with his father Lanford "Happy" Terrill serving as the original The Ray. On his deathbed, Happy tells his young son that his powers will activate in exposure to direct sunlight. Fearing that he won't be able to control the power, Ray is kept in darkness.

Ray is later visited by a younger version of his father, who convinces him to take on the mantle. Ray accepts, but his story is only beginning.

Interview: Russell Tovey Talks 'Freedom Fighters', "Crisis on Earth-X", and His Hopes for The Ray

russell-tovey-freedom-fighters-the-ray-1

Today marks the premiere of Freedom Fighters: The Ray, the latest DC Comics animated series to premiere on CW Seed. But for Arrowverse fans, it will be just another chapter in the already-loved story of Ray Terrill/The Ray (Russell Tovey).

ComicBook.com: How did it feel having your introduction into the Arrowverse be this gigantic, four show crossover?

Russell Tovey: It was magical. To carry that responsibility on my shoulders was an honor. And I was fearful and nervous, definitely. And I did feel the pressure, and I wanted to make sure that he was right. I wanted to be respectful to that, and I'm really thrilled and relieved and over the moon that people have really responded so well to him.

What sort of comic research did you do in order to play Ray? I know there's 25 years of source material just about this iteration of the character.

Russell Tovey: Well, what's wonderful is when I started talking to Marc Guggenheim about it, and Greg Berlanti's studios, they sent me a care package. Which basically was like, 15 reference points for The Ray, all the comics that have been printed, all the literature on him. So I was able to really delve in and discover who this guy is prior to flying out for costume fittings, prior to styling the animation, prior to doing the live actions. I had an opportunity to really delve into this guy and, you know, I wanted to get it right. I wanted to get him right, and I wanted to not let people down, and I wanted to give something for people who didn't know the Ray, to give them someone that they would really wanna spend time with, and project onto, and hang out with.

That's pretty cool that they are keeping the actors fed full of reference material with the Arrowverse.